Cannibal Will Be Jon's Dragonmount (Crackpot)

Roddy the Ruin

best thing about this theory is that it opens another door into the "dance with dragons" idea.

Im more inclined to beileve that if Jon were to tame a dragon it would have to be a different dragon thatn Rhaegal and Viserion cuz those kinda belong to Dany( i have a hard time believing they would wanna kill their mama)

But Rhaegal might want to go after Drogon because he's jealous that Mama rides Drogon and not him. They're such big babies.

very very unlikely

I have to agree.

I think it is more likely that Aegon II mounted the Cannibal after Sunfyre died given that he was the only live dragon left on Dragonstone, and the only other living dragon in Westeros at the time was Silverwing who was at Tumbleton with the green army headed south. It could have been a reflection of the direction Aegon's character had been going.

Either way, I think the Cannibal died in the Dance.

I have to agree.

I think it is more likely that Aegon II mounted the Cannibal after Sunfyre died given that he was the only live dragon left on Dragonstone, and the only other living dragon in Westeros at the time was Silverwing who was at Tubleton with the green army headed south. It could have been a reflection of the direction Aegon's character had been going.

Either way, I think the Cannibal died in the Dance.

Didnt you once tell me, after I was blathering about how I want Jon to get an albino dragon, that he was more likely to get a Black one. I know you linked to a theory on Drogon but Cannibal was/is black as well.

We don't really have a good reference for how long a dragon can survive in the wild. Balerion was what, 200 years old when he died? He was a domesticated dragon, which might have shortened his lifespan some.

How many years before ASOIAF does TPatQ take place?

We don't really have a good reference for how long a dragon can survive in the wild. Balerion was what, 200 years old when he died? He was a domesticated dragon, which might have shortened his lifespan some.

How many years before ASOIAF does TPatQ take place?

About 170, give or take. The thing about the dragons in ASOIAF is that, unless I miss my guess, we don't see one that dies naturally. I believe poison got Balerion, a scorpion bolt killed Meraxes, Vhagar went down over the God's Eye and a bunch of other bigger, older dragons were killed during the Dance. We have no good way of knowing how long these dragons may have survived without human intervention. Which means that, until we learn how long a dragon can live without being killed, the idea that Cannibal and/or Sheepstealer are still out there somewhere can't be dismissed so easily. Is it wishful thinking that one will swoop in right when Jon needs one, sure. But the basic idea that one or both could still be alive isn't so far-fetched.

Didnt you once tell me, after I was blathering about how I want Jon to get an albino dragon, that he was more likely to get a Black one. I know you linked to a theory on Drogon but Cannibal was/is black as well.

I think Drogon is the more likely scenario. I think GRRM said Dany's dragons are the only ones in the world of ASOIAF.

Well this seems a new angle and it could be possible and nice play with words.But it makes sense Cannibal and Isle of Cannibals seems a good fit.Maybe Skagos is feared because of the chance of waking a dragon and that is the reason why Skagosi made up that tale about being cannibals themselves as an inside joke for them and a threat to the others.As I understand Skagosi are keeping the Old Gods so I think the cannibalism is out of question.I think if this theory is true then Rickon might be the one who wakes up the dragon and maybe he might be the one to warg it or build a bond with it because it is mentioned before when Shaggy bites Maester Luwin Rickon touches Shaggys jaw and then licks his hand(blood).But it is far fetched and I don't see any reason for bringing another dragon to the story of course we can look at it from a different angle and say that dragon was destined for Jon/Rickon.I see many possible ways for Rickon but he won't be playing that big of a role in the books so I think Rickon will be the one to discover how to warg a dragon and he will pass this to Jon maybe or he will simply return to orth rally Lords to his banner(by sing his name Manderly or Jon or Stannis will rally North under Stark banner).But this theory is one of those that I wish it is true.And if it is true then GRRM is really the master of wordplay and misleading.

Guys what if there are NO DRAGONS!!

What if they are all just mass hallucinations.

And everyone in westeros is plugged into a computer like in the matrix???

Just Kidding.

GRRM likes to pay homages to the past in his books, so i think there will be at least another dragon in the books.

Maybe it will be cannibal or it could be sheepstealer, or it could even be one we havent heard of yet. We just don't know. Too many variables to fuss with.

meh. I'd prefer Cannibal.

To each their own. I prefer Sheepstealer because of scene of Nettles feeding Sheepstealer and getting blood on her hands reminds me of Aemon's ravens and doves speech. Also I'm opposed to Jon getting a black dragon because I think ADWD shows that black isn't really Jon's color anymore.

