Is the Gravedigger the last we'll see of Sandor?

benalapin

The gravedigger theory is nice and all that, but many (including me) often use it as a way of saying Sandor Clegane has a larger role to play later in the novel. But what if it isn't? What if the gravedigger was a sort of easter egg that perceptive readers and those who discuss things with perceptive readers (like me) can spot, whose purpose is to offer a resolution to the arcs of one of the most interesting non-POV characters in the novels? Do you think this is a good send off for him, or is it even likely that this is the last we'll see of him?

I feel we will see him again.

1. This was "check in" with Sandor chapter time for the readers. Nice series mystery and cliffhanger. Just great writing. He made it. Stranger is there. He is ready to go when his master gets ready.

2. Nice to know one character breezed past him and might know where he is somehow and eventually if Brienne was ever given the literary tools we were given to Sherlock this one out. Brienne gets info that he was still talking about Sansa. Yes, still, and if he can't vent to Arya he did with EB and we find that out as readers. Everything has changed for him, yet nothing (Sansa).

I think it is the last we see of him. I hope it is at least. IF the gravedigger if Sandor, then it can be assumed that he has finally come to peace with his inner demons and has given up his life of violence and I would hate for him to have to revert back from that. Even if it was as the Faith's Champion or something, if he has traded his sword for a shovel, it should stay that way.

I hope not. I selfishly want to see more of him because he's one of my favorite characters, but if he truly is at peace on the Quiet Island and we never see him again good for him.

I would much rather see him come back into Arya or Sansa's story. I used to want the Clegane bowl between him and Robert Strong, but I'm pretty sure Cersei's champion will win as I don't think she's going to die for a while.

I think Sandor as a plot device is gone simply because GRRM himself has been talking A LOT about how he needs to slim down his roster of characters. I mean think about it, he only has two books left, and if everything is done right, at least 1/4 of ADoS is going to be used as a sort of epilogue to tell us how everythign ended up, as that was the one thing he didn't like about LoTR (how did Aragorn rule? What happened to the orcs? etc). I think with GRRM it's quite obvious that he is going to give us some nitty gritty about the surviving people, and especially whoever ended up being the ruler of Westeros.

I threw out a crackpot theory over at the March Preview thread about a week ago....it combines Ayra, Sansa, the Gravedigger the Faith's Champion as well as Gregorstein....

Hey,

Can you direct me to that thread? Would like to read it, even if crackpot.

since we are never told directly that the gravedigger is Sandor, we have to go with text about the Elder brother, who after describing how he "Died" on the trident in service of some lord in service to another lord in service to yet another lord he was stripped of all of his worldly possessions and left to float in the river and when he was "Reborn" and washed up on the island where he has led a life of quiet contemplation ever since. The elder brother then speaks of the "Death" of the hound and the removal of his worldly possessions (his helmet) left in a grave. If the Gravedigger is LiveSandor, he will no longer play a role in the series, as he has decades of not speaking ahead of him.

i have a crack pot idea that dany will lead an army of R'hallorists to westeros and since the hound hares fire he may be a champion of the 7 against them. But this invasion of the others has to happen sometime and he may lead the army of the faith against them since i think the faith militant will be one of the only intact military forces left after all the fighting is done around the iron throne

I think it is the last we see of him. I hope it is at least. IF the gravedigger if Sandor, then it can be assumed that he has finally come to peace with his inner demons and has given up his life of violence and I would hate for him to have to revert back from that. Even if it was as the Faith's Champion or something, if he has traded his sword for a shovel, it should stay that way.

What if he fights as the Faith's champion...using his shovel?

No, I think Sandor will be seen again in the story. If that wasn't the plan then I think Martin would have had him die in truth. I don't think Sandor lives for revenge against his brother anymore. And, besides, his brother, for all intents and purposes, is gone. What's left of Gregor is now an undead monstrosity named Robert Strong. However, irony of ironies, I believe Sandor will still have that much anticipated confrontation with what's left of his brother only it will be motivated by something other than revenge now ;)

I thought it was the perfect resolution to Sandor's storyline. I seriously doubt he'll play any further part in the story.

The only reason to bring him back would be a predictable one eg. getting revenge on his brother or saving Sansa, neither of which would be GRRM's style.

Some would argue that it is not much of a resolution because it is too subtle//it doesn't have to be Sandor//we're not given any evidence he is truly "at peace"//there are better literary ways to resolve the storyline that would have made Sandor's entire arc more effective. That's what I'm interested in -- is seeing this purported Sandor scratch a dog behind the ears effective enough as a resolution to his story?

Archived