The 100 - someone had to start this thread

denstorebog

Eh, she's not a protagonist, she had maybe 20 minutes of screen time before last episode. In general I'm not sure how the Grounders keep getting easily taken out while kids who lived their whole life on a space station are suddenly badass after camping for a month. The most egregious example is Octavia who lived under the floor her whole life and can now take out a huge warrior with a rock while she is recovering from poison. I'm pretty sure I could spot Octavia a battle axe and an arm without being too worried, and I am just a keyboard warrior.

I think one of my problems is that I always seem to be on the opposite side from the show's writers. Early on, Bellamy banishes Murphy and protects Charlotte. If I had just been hung for a crime I didn't commit, and then seen the community defend the person who actually confessed to the crime I would be pretty upset too, but the show sides with Bellamy. So basically if you are a dick you deserve to be hung but if you are a cute little (ish - not like she was a toddler) girl go ahead and murder whoever. I also tend to side with the Grounders - the 100 invaded their territory, captured and tortured one of their people, set fire to their village, and opened fire first at the parlay. Despite this, it is presented as horrible when the Grounders attack them and kill a few of their people, but a moment of triumph when the 100 kill all of the warriors in the clan with rockets. I wouldn't have any problem with this if the show didn't seem to go out of its way to portray Clarke et al. as paragons of moral virtue.

These are the biggest problems I have with the show as well.

FINN... HOLY SHIT !!!!!

That was disturbing.

You'd think that those from the Ark (the "Arkians"? Let's go with that.) would give more credence to whatever Bellamy and the other 100 have to say about what's going on. The Arkians have been on the ground for... what... I dunno... a week or so? While the 100 have survived their landing and fought with or dealt with everyone and every thing around for... oh... 50 miles or so. Bellamy for President!!! :commie:

You'd think that those from the Ark (the "Arkians"? Let's go with that.)

Sky People ! ;)

I know I'm a sucker for "bad" characters (hey, Murphy's my favourite one !) and I'm curious as to how they'll write Major Byrne (you know, that blonde bitch) ahead !

Yeah Finn has gone way over the edge. Liked how Clark was backing away from him, compared to her earlier tackle hug of Bellamy.

So the Mountain men created the Reapers as a security measure? Controlling them with Pavlovian response to the sonic device and addictiion to that drug.

Sky People ! ;)

I refuse to use the label. All I hear in my head is King Julian from the Penguins of Madagascar appealing to the "Sky Spirits". Besides, having crashed the Ark onto the planet, they no longer have access to the sky. So there. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember another episode of TV that took me from 'OK, I'm done with this show' to totally back in like this one did. The whole episode I was in shock as almost all the main characters handwaved Finn's killing of 18 innocent people, insisting that they need to protect him at all costs because of... I'm not sure why. The flashback fleshed out why Raven is so loyal to him, but everyone else also acted as if he had gotten caught jaywalking or something. I found it quite annoying. And then they ended the episode with Clarke knifing him to death and totally redeemed themselves! They offed the worst character on the show, added depth to Clarke, and upped the stakes in general. I'm looking forward to a Finn-free rest of the season. God that guy sucked.

Even though the story seemed to really hem in the resolution and make it an obvious conclusion, I was still shocked by the ending with Clarke doing it. I hope the show can change the pace a little bit besides presenting a series of "You have nothing but bad, even horrible choices before you. Now pick one!"

Even though the story seemed to really hem in the resolution and make it an obvious conclusion, I was still shocked by the ending with Clarke doing it. I hope the show can change the pace a little bit besides presenting a series of "You have nothing but bad, even horrible choices before you. Now pick one!"

I hope the sky people stop stepping on everyone's toes yet still being depicted as the ones we're supposed to sympathise with. Basically, what Kindly Old Man said in his post--I feel like the writers go out of their way to make the sky people the heroes despite all the shit they do.

