Cannibal Will Be Jon's Dragonmount (Crackpot)

Roddy the Ruin

Well, we know there are volcanically heated valleys in the Frosfangs - the Valley of the Thenns being one of them. We have hints that Hardhome might have been a volcanic event, and the whistling caves there could hint at hot gasses escaping through vents in the rock to this day.

We know that the Dreadfort is built over volcanic vents. And we know that Winterfell has hot springs below it. So the North as a whole seems to be volcanically active. Skagos could easily be a volcanic island.

Ohhh ok, cool thx for posting. well this is a cool idea regardless if it happens or not :)

:wideeyed:

I think sometimes things are over analyzed, we all do it. But this whole idea of sheepstealer being alive based on the text provided in your post is a huge huge stretch. Mud is brown, and no one ever refers to sheepstealer as 'the brown dragon' in PatQ. So this is most likely just a usage of a common word that has no foreshadowing.

I think sometimes things are over analyzed, we all do it. But this whole idea of sheepstealer being alive based on the text provided in your post is a huge huge stretch. Mud is brown, and no one ever refers to sheepstealer as 'the brown dragon' in PatQ. So this is most likely just a usage of a common word that has no foreshadowing.

... Sheepstealer, a notably ugly “mud brown” dragon hatched when the Old King was still young, ...

I think with the quotes tze provided, this won't be a dragon appearing out of the blue.

I disagree since those quotes all come from text outside of the main novels. New readers are going to read the novels before exploring things like Dunk and Egg and TPATQ. It would be poor form to have anything significant in the novels rely on the content from the other texts.

ETA - It is possible, I suppose, that with ~3000 pages left, GRRM has plenty of time to properly introduce another Dragon into the main novels. But from what we have so far... Summer's Dragon is not enough to convince me.

I disagree since those quotes all come from text outside of the main novels. New readers are going to read the novels before exploring things like Dunk and Egg and TPATQ. It would be poor form to have anything significant in the novels rely on the content from the other texts.

ETA - It is possible, I suppose, that with ~3000 pages left, GRRM has plenty of time to properly introduce another Dragon into the main novels. But from what we have so far... Summer's Dragon is not enough to convince me.

While I'm the one that initially suggested the Skagos-Dragon connection, I don't associate Summer's vision at Winterfell with this in any way.

I think Summer's vision is quite clearly symbolic foreshadowing of a dragon being born from Winterfell's line. Meaning Jon.

It has nothing to do with the dragon on Skagos, other than Jon maybe ending up making use of that dragon, should it exist.

As an aside, I don't expect Jon to become a dragonrider in this series. As a First Man/Targaryen combination, I think he will have zero connection to the Targaryen heritage of riding their dragons - an art that requires mastery in itself over a period of time.

Instead, as the first warg to presumably have a dragon at his disposal, he wil be the first Targaryen to control his dragon without having to fly it. He will remotely operate it from the ground. Making it all the more lethal and effective. He will in effect become the dragon.

Him or Bran. Bran is even more likely to be able to do this, despite lacking the Targaryen bloodline.

What? Sheepstealer is explicitly referred to as a "mud brown dragon."

ETA: Ninja'd.

I think Summer's vision is quite clearly symbolic foreshadowing of a dragon being born from Winterfell's line. Meaning Jon.

This was more or less my feeling as well.

So if Summer's Dragon isn't part of the Skagos theory then there is even less to convince me that Cannibal, Sheepstealer, or any other 'new' dragon will appear. It *could* happen, sure... I just don't feel like the literary groundwork has been laid in the novels (yet). I mean, readers were slightly miffed by (f)Aegon's sudden appearance in the last book, thinking it was too late to introduce him. A "Balerion Sized" dragon that has been waiting in the wings seems ... worse.

So if Summer's Dragon isn't part of the Skagos theory then there is even less to convince me that Cannibal, Sheepstealer, or any other 'new' dragon will appear. It *could* happen, sure... I just don't feel like the literary groundwork has been laid in the novels (yet). I mean, readers were slightly miffed by (f)Aegon's sudden appearance in the last book, thinking it was too late to introduce him. A "Balerion Sized" dragon that has been waiting in the wings seems ... worse.

Yeah, that is my main problem with this.

The waking a dragon from Stone prophecy is pretty much the only hint that could be seen as a kind of foundation for this. But hey, maybe that's the whole purpose of Davos's Skagos side trip. To show us what's been going on on Skagos. For all we know, these guys have been worshipping a sleeping dragon for 170 years. It may even have had something to do with their rebellion against the Starks 100 years ago.

If Martin spends a bunch of Davos chapters laying the groundwork for this in Winds, it could conceivable still happen.

Just like two Tyrion chapters in Dance were deemed sufficient background for Aegon's sudden unveiling out of the blue.

I said is he ever referred to as 'the brown dragon'? and the answer is NO, ninja.

Are you freaking kidding me?

"In the end, THE BROWN DRAGON was brought to heel by the cunning and persistence of a 'small brown girl' ..."

Maybe save the snottiness until after you perform a five-second-long word search. Just a tip.

We also have the preservative magic of the Wall that could come into play in that location, potentially.

