NFL Offseason 2014: Buildup to the Draft

Jaime L

Grrr! I just experienced much self pouting and stomping of feet because I remembered that Marcus Lattimore is on the 49'ers. I was super happy when they picked him up (cause I didn't totally hate their QB at that point) and I really am rooting for him to make it.

But now he plays for the enemy... GGGGRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!!

Grrr! I just experienced much self pouting and stomping of feet because I remembered that Marcus Lattimore is on the 49'ers. I was super happy when they picked him up (cause I didn't totally hate their QB at that point) and I really am rooting for him to make it.

But now he plays for the enemy... GGGGRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!!

That kid is going to be a beast. I'm thinking this season will most likely be Gore's swansong, and I fully expect Lattimore to get a fair amount of carries.

And look, you really need to get off the anti-Niners kick. It really makes zero sense for a Colt's fan to villianize the Niners. Keep focused on your AFC rivals.

That kid is going to be a beast. I'm thinking this season will most likely be Gore's swansong, and I fully expect Lattimore to get a fair amount of carries.

And look, you really need to get off the anti-Niners kick. It really makes zero sense for a Colt's fan to villianize the Niners. Keep focused on your AFC rivals.

Ha, please! I've more than enough hate to spread around the league. Especially since the Patriots are moving down the list. All the leftover angst for them has to go somewhere, 49'ers are getting a piece of it.

Not to mention, there aren't many teams in the AFC worth hating.

Ha, please! I've more than enough hate to spread around the league. Especially since the Patriots are moving down the list. All the leftover angst for them has to go somewhere, 49'ers are getting a piece of it.

Not to mention, there aren't many teams in the AFC worth hating.

Suit yourself. Waste time and energy hating a team that you're not even going to face unless you happen to get to the Superbowl...

Suit yourself. Waste time and energy hating a team that you're not even going to face unless you happen to get to the Superbowl...

and if they do get to the superbowl, they arent likely to face the 49ers

Sad, but true.

Yeah, Pony Princess, if you're going to expend hate on an NFC team you should concentrate on the Seachickens. They are the team most likely to be stepping on your Colts necks if they are lucky enough to get that far.

I do wonder if some members of the board have gone temporarily insane. The Seahawks are far and away the best team in the league, and will be for at least a few more years, but they are not guaranteed that superbowl. Crazy shit happens in the crazy game of football, and the best teams do not always win every time. Just sayin' because the group assumption seems to have been that the Seahawks have already won next years' title, instead of just being expected to win it. Big difference in my mind.

I do wonder if some members of the board have gone temporarily insane. The Seahawks are far and away the best team in the league, and will be for at least a few more years, but they are not guaranteed that superbowl. Crazy shit happens in the crazy game of football, and the best teams do not always win every time. Just sayin' because the group assumption seems to have been that the Seahawks have already won next years' title, instead of just being expected to win it. Big difference in my mind.

I'm not saying they will win it, but they are certainly the prohibitive favorite. The NFL season is long and full of injuries. R'Goodell be praised.

I'm not saying they will win it, but they are certainly the prohibitive favorite. The NFL season is long and full of injuries. R'Goodell be praised.

Yea, agreed. Seahawks were pretty lucky to have no injuries to key defensive players. They'll need to have that luck again.

the seahawks are certainly the favorite to make it to the superbowl. the most likely nfc team to make it. but theyre still more likely to not get to the superbowl. given the field, i would not hesitate.

the seahawks are certainly the favorite to make it to the superbowl. the most likely nfc team to make it. but theyre still more likely to not get to the superbowl. given the field, i would not hesitate.

As much as I'd like to agree with this, I don't believe I can. Barring some serious injuries, I don't see another NFC team that comes close. Who's going to knock them out? The Saints? The Panthers? Just don't see it. Of course we'll have to see how the draft shakes out, but even a really good draft doesn't usually bear fruit right away.

Right now I think I'd take the Seachickens over the NFC field.

As much as I'd like to agree with this, I don't believe I can. Barring some serious injuries, I don't see another NFC team that comes close. Who's going to knock them out? The Saints? The Panthers? Just don't see it. Of course we'll have to see how the draft shakes out, but even a really good draft doesn't usually bear fruit right away.

Who could I see beating them?

