No Sucide yet?

TheBadboy

Martin has experimented with all means of death except Sucide.

Imagine how creepy and.disturbing a chapter might be of a character committing sucide, I am kinda surprised he hasn't used it yet.

Writing a first hand suicide would be really pushing the limits again, but that will give wonderful literary outcomes.

So which PoV if any do you see as committing sucide?

Note ; Except Ashara Dayne apparently, but her death is not confirmed and it's only a third hand report :)

I do think we might be seeing some pretty soon-people who will willingly let themselves be sacrificed to the gods of their choosing or people who are just driven to despair by all the shit that's going down. I bet the suicide rate in Westeros has already skyrocketed since the War began-just nobody's making an official tally, and the Long Winter will only make matters that much worse.

As Gnivil mentioned Aerys Oakheart was pretty much suicide by cop.

I think some of the older hill clansmen fighting for Stannis are going to go into the upcoming battle against Roose Bolton without the intention of living to see who comes out on top.

Also depending how the Greyscale/second Dance of Dragons pays off I think Jon Con could end up as a p.o.v suicide.

I would really enjoy Ayra being sent to kill Cersei. Not suicide. Especially since Ayra "disappeared" and her return as Ayra to say "goodbye" would be perfect, at least for me.

As far as suicide goes... While Martin wants to maintain a sense of realism, it could be that since suicide is a sensitive topic now he is avoiding it? Random guess. Also it would be anti-climatic if certain characters axed themselves.

Beric pretty much committed suicide by giving his flame to Catelyn.

Ashara is said to have jumped to her death when Ned brought Dawn back.

Brandon Stark strangled himself.

Cersei had given orders to be killed if King's Landing were to fall to Stannis.

I don't think Jaime is suicide material...

Jaime decided that if they had to storm Riverrun, he'd be the first on the battlements. Just after he said to Brynden Tully that the first wave would be his ex-allies and they would all die.

I don't think Jaime is suicide material...

I don't think he'd be the sort of person to throw himself out of a window in desperate distress. But his warrior ethos is intact and he has little left to live for. He was willing to basically commit suicide by fighting those scouts along with Brienne and Cleos Frey. He might do something like that, commit to some battle with suicidally bad odds and die in glory instead of having to grow old and die miserable.

Also, didn't GRRM mention some highly controversial chapter in TWoW, perhaps it's a POV suicide? And, at risk of attracting flames, maybe it will be Sansa? Arya has her desire for vengeance keeping her alive, Bran is becoming a tree, Rickon is off gathering Skaagosi (probably) but might Sansa just end her life? It would be tragic enough for GRRM. Also, sometimes her chapters remind me of The Bell Jar, uncomfortably so.

didn't GRRM mention some highly controversial chapter in TWoW, perhaps it's a POV suicide?

It's a Sansa chapter, and it would not serve the story or the build-up. It's still a story, main character death must have a pay-off, and I see none here.

Catelyn's POV at the RW was pretty disturbing and almost suicide like.

I don't think we'll get a POV suicide but perhaps one from a more minor character- Jeyne Westerling, Roslin Frey, JonCon (after realising Young Griff is a fake), Lady Stoneheart etc.

I don't think he'd be the sort of person to throw himself out of a window in desperate distress. But his warrior ethos is intact and he has little left to live for. He was willing to basically commit suicide by fighting those scouts along with Brienne and Cleos Frey. He might do something like that, commit to some battle with suicidally bad odds and die in glory instead of having to grow old and die miserable.

Also, didn't GRRM mention some highly controversial chapter in TWoW, perhaps it's a POV suicide? And, at risk of attracting flames, maybe it will be Sansa? Arya has her desire for vengeance keeping her alive, Bran is becoming a tree, Rickon is off gathering Skaagosi (probably) but might Sansa just end her life? It would be tragic enough for GRRM. Also, sometimes her chapters remind me of The Bell Jar, uncomfortably so.

That would definately count as controversial. Don't see it happening, but if it did half the fan base would go "Darn, another Stark dead" and the other half would go "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Now I want to see that happen. Thanks a lot.

Archived