I hope the sky people stop stepping on everyone's toes yet still being depicted as the ones we're supposed to sympathise with. Basically, what Kindly Old Man said in his post--I feel like the writers go out of their way to make the sky people the heroes despite all the shit they do.

Like what? Trying not to choke to death...those bastards. Assuming the Earth was as far as they know dead waste for the last 100 years,ignorant twats. They didn't come to conquer anyone they came literally cause the alternative was to die,so no I don't see how that makes them bad and unworthy of sympathy and I don't see that as stepping on someone's toes,I just see it as trying to survive. Based on what information they had how were they supposed to assume they were trespassing when they first got there? Based on seeing two head deer? Oh look we can breathe,we must be on hostile territory.Yeah very logical how dare they not think of it. I don't see how writers are going out of their way to make them the heroes unless to you going out of one's way is to write something from their perspective. So far they've shown them do some good stuff,some bad stuff,some shitty stuff and basically showed them trying to survive and not get killed or bled dry. Now how is that making them look good? It's just telling the story. They are specifically not taking sides since they've shown us perfectly well why Grounders don't trust Skypeople and why they attacked them first. BTW they did attack first,no worning, and didn't even bother to ask questions later,but shame on the writers showing skypeople trying to defend themselves. The first sight of any other human life on the planet was a spear in the chest of one of their own so to claim they waltzed in expecting to just take someone else's lands without complaints,feeling entitled to it is BS and at best could be described imho just as hipster complaining for the sake of complaining. In the show I watched they were as surprised as the viewers when that spear flew.

They came because they had no other choice they didn't know they weren't alone and they were attacked first and they started responding to the attack. nothing here makes me think they were sugarcoated by the writers. They even made Grounder's behavior perfectly logical and expected. That is one thing the writers were doing great. They can show everyone's motivations pretty clearly and pretty logical and understandable and you are left with no choice but to cheer for both sides. So far the only side I can't sympatise with are the Mountain Men cause they're just simple creepy. Seriously can that scientist man be any more like vampire? If anyone is depicted like someone who is behaving all high and mighty with all the wrong reasons it's them. Doing all those horrible stuff to survive and using saving the history as excuse is awful.

I'm all for positive constructive critique but some complaints here were like taken from a list. Ok now...complain about the main character's moral...checked...complain about writers taking sides...checked...imho it's bs. If you want to complain about something that doesn't make sense how about writers changing the characters between season 1 and 2? Octavia is suddenly a warrior? Really. She took one lesson from Link and now she can fight? Now if that is not unbelievable I don't know what is? How about complaining about Finn suddenly going from voice of reason in season 1 to berserk killing machine? What was that about?And all in one episode. If something was un-based and out of the blue that was. How about complaining about Murphy suddenly being kind to everyone. This is the character who never,not even before they all turned on him and tried to hang him, showed any...I repeat any signs of kindness and now suddenly he's all nice and cute with people who wanted to kill him.Also he is suddenly full of understanding. What? He was perfectly interesting as character who is dick and hates their guts for good reasons,it was actually refreshing to have character who is just dick,no back story no deep explanations,there are people who are dicks everywhere. Making him all sane and Ghandi like, it's imho not only unbelievable but pure lazy shitty writing. I'm all for redemption arcs and all but his was mishandled. How about complaining how suddenly Bellami is commanding people in the camp. He was this guy who was held captive in first episode and in the last one he is actually telling some soldiers what to do. Really? And they obey him why?

I think Abbey trying to save Finn was true to her character.Since the episode 1 she was this mother figure who had trouble with making difficult sacrifice and who always tried to protect kids. First time she was lucky and her trying to save everyone wasn't a bad choice but now she was wrong and her insisting to save him was wrong and everyone told her so. Jaha,Kane everyone. So it's not like writers were taking her side and it was evident with the way they ended with Clark killing Finn. Her own daughter did what she couldn't. That also gave Grounder leader easy way out of the situation. Win win. BTw for all of you who are glad he's dead I think we'll see more of him. Dunno why. Just a feeling. I might be completely wrong. At one point Crane was actually saying it's not their land and they should leave. They are not unreasonable here.

