World of Ice and Fire extract to be available

According to GRRM's blog, there will be an extract from "the World" made available on his website tomorrow.. It will be about

Aegon's Conquest, so not (alas) answering any of the unanswered questions from The Princess and the Queen (probably).

According to GRRM's blog, there will be an extract from "the World" made available on his website tomorrow.. It will be about

Aegon's Conquest, so not (alas) answering any of the unanswered questions from The Princess and the Queen (probably).

Cool looking forward to it.

I hope to see more on Argilac or Orys Baratheon.

And

spoiler[/Torhenn!]

EDIT

I give up with this spoiler tag thing. Why can't they just have a spoiler tag button in the selection bar above, where they have the bold, italics, smiley face and other buttons?

Besides, I don't see how revealing the topic of the extract is a spoiler, if you don't reveal any details of what is discussed in it.

Spoilers are easy. you start with

[ spoiler] <----remove space between first suqare bracket and the word

put the stuff you want hidden here

[ /spoiler] <----remove space between first suqare bracket and the '/'

There are all shades of readers here, starting from those who don't want to know anything before a book is published to those that want to know everything.

It's basic discussion board etiquette to cater to for the "want to know least" end of that spectrum.

Spoilers are easy. you start with

[ spoiler] <----remove space between first suqare bracket and the word

put the stuff you want hidden here

[ /spoiler] <----remove space between first suqare bracket and the '/'

There are all shades of readers here, starting from those who don't want to know anything before a book is published to those that want to know everything.

It's basic discussion board etiquette to cater to for the "want to know least" end of that spectrum.

Thanks. I always forget how to do it.

Ok, well here goes.

I didn't find the excerpt particularly illuminating. The few bits of new info (to me) were, off the top of my head:

The insight into Argilac Durrendon's state of mind in offering his daughter's hand to Aegon. The history of the Stormlands' decline in the centuries preceding Aegon's invasion was interesting. We see that the Storm Kings once dominated not only the Stormlands, but also parts of the eastern Reach, the entire "Crownlands", and most of the Riverlands.

But over the years this "Eastern Westerosi Mega-Kingdom" was whittled down by the Gardeners and the Ironborn. Argilac turned the tide around in his youth, with an impressive list of victories over the Dornish, and the Gardeners - actually slaying King Garth Gardener himself in one battle.

But his age and fear for the future of his kingdom seems to have spurred his generous invitation to Aegon. Interesting.

Another interesting bit of information is that the Targaryens had used Dragonstone for 200 years before the Doom to exact a type of "tribute" with their fleets and dragons from sea trade in the central Narrow Sea.

So basically they were the local mafia. Nice. Glorified pirates.

An interesting coincidence is that Dragonstone was therefore first settled by the Valyrians 600 years ago. Exactly the time of the Hardhome incident.

Orys Baratheon was baseborn, so his mother wasn't highborn. And the famous black hair is apparently Durrandon heirloom.

I've always thought (without going into timelines) that the Doom and Hardome were interconnected.

Also, The Doom happened in 114 BC - the exact year, that's new information, I think.

Orys Baratheon was baseborn, so his mother wasn't highborn. And the famous black hair is apparently Durrandon heirloom.

I've always thought (without going into timelines) that the Doom and Hardome were interconnected.

Also, The Doom happened in 114 BC - the exact year, that's new information, I think.

Yep, that'a new.

Also Velena Velaryon having had a Targaryen mother (she might have been the sister of the Lord of Dragonstone?).

Also, Lord Armor seems to have had multiple wives.. interesting as well

Archived