From TPATQ:

If the "mud-brown" Sheepstealer turns out to still be alive, as many have speculated, that would potentially put a very different spin on this tidbit from AFFC:

Because if the "mud-brown" Sheepstealer is still alive, he (definitely not Drogon) would be the largest and oldest of the dragons---the new Balerion.

Moreover, we have this tidbit from TMK:

In both cases, the "black dragon" ends up covered in mud, symbolically becoming the "brown dragon". Is this a hint that a literal brown dragon is set to (re)-enter the narrative, and will be associated with a (formerly) "black" dragon? Literally replacing a black dragon, or metaphorically associating with a "black dragon"? (My money would be on Jon if the latter, given that Sam is holding the book when he's summoned to Jon in AFFC, and given that the "brown" black dragon in TMK had formerly taken the pseudonym of John.) Is it a hint about a metaphorical "black" dragon becoming a metaphorical "brown" dragon? And it's particularly interesting that the "muddy" black dragon appears in conjunction with a book about Lightbringer (the Jade Compendium in AFFC) and the arrival of the dawn (in TMK).

A hint that the new Long Night will be worse than the last? And when "the night" finally comes, Rhaenyra's dragons die. A hint at what will happen to Drogon/Rhaegal/Viserion (or even House Targaryen in general?) in the new Long Night?

:wideeyed:

I like the idea of another a Dragon hibernating in the North, if only to finally explain Summer's quote about the Winged Snake. The word play with Skagos, Cannibal, Stone, etc are intriguing as well, and More Dragons = More Fun.

My problem with this is that Cannibal is not really mentioned in the main novels, so he can't really be 'Chekov's Dragon', as Apple says. The average reader, who wasn't well versed on the corollary texts, would rightfully think GRRM was pulling dragons out of his arse if more appeared.

About 170, give or take. The thing about the dragons in ASOIAF is that, unless I miss my guess, we don't see one that dies naturally. I believe poison got Balerion, a scorpion bolt killed Meraxes, Vhagar went down over the God's Eye and a bunch of other bigger, older dragons were killed during the Dance. We have no good way of knowing how long these dragons may have survived without human intervention. Which means that, until we learn how long a dragon can live without being killed, the idea that Cannibal and/or Sheepstealer are still out there somewhere can't be dismissed so easily. Is it wishful thinking that one will swoop in right when Jon needs one, sure. But the basic idea that one or both could still be alive isn't so far-fetched.

We also have the preservative magic of the Wall that could come into play in that location, potentially.

But the biggest problem for me is the lack of hints in the main series that could lay the groundwork for a dragon appearing out of the blue.

ahahahah, Nice!! I agree it seems like wishful thinking, however I have started to think more and more lately that there is another live dragon out there somewhere. If there is going to be another Dance of Dragons, then I would think we would need at least 1 more dragon to actually do battle against Dany, since I dont think any of her 'children' will willingly battle against her (maybe one that is under the spell of a dragon horn) but it still seems unlikely to me.

So hell why not? Is Skagos definitely a volcanic island? I know dragonstone is, but I had never heard Skagos was.

Maybe this is the smoking tower reference in Dany's vision in THOTU........but probably not

ahahahah, Nice!! I agree it seems like wishful thinking, however I have started to think more and more lately that there is another live dragon out there somewhere. If there is going to be another Dance of Dragons, then I would think we would need at least 1 more dragon to actually do battle against Dany, since I dont think any of her 'children' will willingly battle against her (maybe one that is under the spell of a dragon horn) but it still seems unlikely to me.

So hell why not? Is Skagos definitely a volcanic island? I know dragonstone is, but I had never heard Skagos was.

Maybe this is the smoking tower reference in Dany's vision in THOTU........but probably not

Well, we know there are volcanically heated valleys in the Frosfangs - the Valley of the Thenns being one of them. We have hints that Hardhome might have been a volcanic event, and the whistling caves there could hint at hot gasses escaping through vents in the rock to this day.

We know that the Dreadfort is built over volcanic vents. And we know that Winterfell has hot springs below it. So the North as a whole seems to be volcanically active. Skagos could easily be a volcanic island.

But the biggest problem for me is the lack of hints in the main series that could lay the groundwork for a dragon appearing out of the blue.

I think with the quotes tze provided, this won't be a dragon appearing out of the blue.

Archived