The 100 - someone had to start this thread

denstorebog

Alright, yeah, I know. This show is shit. It's basically a big mix of Hunger Games, Lost, Battlestar Galactica and Paradise Hotel. Every goddamn episode ends with a montage and a song to remind you who the fuck the characters are, how they collectively feel and are doing, and how you should feel as a result.

But after hating on a long streak of other shit sci-fi shows like Revolution, Defiance, The Tomorrow People etc. - for some reason I stuck with this. I don't know what it is. It could be

- the rather weak, but still amusing attempt at portraying survivalism-turned-barbarism á la Lord Of The Flies

- the ridiculous percentage of main characters who look like perpetually airbrushed supermodels

- the malicious joy of watching teenagers try to organize themselves and getting hurt and injured in the process

But then again, I have to admit it does some things right as well, and every time I'm positively surprised because this *looks* like a crash and burn 1-season show.

- the lead actress is actually not all that annoying; in fact, as far as newbie teenage actors go, only a few of them are

- most characters turn out to be more than the stereotypes they're initially presented as, even though the psychology behind their motivations is usually pretty simplistic

- a couple of edgy plot twists in the first five episodes, especially that one in ep 3; the show isn't afraid to go to some pretty bleak places that fly in the face of an otherwise glossy appearance

- the plot seems thought out (which can probably be attributed to the fact that it's an adaptation of a novel or a series of novels or something)

So, anyone else watching? And am I wrong in giving it 10% of credit along with the 90% of hate it probably deserves?

You know what, it's fine. I like that they're willing to do some interesting things (as you said, end of ep 3 and 4 really), but sometimes, it's really really hard to get over how perfect they always look and how they seem to find enough food for 100 people in a harsh situation without actually doing anything. Regardless, still sticking with it cause it gives me something to watch after Arrow and it has its moments.

I find the idea behind the show much better than the actual execution. As its been stated, all of these "criminals" are way to attractive.

Its a show that I like ok, but its not one I have to watch right away.

I will say that the murder plot and the end of the previous episode really shocked me as I didn't think they would go that way at all.

the fact that the little girl was the killer and then threw herself off the cliff was a bit of a suprise. Then the way that they did end up snuffing those 300 volunteers really suprised me. I thought for sure the signal from earth would come in at the last minute.

I will say that out of all the television I watch, CW seems to have the most shows of any one network.

I love Arrow.

I like 100 and Tomorrow People

I like Originals and Vampire Diaries(I just can't DVR either)

I also really liked Nikita.

There must be something about a group of hyper attractive people in fantastical settings does something for me, lol.

I haven't watched this week's show yet, but it's waiting for me on the DVR.

I think it's a pretty good show. You know, it's the CW, so you have to expect a certain amount of prettiness. But, for what it is, I think it's a pretty entertaining show. Just watch it and try not to think about it too much.

I'll raise my hand and say I've watched the show. Half the time I feel like I have to cover my eyes and plug my hears and say "don't think about it, don't think about it" over and over because so much doesn't make sense. Like floating. It's a catchy word for execution and would be interesting except the ship is supposed to be running out of oxygen. So, um, they release a whole bunch of oxygen in order to kill someone? Yeah, ok. Also, punishment for using too many medical supplies is to, um, blast potential medical supplies into space. WTF? Have they spent all this time not recycling stuff from corpses? There's all that blood, teeth, etc.

Or the fact that they sent a group of teenagers on this critical mission. Not just any teens, but criminal teens. Teens that weren't even given info on why the mission was so important. Just "you're going to earth, here's a map, hope you don't die". Yeah, ok. Furthermore, where did all these teens come from? How did the population of the ship increase so much in just 100 years? They have family planning laws now, but did the first few years include having as many babies as possible? Speaking of family planning, that girl who lived beneath the floor must have received some amazing socialization lessons from the floorboard ghosts. Yeah, ok. And how are they all in such excellent shape? I suppose they had required workout periods, but still. They should be suffering in some way from being introduced to a completely new environment. I won't even get into how perfectly made up they all are. I'd expect more dirty after this long, but it's CW so it's to be expected. The biggest problem here is that all of the kids look alike, and that they don't look like kids at all. Sort of weird to look at a bunch of 30-year-olds and have to pretend they are teens, but whatevs. It's a good thing Clarke had blonde hair or else I wouldn't be able to differentiate her from all the others.

