Cannibal Will Be Jon's Dragonmount (Crackpot)

Roddy the Ruin

I admit, I definitely thought of Arya when reading Nettles' description. :D

I know right, lol. When someone in the thread brought up Sheepstealer I was reminded of that and I immediately had to check Nettles description again in the wiki: She was skinny, foul-mouthed, filthy and fearless. - affirmative

eta: hell even Sheepstealer's behavior sounds like Arya: During the taming, Sheepstealer killed more seeds than the other two wild dragons combined.

Then when someone put up tze's post regarding the mud brown dragon I had to check that one dream Arya had again:

She dreamt of home; not Riverrun, but Winterfell. It was not a good dream, though. She was alone outside the castle, up to her knees in mud. She could see the grey walls ahead of her, but when she tried to reach the gates every step seemed harder than the one before, and the castle faded before her, until it looked more like smoke than granite. And there were wolves as well, gaunt grey shapes stalking through the trees all around her, their eyes shining. Whenever she looked at them, she remembered the taste of blood.

Allowing for enormous wishful thinking you could stretch some things; "up to her knees in mud", "the castle faded before her until it looked like smoke" and such, silly I know but I couldn't help it, lol.

OK

We have a few dragons whose death is NOT recorded

Cannibal - yes I can see Rickon - wild and untamed

Sheep stealer - yes DEFINITELY Arya - the needles connection with Nettles is also great

Silverwing - her death is not recorded. (great mount for Sansa)

Vermax is also possibly not dead

I know right, lol. When someone in the thread brought up Sheepstealer I was reminded of that and I immediately had to check Nettles description again in the wiki: She was skinny, foul-mouthed, filthy and fearless. - affirmative

eta: hell even Sheepstealer's behavior sounds like Arya: During the taming, Sheepstealer killed more seeds than the other two wild dragons combined.

Then when someone put up tze's post regarding the mud brown dragon I had to check that one dream Arya had again:

She dreamt of home; not Riverrun, but Winterfell. It was not a good dream, though. She was alone outside the castle, up to her knees in mud. She could see the grey walls ahead of her, but when she tried to reach the gates every step seemed harder than the one before, and the castle faded before her, until it looked more like smoke than granite. And there were wolves as well, gaunt grey shapes stalking through the trees all around her, their eyes shining. Whenever she looked at them, she remembered the taste of blood.

Allowing for enormous wishful thinking you could stretch some things; "up to her knees in mud", "the castle faded before her until it looked like smoke" and such, silly I know but I couldn't help it, lol.

Going back into that barn was the hardest thing she ever did. Smoke was pouring out the open door like a writhing black snake, and she could hear the screams of the poor animals inside, donkeys and horses and men. She…crouched low where the smoke wasn’t quite so thick.

Arya rolled headfirst into the tunnel and dropped five feet. she got dirt in her mouth but she didn’t care; the taste was fine, the taste was mud and water and worms and life. Under the earth was the air was cool and dark. above was nothing but blood and roaring red and choking smoke and the screams of dying horses. she moved her belt around so Needle would not be in the way and began to crawl. A dozen feet down the tunnel she heard the sound, like the roar of some monstrous beast, and a cloud of hot smoke dust came billowing up behind her, smelling of hell. Arya held her breath and kissed the mud on the floor of the tunnel and cried. for whom, she could not say.Arya, ACoK

^There's this. The dragons have been called snakes/serpentine before. Black snake, monstrous beast that roars, where there's smoke there's fire, and smelling of hell (Dany said she was looking into hell when she looked at Drogon ) makes me think of Drogon.

Anyways, she seeks comfort from mud and kisses the mud. Paper Waver discovered that worms means death in the books so there's duality of death and life so I'm not sure if water and mud is supposed to signify another duality.

Nettles did make me think of Arya by her basic description and I thought Viserys II really behaved like Arya:

"...his little brother Viserys went everywhere with his egg."

"Aegon's younger brother, Prince Viserys, had no way of escaping from the cog. A clever boy, he hid his dragon's egg and changed into ragged, salt-stained clothing, pretending to be no more than a common ship's boy, but one of the real ship's boys betrayed him and he was made a captive. It was a Tyroshi captain who first realized who he had, but the admiral of the fleet, Sharako Lohar of Lys, soon relieved him of his prize."

Jon said that Arya was always clever. Salt-stained makes me think of Arya being Salty. He pretended to be a commoner which Arya has done several times. & she has been found out. He was likely presumed dead but was actually in Essos like Arya's current situation and he came back later which Arya will definitely do as well.

ETA:

Sheep stealer - yes DEFINITELY Arya - the needles connection with Nettles is also great

As far as Needle I associate Rhaegal with that.

Rhaegal stared at the stranger with eyes of molten gold. When his mouth opened, his teeth gleamed like black needles.

What Sheepstealer could stand for is a tricky one.

Aren't wolves notorious for stealing sheep?

"Kneelers" have been referred to as sheep. "Sheepstealer" could refer to a person stealing followers from another.