But the biggest problem for me is the lack of hints in the main series that could lay the groundwork for a dragon appearing out of the blue.

However...Mel's magic is much stronger at the Wall, and as another fellow forum participant pointed out we know that dragons make magic go crazy. That person suggested there is a dragon IN the Wall. It would be terribly, even painfully subtle, but would dispel the idea that another dragon would be completely out of the blue. And it would be incredibly fitting for Jon to ride an ice dragon that's been hibernating for several thousand years (he or she would be REALLY hungry!).

However...Mel's magic is much stronger at the Wall, and as another fellow forum participant pointed out we know that dragons make magic go crazy. That person suggested there is a dragon IN the Wall. It would be terribly, even painfully subtle, but would dispel the idea that another dragon would be completely out of the blue. And it would be incredibly fitting for Jon to ride an ice dragon that's been hibernating for several thousand years (he or she would be REALLY hungry!).

I literally just wrote this in another post, but I think this is actually a correlation/causation error. Some magic has to predate the dragons, because magic of some sort was necessary for them to hatch. We also have Bloodraven, the Stark kids, the Others and other forms of magic that existed or started making a comeback before dragons. I think ultimately, magic is one big force of nature that is controlling and influencing everything, and is cyclical. It brought the dragons back, not the other way around. But people see the correlation between the dragons hatching and magic coming back, and mistake that for causation. Rather than saying, "The same magic that brought dragons back is also growing stronger and influencing other forms of magics," they say, "Dragons are causing magic to return." Again, correlation vs. causation.

Mel's magic is stronger at the Wall because the Wall is and of itself a magical entity, the "hinge of the world" or however they word it. It's not necessary for a dragon to be buried under it to explain why it makes her magic stronger.

I literally just wrote this in another post, but I think this is actually a correlation/causation error. Some magic has to predate the dragons, because magic of some sort was necessary for them to hatch. We also have Bloodraven, the Stark kids, the Others and other forms of magic that existed or started making a comeback before dragons. I think ultimately, magic is one big force of nature that is controlling and influencing everything, and is cyclical. It brought the dragons back, not the other way around. But people see the correlation between the dragons hatching and magic coming back, and mistake that for causation. Rather than saying, "The same magic that brought dragons back is also growing stronger and influencing other forms of magics," they say, "Dragons are causing magic to return." Again, correlation vs. causation.

Mel's magic is stronger at the Wall because the Wall is and of itself a magical entity, the "hinge of the world" or however they word it. It's not necessary for a dragon to be buried under it to explain why it makes her magic stronger.

That has always been my point of view as well. Which seems to be contrary to the general opinion around here.

Magic brought the dragons back. Dragons did not bring the magic back.

In other words, dragons are the visible symptoms of magic being back. Ignorant people in-universe just mistakenly assume that one of the outflows of stronger magic (the appearance of dragons) is actually the cause thereof.

I don't know, I always got the impression that at least a wighted dragon, and/or fire wyrms were waiting to be discovered north of the Wall. Ice dragons? Yes, I've wondered about that while reading ASOIAF.

Actually now that I think about it I distinctly remember wondering if there were any 200 year old dragons still alive, right about where they mention the longer they live, the bigger they get.

I don't know, I always got the impression that at least a wighted dragon, and/or fire wyrms were waiting to be discovered north of the Wall. Ice dragons? Yes, I've wondered about that while reading ASOIAF.

Actually now that I think about it I distinctly remember wondering if there were any 200 year old dragons still alive, right about where they mention the longer they live, the bigger they get.

I've wondered that too, but bringing a wight dragon or something out of nowhere might be a bit much. I think if we see a dragon other than Dany's three (and big if), it'll be one of the missing TPATQ dragons.

Are you freaking kidding me?

"In the end, THE BROWN DRAGON was brought to heel by the cunning and persistence of a 'small brown girl' ..."

Maybe save the snottiness until after you perform a five-second-long word search. Just a tip.

I was referring to the quote Paper Weaver posted, in which the term 'brown dragon' was not used but 'mud brown dragon'. I dont have PatQ in digital form, so I cant 'search'. I dont carry the books with me everywhere I go, sorry I was mistaken, thank you for posting the quote. And lets not kid anyone, I give you the same attitude you constantly give to me so don't give me that 'tip' crap.

While I would like to see Cannibal show up if he did he wouldn't be controlled as it would be too OP.I mean imagine having a dragon bigger then the "black dread" just show up and belong to Jon.He could easily kill all 3 of Dany's dragons burn her whole army burn the Freys the Boltons the Lannisters and the Others without any effort

While I would like to see Cannibal show up if he did he wouldn't be controlled as it would be too OP.I mean imagine having a dragon bigger then the "black dread" just show up and belong to Jon.He could easily kill all 3 of Dany's dragons burn her whole army burn the Freys the Boltons the Lannisters and the Others without any effort

Just the look on Daenerys's face would be worth it. I got three dragons, what you got? A giant shadow is cast over Dany and her dragons piss and flee before Cannibal lives up to his name.

Just the look on Daenerys's face would be worth it. I got three dragons, what you got? A giant shadow is cast over Dany and her dragons piss and flee before Cannibal lives up to his name.

This gives me goosebumps, in a good way.

Archived