Niners, cards, rams, saints, panthers, lions, packers, bears, cowboys.

While I see and agree that the Seahawks are the runaway favorites, I think the Cards are my dark horse. Not only because they actually pulled it off at seattle last year, but also because I believe in the magic of Bruce Arians and I think it'll take unconventional coaching to beat a team like that. Such as a Jim Harbough, Sean Payton, or Bill Belicheck.

Bold statement for the consideration of the veterans. I think Micheal Vick is the most naturally talented football player I've ever seen.

Note that I never saw L.T. or Jerry Rice in his prime.

And I'm not saying 'greatest ever'.

The way Vick plays football (especially when he was younger), I don't think I've ever seen someone do it as... effortlessly. My dad is a football coach, I understand the effort these guys have to put in just at the high school level, especially quarterbacks with the throwing motion. In that regard... to my eye, Vick isn't trying to throw the football. He just does.

To explain my position on this, I think Brady has the best throwing motion in the game, and he got it around 2010-ish. It's just flawless textbook, no moves wasted. Peyton Manning throws in a goofy way that is totally what works for him because he has to get the ball out so fast when he sees his opening. Andrew Luck puts his crazy weight and force behind his good motion, (to name a few I'm comfortable describing) but there's effort behind their throws there. Vick just flicks his wrist and the ball spirals forty yards downfield with accuracy that cannot be matched by more than a hundred guys at any time. If you think I'm talking crazy about this, do me a favor and just take a quick look at Vick throwing (I don't know how to do the embed nonsense, or I totally would), it's literally natural to him.

And a weird thing on the throwing motion is that the closest I've seen to what Vick does (and close being a relative term here) is when Jay Cutler sometimes just 'pushes' the ball out of his hand without winding back at all. And I'm not talking about a shovel-pass or a toss like what Tony Romo does so much. I'm talking about when his hand goes forward from his chest and the ball flies 20 yards straight as an arrow (and even if you think I'm totally wrong about this, if you don't know what I'm talking about in this paragraph, please tell me and I will find a video some how some way for you because it's freaking crazy). But even that from Cutler clearly takes effort, and I've only seen him do it a handful of times, mostly touchdowns no less.

RAMBLE!

And the way Vick runs, he's just a pure runner. I actually know something about those, and while you can teach running and speed, some people just run and they're doing it better than everyone else on the track (field). Vick runs smooth, like some kind of equestrian-esque animal. Not predatory like I would say Ed Reed moved, but graceful and elusive (which fits their positions).

Anyways, am I making sense here? Validate me! :P

P.S. In contrast, Tebow had to try harder than any other player I've ever seen. His running was awkward (even if he could go fast), and his throwing motion was torturous. In five words: he just sucked at football.

Over the field? That'd be a risky bet. NFL teams vary a ton from year to year. Just because our last memory of the 2013 Seahawks is utter domination, there's no guarantee the 2014 edition will be the same, even as they maintained the lionshare of their talent. Teams get fat and happy - they lose that hunger that made them great. There's injuries. FO has reams of data on how much even dominant defenses fluctuate year to year. And that doesn't even get into who may rise as a power in the NFC. We can't see them now, but hey, no-one saw the 2011 49ers or 2012 Seahawks coming either until suddenly they were the class of the conference. These are all reasons why no-one's even gone to consecutive Superbowls, let alone won 'em, since the Patriots a decade ago.

All that said, Seahawks look to be better set up to getting back to the Superbowl than just about any team I can recall. But it's not the NBA. The best team can't just unilaterally impose its will on everyone. There's going to be that one game where you're also gonna have to be lucky or someone else is winning the title. Can point to 1-2 plays in the playoffs every year that decided titles. It's not always the most meritocratic sport..but it's part of why it's so exciting. You just never know...

Bold statement for the consideration of the veterans. I think Micheal Vick is the most naturally talented football player I've ever seen.

Note that I never saw L.T. or Jerry Rice in his prime.

And I'm not saying 'greatest ever'.

The way Vick plays football (especially when he was younger), I don't think I've ever seen someone do it as... effortlessly. My dad is a football coach, I understand the effort these guys have to put in just at the high school level, especially quarterbacks with the throwing motion. In that regard... to my eye, Vick isn't trying to throw the football. He just does.

