Football LXXI - My Little Chelsea

Zoë Sumra

allen needs to be a "little" more clinical? the lad couldnt finish his dinner.

This. Exactly this.

The guy couldn't score a goal to save his life.

Hopefully, he'll make me eat my words, the same way Atletico players and staff did ;)

I don't know what sort of glimmer of hope United could have at this point. They are seventh, and may - if Tottenham implode - end up in sixth. That sort of hope is normal for us toffees, but I can't see United fans really caring one way or the other.

From a footballing point of view, it's probably better that they didn't have the distraction of playing in Europa, think of what Liverpool managed by being able to concentrate fully on the league. Of course on the business side of things they'll want the European matches however they can get them.

What will be interesting though is the offseason transfer window - can Moyes/the board convince potential newcomers that this was a one-off and that the Champions League good times will roll again straight away?

Personally I think Man United are going to find it hard to get back in the top four straight away. One imagines that City will be stronger with Pellegrini now established, Chelsea are going to get the strikers they need so they'll improve, Liverpool will have just won the league, and a healthy Arsenal (who will hopefully bring in another striker) should be just as strong if not moreso than this season.

That leaves teams like United and Tottenham needing some hefty retooling this offseason and instant reward if they want to get back in - not to mention teams like Everton that are already giving them a run for their money, although Martinez will have to deal with the loss of his crucial loanees (then again he could have a good chance of signing them permanently). The best chance of opening up a top four spot is if Wenger leaves Arsenal and there are some handover issues ala Moyes.

EDIT: Mind you the way I'm talking I'm going to jinx Arsenal getting fourth this season...obviously Everton still have a chance to get in ahead of us for a CL spot.

The Telegraph seem to be saying that Moyes is going to ( or has already) be sacked. We'll see where this goes, but I don't think you'll find too many United fans up in arms over this.

I, personally, would give him another year. I don't think it's fair to judge a manager after one season, especially one replacing a legend.

I also think Moyes should be given more time. A good transfer window could get something going again, if he can attract the world-class players he needs.

But I think the business interests at United may pull the trigger.

I don't think he deserves another year but I want him to get another year regardless. I'm finding this running Moyes joke to be very humorous, anyway, who would they give the job to? Because if this is true they must have someone lined up.

i think i am the frontrunner for the job actually.

This is a real shame for Moyes who was thrown to the sharks from the start. A damning indictment of a club, the way it is run, and who it is run by.

Disgraceful all round.

Seems an odd time to sack him. Not like a new manager can save the season, surely.

no. it is not about saving the season. it is about the owners trying to alleviate the pressure a bit. they are saying to the entitled fans who have not known struggle of any real measure in many years 'this is not our fault. it was all him. and now he is gone. good times will come again next year.'

already on twitter i have seen numerous united fans suggest they will win the league next year with klopp at the helm.

Seems an odd time to sack him. Not like a new manager can save the season, surely.

No, but this would give the new manager time to assess the squad ahead of the transfer window.

Does it matter either way though? It's not like they are in contention for the top 4 or the championship. I suppose there is the Europa League, but I don't think they, and by they I mean the board, don't give that too much significance. What would 'save the season' entail? For me, the timing is not really an issue. Even if they don't have a replacement waiting ( and I don't think they do )

Edit: Hope he waits a while before getting another job, presuming he's sacked.

MercChef,

I don't think the support, at least the way it comes across on TV, has been bad at all. They have been under pressure yes, but I think it's been fairly good at Old Trafford.

Archived