Despite all this, there's something fun about the show. It's helpful that they haven't been afraid to kill people, lots of people. I also like that Clarke isn't an annoying perfect know-it-all. It makes it easier to root for her because it feels like the writers are at least attempting to make her flawed right out of the gate. I'll probably keep watching this show just for the fun factor, though I think if it didn't have the Arrow lead-in I would forget it existed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just caught up with this show (well... not quite caught up - I'm up to episode 6).

It's not something that would normally inteest me much, but my wife wanted to watch it so we started watching it together.

And I must say, I'm quite surprised about how realistic the motivations of all the characters generally are. Even the "bad guy" on the station isn't really too bad. He's the antagonist but he genuinely wants to do what is best for the inhabitants and just differs in what he believes is for the best. And while he's definitely portrayed as the antagonist, he really just takes a harsher, more pragmatic stance and I think a lot of people would probably side with his view over that of the "good guys".

And the same holds true for kids on the ground. Real, genuine motivations that we can understand. There's clashes in opinions and behaviour but none of it seems artificially generated by sheer stupidity and sloppy writing. Everyone behaves rather reasonably and realistically. And I really wasn't expecting it in a show such as this.

(There might be some dubious logic in a couple of points, but nothing I can't forgive)

I've decided I can watch the really hot people pantomime what surviving in post nuclear conditions would be like.

I've decided that too...I guess great minds think alike

long post long post long post long post

All that,floating sending kids to the ground...none of it bothers me much. Who cares even GoT has plot holes...I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

In general...

I like it. I like how they go dark when necessary,how they don't shy away from killing people,no big hero moments in the last minute...I like the premise of nuclear apocalypse world...I love love love Henry Ian Cusick <wipes little drool in the corner of her mouth> I like how the only difference between seemingly good and bad guys is just that good guys happened to be right about something at that point. I like butterflies that glow in the dark...I like even that poor girl that lived in the floor her whole life even though she was supposed to be irritating at first...I like main blond girl,she's not perfect goody two shoes she's flawed as well...I like most of it so I'll stick with it while it lasts...and HIC of course :drool:

I haven't seen The 100, but the general description is how I feel about The Tomorrow People. I stuck with it despite a dire opening and I'm glad I did. It's improved a lot over the course of the season, from risible bullcrap to cheesy entertainment, with more humourous self-awareness of its own weaknesses. In the hands of a really good writer, the premise could really shine (which is why this is no less than the third attempt to make a TV show based on it, after the 1970s British version and the 1990s UK-Australian co-production) but instead it occasionally flickers here into something interesting for an episode or so.

The biggest surprise is how weak Mark Pellegrino is in it. He's usually a highlight of anything he's in, but he seems to struggle with moral ambiguity of his character. It might be the writing, but if anything all of the younger actors have gotten a hell of a lot better over the season whilst he's gotten worse.

Of course it's been cancelled now, which is typical.

Whaaaa??? I kind of like everyone except Bellamie.

I originally felt that way, but in the last 2-3 episodes I have come around to really liking him.

I really like the grounder that is into the floor girl. He is just a picture of pure sexuality and I'm not suprised at all that floor girl is crazy for him.

Anyone else get a chuckle out of blonde chick threatening the grounder leader with the security force from the ark? I mean how well equipped would the security force be to deal with the grounders in thier own territory? They have been stuck living in space for how many years? The grounders are hardened warriors, they ain't scared.

I haven't seen The 100, but the general description is how I feel about The Tomorrow People.

I've watched both (they were both shows my wife wanted to watch). My opinion of Tomorrow People is pretty similar to your own - I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if my wife didn't want to watch it, but it was watchable dumb fun. I think The 100 is better by a fair margin, though - I suggest you give it a try.

I originally felt that way, but in the last 2-3 episodes I have come around to really liking him.

I really like the grounder that is into the floor girl. He is just a picture of pure sexuality and I'm not suprised at all that floor girl is crazy for him.

Anyone else get a chuckle out of blonde chick threatening the grounder leader with the security force from the ark? I mean how well equipped would the security force be to deal with the grounders in thier own territory? They have been stuck living in space for how many years? The grounders are hardened warriors, they ain't scared.

I liked the Grounder guy too,his personality is really showing when he's shirtless :drool: :) kidding

I was pretty ok with Bellamie until that episode when he went all extra creepy in his relationship with his sister and hung the guy she made out with to a tree...I mean wtf Bellamie? Too creepy and too control freak for my taste.

I think Clark was talking more about the fact that Grounders use cold weapons and they bring with them fire arms. And even though they have been in space it doesn't men they haven't fought each other and that they are not skilled in fighting.. Grounders have the advantage of knowing the terrain but gun is gun and arrow is an arrow. :dunno:

Archived