To explain my position on this, I think Brady has the best throwing motion in the game, and he got it around 2010-ish. It's just flawless textbook, no moves wasted. Peyton Manning throws in a goofy way that is totally what works for him because he has to get the ball out so fast when he sees his opening. Andrew Luck puts his crazy weight and force behind his good motion, (to name a few I'm comfortable describing) but there's effort behind their throws there. Vick just flicks his wrist and the ball spirals forty yards downfield with accuracy that cannot be matched by more than a hundred guys at any time. If you think I'm talking crazy about this, do me a favor and just take a quick look at Vick throwing (I don't know how to do the embed nonsense, or I totally would), it's literally natural to him.

And a weird thing on the throwing motion is that the closest I've seen to what Vick does (and close being a relative term here) is when Jay Cutler sometimes just 'pushes' the ball out of his hand without winding back at all. And I'm not talking about a shovel-pass or a toss like what Tony Romo does so much. I'm talking about when his hand goes forward from his chest and the ball flies 20 yards straight as an arrow (and even if you think I'm totally wrong about this, if you don't know what I'm talking about in this paragraph, please tell me and I will find a video some how some way for you because it's freaking crazy). But even that from Cutler clearly takes effort, and I've only seen him do it a handful of times, mostly touchdowns no less.

RAMBLE!

And the way Vick runs, he's just a pure runner. I actually know something about those, and while you can teach running and speed, some people just run and they're doing it better than everyone else on the track (field). Vick runs smooth, like some kind of equestrian-esque animal. Not predatory like I would say Ed Reed moved, but graceful and elusive (which fits their positions).

Anyways, am I making sense here? Validate me! :P

P.S. In contrast, Tebow had to try harder than any other player I've ever seen. His running was awkward (even if he could go fast), and his throwing motion was torturous. In five words: he just sucked at football.

As far as physical tools and being a natural athlete i may be inclined to agree, he's a freak. Bo Jackson and Randy Moss are the only two that I could say are in that realm that I've seen play.(and their size had a lot to do with it, at least with Moss it did, isn't Vick only like 5'10?)

I'm debated whether to put Deion Sanders in the discussion.

I wouldn't, but I could see where some might put Barry Sanders in the discussion.

For other QBs and just throwing technique, I think Dan Marino may be pretty close. His throwing was like a robot.

As far as Tebow, I think he sucked at quarterback, I think he may have been a good football player. Some think fullback should have been his destiny.

He was known to plow over a guy or two when running head on.

Over the field? That'd be a risky bet. NFL teams vary a ton from year to year. Just because our last memory of the 2013 Seahawks is utter domination, there's no guarantee the 2014 edition will be the same, even as they maintained the lionshare of their talent. Teams get fat and happy - they lose that hunger that made them great. There's injuries. FO has reams of data on how much even dominant defenses fluctuate year to year. And that doesn't even get into who may rise as a power in the NFC. We can't see them now, but hey, no-one saw the 2011 49ers or 2012 Seahawks coming either until suddenly they were the class of the conference. These are all reasons why no-one's even gone to consecutive Superbowls, let alone won 'em, since the Patriots a decade ago.

All that said, Seahawks look to be better set up to getting back to the Superbowl than just about any team I can recall. But it's not the NBA. The best team can't just unilaterally impose its will on everyone. There's going to be that one game where you're also gonna have to be lucky or someone else is winning the title. Can point to 1-2 plays in the playoffs every year that decided titles. It's not always the most meritocratic sport..but it's part of why it's so exciting. You just never know...

True, true. I guess the Niner's miserable offseason has me in a dour mood. It just seems to me that the Niners were the closest, and they have taken steps backwards in free agency, while the Seachickens have at least managed to hold serve. I do honestly believe that the Seahawks are the best bet that we've seen to repeat in many years. Injuries are really the only wildcard I see that has a serious chance to derail their shot. Only time will tell for sure.

Seahawks on paper are the best team going into the season. However given that they play in the NFC (especially NFC West), I would not consider them to be a lock to make it to the SB. I would take the field over the Seahawks.

The Broncos will have a tough time going back to the SB as well. They play the NFC West. I don't think they are getting the homefield this time around against the Pats (or Indy or Bengals).

Archived