TBH, I can see any of the Starks warging or riding Sheepstealer. Then again, I can see any of the remaining Stark being a match for almost any dragon.

GRRM confirmed on Not a Blog that Balerion died of old age (I thjnk, I will check that though).

I just looked into this and it appears that yes, he did say this.

However, just because Balerion died at X age doesn't meant Sheepstealer or Cannibal are restricted to that same age. Just like one dog dying at age 10 doesn't mean another can't live to be 20.

Yah, but, no way! he was poisoned...

The maesters plotted against Balerion's badassery, finally succeeding with a poison. The maesters than turned the Targs against one another instigating the "Dance". Their plans coming to fruition with all of the dragons pretty much dead or gone. Stupid maesters...

my mind readjusts itself accordingly so these events make sense

Yah, but, no way! he was poisoned...

The maesters plotted against Balerion's badassery, finally succeeding with a poison. The maesters than turned the Targs against one another instigating the "Dance". Their plans coming to fruition with all of the dragons pretty much dead or gone. Stupid maesters...

my mind readjusts itself accordingly so these events make sense

I already quoted the Martin comment where Balerion died of old age.

ETA: Apple - I mentioned about Martin saying Balerion died of old age in response to the Maester poisoning comment :) (although i mentioned he died of old age earlier of course) So yeah, they could potentially still be alive.

That being said, I doubt they are. In Clash, we get told from two different sources (that i can immediately think of anyway) about the strengthening of magic. One is the pyromancers in KL, who mention their spells seem more effective and makes the comment about dragons. The other is Quaithe who iirc specifically says magic is rising since Dany hatched the dragons.

Just my take on things there

i know, and i know your usually right about stuff(except Jon :laugh: ), im just being a big baby, sorry...

Hey! I am actually not very aggressive in my dislike of him I will have you know! :p Just because I dont like him doesnt mean I am wrong about him :p (except when Apple needs to correct me :leaving: )

I just looked into this and it appears that yes, he did say this.

However, just because Balerion died at X age doesn't meant Sheepstealer or Cannibal are restricted to that same age. Just like one dog dying at age 10 doesn't mean another can't live to be 20.

Yeh Balerion was about 200 when he died of old age so it appears dragons have a lifespan of 2 centuries.

So how old were Cannibal and Sheepstealer during the first dance which took place 150 years ago. If the dragons were aged below 50 during the dance then its likly they still live.

Plus, while Balerion died of old age the Targs did use him heavily in their war campaigns, maybe that had an effect on Balerions health.

Aren't wolves notorious for stealing sheep?

"Kneelers" have been referred to as sheep. "Sheepstealer" could refer to a person stealing followers from another.

Those were my first thoughts as well.

Nymeria did attack a shepherd and his flock in ADWD.

Hogg also said that his remaining flock was killed by Nymeria and her pack.

Yeh Balerion was about 200 when he died of old age so it appears dragons have a lifespan of 2 centuries.

So how old were Cannibal and Sheepstealer during the first dance which took place 150 years ago. If the dragons were aged below 50 during the dance then its likly they still live.

Plus, while Balerion died of old age the Targs did use him heavily in their war campaigns, maybe that had an effect on Balerions health.

Assuming that Balerion spent his later years in the Dragonpit. Cannibal would also have the benefit of never being in captivity. If we use Drogon as an example, he's grown faster than his siblings. It also seems that Rhaeghal and Viserion experienced a growth spurt following their release. Therefore, we have no way of knowing how long an un-tamed, un-chained dragon can live.

Assuming that Balerion spent his later years in the Dragonpit. Cannibal would also have the benefit of never being in captivity. If we use Drogon as an example, he's grown faster than his siblings. It also seems that Rhaeghal and Viserion experienced a growth spurt following their release. Therefore, we have no way of knowing how long an un-tamed, un-chained dragon can live.

do you think GRRM has put this much thought into a dragons lifespan? :/

I think the story is leaning towards the mouth-watering idea that Arya will return to Westeros on Sheepstealer.

In Mercy chapter, a weirwood was chasing Nymeria. We know that Bran (as a weirwood) opened Jon's third eye so that he could slip into Ghost and spy on Mance's camp in the Frostfangs. I think it is possible that Bran is trying to do the same to Arya and urging her to find Sheepstealer.

As for the location of Sheepstealer, Nettles disappeared into the Bay of Crabs. I think she lived in Crackclaw point for a while. We know that it is a foggy place and the it is difficult for an outlander to wander that place. Crackclaw point people are loyal Targaryen supporters. I think after a while, Nettles and Sheepstealer passed across the Narrow Sea and took residence around the Sorrows or Ny Sar, both are also foggy places. Sheepstealer used to hunt on the Blackwater Bay and I think it can adapt to live on the Rhoyne and live on what she can offer (like giant bonesnappers).

Finding Sheepstealer in Ny Sar and returning to Westeros will complete Arya's association with Nymeria as Ny Sar was the ancient palace of Nymeria.

Archived