Will House Baratheon survive?

Mr. Kraken

Those are just the reasons Stannis would do it by personality. Edric could be in the grasp of the enemy, Gendry is closer anyway. There are tons of them.

For all the people saying 'breeding' and 'education' they miss that this isn't a simple situation. Its wartime. Edric's 11.

I think he would see Gendry's qualities. They share even the same sense of duty it seems and got some experience from the war.

Of course he would need to learn how to read at least, but that didn't stop Davos either,

You could honestly make this thread about any of the houses.

"Dany has been exiled from Westeros her entire life and was last seen wandering around the desert and Aegon is about as much as a Targaryen as I am, will the Targaryens survive???"

"The last three heads of House Stark have all been murdered and their children are scattered across the globe, will House Stark survive???"

"The Head of House Tully is a prisoner of the Lannisters and his land has been confiscated, will House Tully survive???"

My point is the War of the Five Kings fucked everybody over in equal measure, it's not fair to single out the Baratheons for some unknowable reason. If anything I'd put them in my favorites to survive. They have Stannis after all.

It could have survived it Selyse's uncle's plan to wed Tommen and Shireen had been sucessful. Tommen may be a Lannister, but his children with Shireen would have Baratheon blood and surname. Of course, Stannis would have never abided that.

Why should he?

No, Martin heavily implied that not all the Great Houses will survive the series, and I think the Baratheons are the most likely to come to an end.

I disagree, I think it is the Greyjoys.

I think its entirely possible that Stannis, (or someone else in authority when all this is done-Daenerys or King Jon) will legitimize one of Robert's bastards-probably Edric Storm thus saving the Baratheon line.

I think it will be Dany that does that at Tyrion's behest. But after a betrayal, will try to Edric imprisoned on suspicion of betrayal given he is the Usurper's son. I think Edric will then fulfill a parallel to Addam Velaryon, and win a battle to prove his loyalty at the cost of his own life.

I think House Baratheon will survive via the legitimization of Gendry. I think he will Lord of SE in the end with Arya as his wife. It ends up being Arya who marries Robert's son, instead of Sansa.

Hi, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But I noticed something interesting looking at the kings/lords of the Stormlands.

According to legend, in the Age of Heroes, the first Storm King, Durran, won the love of Elenei, the daughter of the sea god and the goddess of the wind. Her divine parents forbade their love, but Durran and Elenei wed despite them. The gods’ wrath was terrible to behold, destroying Durran's keep on his wedding night, killing all his family and guests. Enraged, Durran declared war on the gods, who replied by hammering his kingdom with massive storms. Each time King Durran built a castle to face the sea the gods destroyed it.[1]
- Link

During the War of Conquest Orys and Rhaenys Targaryen with her dragon, Meraxes, were tasked with taking Storm's End. The Storm King, Argilac Durrendon, hearing of the fate of Harrenhal, knew his formidable walls would not protect him from dragonfire. Argilac rode out to give open battle. Orys slew Argilac the Arrogant, the last Storm King.

After the battle, Argella Durrendon, the daughter of Argilac, declared herself the Storm Queen and continued to hold Storm's End until her household turned against her to avoid the same fate of Harrenhal. They delivered her to Orys, naked and chained. Orys, however, covered her with his cloak and treated her chivalrously.

Aegon rewarded Orys with Storm's End. Orys took Argella as his wife and adopted the stag banner, honors and words of the Durrendons, Ours is the Fury, forming House Baratheon.[4][2]

- Link

So, according to legend, the Durrendon's have divine blood, through the female line. When the last Storm King of House Durrendon died his blood lived on, through the female line.

I wonder if this isn't foreshadowing for the endgame. That the blood, if not name, of House Baratheon will live on, through the female line. In other words, Shireen marries someone who possibly changes the name of the ruling House of the Stormlands.

Yes but it's name will fade. If Shireen had 3 sons. The first would be crownprince the second would be lord of storms end the last one would get dragonstone.

no no no

There are matrillineal marriages.

Brienne is the last of her line, but the name won't die with her because her husband will be taking her name in all likelihood, as Tarth seems to be an old house.

Hi, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But I noticed something interesting looking at the kings/lords of the Stormlands.

- Link

- Link

So, according to legend, the Durrendon's have divine blood, through the female line. When the last Storm King of House Durrendon died his blood lived on, through the female line.

I wonder if this isn't foreshadowing for the endgame. That the blood, if not name, of House Baratheon will live on, through the female line. In other words, Shireen marries someone who possibly changes the name of the ruling House of the Stormlands.

This just makes me feel like Mya Stone will be the key. Shireen got that Greyscale to contend with.

If you want to be shippy about it. Durren is known for building, he works, he is of the same archetype as the Smith. He married the daughter of wind and water. Arya is the daughter of the river and the winds of winter. Legend says Durrens house kept getting destroyed by the gods until a Stark helped him build it. Roberts house fell, Renlys house fell, Stannis is doomed, it will take the long desired Stark union to build the house again to last.

How do we know Steffon Baratheon doesn't have any siblings ?

They would have been mentioned by now, or at least any relatives like cousins. The only immediate Baratheons that existed were Steffon, his father and (presumably) his uncle Harbert.

It seems that the Baratheons simply never produce many heirs and mostly males. They just do enough to continue the line although their genes are extremely dominant.

I think that might simply be an artistic choice by GRRM and is very in vein with the Baratheons general attitude.

They would have been mentioned by now, or at least any relatives like cousins. The only immediate Baratheons that existed were Steffon, his father and (presumably) his uncle Harbert.

It seems that the Baratheons simply never produce many heirs and mostly males. They just do enough to continue the line although their genes are extremely dominant.

I think that might simply be an artistic choice by GRRM and is very in vein with the Baratheons general attitude.

Or to explain why every house in the Stormlands doesnt have black hair

My point is the War of the Five Kings fucked everybody over in equal measure, it's not fair to single out the Baratheons for some unknowable reason. If anything I'd put them in my favorites to survive. They have Stannis after all.

It fucked over everybody, but not equally. Houses Martell, Tyrell and Greyjoy are all still going strong, and the Lannisters are hanging in there

1) Yes that's a possibility. It seems Gendry combines all the positive aspects of the three brothers, so I am sure Stannis could legitimize him based on merit.

2) Maybe, but wouldn't say that this would really play into Stannis' decision. Or at least it wouldn't be top priority.

Stannis has met and spoken with both boys, of course Edric in a more fulsome manner, That being the case odds are highly favourable that Stannis would legitimize Edric long before giving any thought to doing so for Gendry. Why? Edric has proven intelligence taught and groomed by a Maester whereas Gendry is provably "thick as a brick".

Archived