Football LXXI - My Little Chelsea

Zoë Sumra

The rules for young player of the year need changing. Of that list Hazard's probably been the best player but both him and Sturridge, who's probably second, have years of experience playing in some of the best leagues in world football. It should actually be an award for players relatively new to the professional level.

I love this notion that Liverpool fans specifically will be so much worse than any other fans possibly could be after winning the title. If any fans' team did what Liverpool have done this season and then won the league they would act the same way. How is Liverpool any different?

To be honest, after decades of watching the likes of Steve Harkness, Djimi Traore, Igor Bišćan etc. I too fear how unbearable some Liverpool fans will be.

I can't say I blame them for it, though ;)

The rules for young player of the year need changing. Of that list Hazard's probably been the best player but both him and Sturridge, who's probably second, have years of experience playing in some of the best leagues in world football. It should actually be an award for players relatively new to the professional level.

Honestly, with Hazard being 23 and Sturridge 24 (turning 25 later this year), I can't see why either one of them is considered for the young player of the year award.

I love this notion that Liverpool fans specifically will be so much worse than any other fans possibly could be after winning the title. If any fans' team did what Liverpool have done this season and then won the league they would act the same way. How is Liverpool any different?

I don't know if they'd be any worse than other teams, but what I do know is that there are plenty of them at my workplace, and a lot of them are insufferable already. :p Haven't won a title in 20+ years and already they're saying things are back like they should be, they deserve to win it after waiting so long, etc etc. The sense of entitlement is unbearable. I also can't bear the press talking about how Gerrard deserves it for waiting so long with one club. Of course those reasons aren't really to do with the team itself, but they're my reasons nonetheless. ;)

Mind you, my other reason I don't want Liverpool to win (as I've said a few times before) is Suarez. Your best player is a frothing lunatic and I wouldn't be able to bear the fan love that will cascade down on him should Liverpool win. Quite apart from the Evra racial abuse (which he still denies despite evidence to the contrary) and the barbaric and completely inexplicable Ivanovic biting (which, by the way, is the second time he's bitten someone in his career), he dives like nothing else and protests his innocence at every turn. Even when Arsenal put in a bid for him I didn't want him back then, as the threads back then will attest.

My Chelsea hate is being sorely tested...I would have preferred City to win than either of Chelsea or Liverpool but that's not going to happen now.

Indeed, the choice seems to bee plague vs cholera, or Suarez vs Mourinho.

I really can't decide which one I would most dislike winning the PL. Could we send this season down a black hole? But keep Everton in fourth if we somehow manage to get it?

This does move Pellegrini up among the people I dislike, though. He should have won this with City, and instead he wimpers out and leaves us the Suarez vs Mourinho scenario. Clearly he's not a sympathetic person.

If anyone go to Anfield and eek out a 1-0 win it's Mourinho but they've got the CL on their minds as well. So even if by some miracle they do beat the dippers I still don't see them winning the rest of their games.

It's Liverpool's to lose at this stage.

Indeed. It should be awarded to players u21, imo.

Had a really nice time at the West Ham game, sat in the east stand upper tier, beside some very nice Arsenal fans from the US. The view from up there is spectacular, though the atmosphere in the lower tiers seems more enjoyable. I'll be catching the Newcastle game at the clock end lower tier so that should be fun. I wasn't too concerned about the game, thought we would win throughout, but I'd imagine I would have been more nervous had I been behind the TV instead of at the match.

The emirates is indeed a lovely stadium, though the songs they play at half-time and pre-match are a bit awful. Better they just leave them out really, but oh well. Also, it's just a different experience seeing Ramsey live, it's so obviously evident how much he adds when he comes on in terms of drive. Also barely waits before making decisions, which is really good to see when you compare from about two years ago. Only gripe with the day was that I got home at 2 am and then was up again at 6 for work. That was not any fun at all. Takes a bit to get out of the emirates, if you're one of those to stay till the end, but lesser than I'd imagined. As an aside, I quite like the thread title!

Luke Shaw is great and I hope the increasingly plausible rumblings about us having already signed him for next season are true, but there's no contest between him and Sterling at the mo.

Agreed. While Shaw's had a great season, Sterling's has been magnificent.

Also, defenders rarely win these prizes, unless they're part of a title winning side. In the past 30 years, only three defenders have won it.

Remy is to return to the Newcastle lineup today. Does that mean win vs Swansea? No. Not likely.

If the toon see no more points this season I would not at all be shocked. Sack Pardew. Fail to sign remy. Struggle like mad next season. Those are my predictions.

Luke Shaw makes it kinda close

I haven't actually seen much of him, and Southampton in general, this season so I may have wronged him.

Still, I must go with Spockydog on this one - Shaw is a defender which puts him at a disadvantage.

I'm not saying anything bad about defenders, just that guys scoring goals are more popular than those making goal-line clearances.

Remy is to return to the Newcastle lineup today. Does that mean win vs Swansea? No. Not likely.

If the toon see no more points this season I would not at all be shocked. Sack Pardew. Fail to sign remy. Struggle like mad next season. Those are my predictions.

In fairness I (and others) expected them to struggle as mad this season as well. So there may be hope for next season after all.

I would also hope you lose Ashley one of these days, even if that means the comedy factor goes down.

Heard a statistic the other day that Crystal Palace has scored more goals at St James' Park than Newcastle in 2014 haha.

Archived