There are many negative but there are also many positive things about this show.

Interesting this is one of the reasons I like the show. I like how they're always stuck between bad choice and even worst choice. :dunno:

^I entirely agree with your first paragraph.

However, I discuss some "character changing" between seasons as you say. Murphy most of all, I buy his redemption. He went through a lot and probably had his ideals of himself crushed very low, so it is logical for me to see him softening up (and since Continuum, I've loved this actor !)

Octavia's case is tougher to defend but well, maybe some time has passed during which she learnt a lot with Lincoln. Maybe she was a predisposed natural fighter as well and if you add the wrath of a woman in love, I can buy it as well... harder than I buy Murphy but I accept it nevertheless.

As for Finn, well, I think he just snapped. Yeah his rampage-killing wasnt really build-up but there were some signs and I read him (even since season 1) as someone who would rather be a hero (or attract attention) than do the right thing. In the end I can accept him snapping out all of a sudden and loosing his shit with not that much of previous signs.

Looking forward to 21st of January !!!

Interesting this is one of the reasons I like the show. I like how they're always stuck between bad choice and even worst choice. :dunno:

Oh, I'm not saying it's all bad. It is, in fact, different from most TV shows in that regard, and thus entertaining. But, it can get tiring. Occasionally, I'd like more of the "Oh, no! Two horrible choices... "Then WHAM! Out of the box thinking offers a clever way out of the dilemma.

To be fair, Murphy never killed "really innocent people". The ones he killed, he did it for vengeance, after they tried to hang him in a mob trial. They're not really "that" innocent.

You could argue that he shot Raven, or that he's responsible for the little girl's suicide. But the former is still alive, and the latter was a murderer and he was just framed for her crime, his heinous reaction was pretty normal on the moment.

^I entirely agree with your first paragraph.

However, I discuss some "character changing" between seasons as you say. Murphy most of all, I buy his redemption. He went through a lot and probably had his ideals of himself crushed very low, so it is logical for me to see him softening up (and since Continuum, I've loved this actor !)

Octavia's case is tougher to defend but well, maybe some time has passed during which she learnt a lot with Lincoln. Maybe she was a predisposed natural fighter as well and if you add the wrath of a woman in love, I can buy it as well... harder than I buy Murphy but I accept it nevertheless.

As for Finn, well, I think he just snapped. Yeah his rampage-killing wasnt really build-up but there were some signs and I read him (even since season 1) as someone who would rather be a hero (or attract attention) than do the right thing. In the end I can accept him snapping out all of a sudden and loosing his shit with not that much of previous signs.

Looking forward to 21st of January !!!

I would buy his redemption better if he showed anything but douche-ness before. What I buy is that he saw he won't survive long without a group and he mellowed down to stay in one,I don't buy him now acting like suddenly he gives a shit about everyone's feelings and stuff...what? Really?

I still don't buy Octavia becoming a warrior. It's too strong to fight. :)

Finn I don't buy only because like you said there was no build up to it. In stead we had Finn always trying to do the right thing,he saved Link etc and then bam...he kills 18 people. It could have been done better.

Oh, I'm not saying it's all bad. It is, in fact, different from most TV shows in that regard, and thus entertaining. But, it can get tiring. Occasionally, I'd like more of the "Oh, no! Two horrible choices... "Then WHAM! Out of the box thinking offers a clever way out of the dilemma.

I get it. It would be nice. I still am not tired of it but who knows maybe I'll get tired of it eventually.

I didn't want Finn to die! Murphy killed innocent people and he's still walking. At least Finn thought he was tryingto save Clark, and I mean it's not the the what's their names weren't killing the sky people for shits and giggles. Ugh. Boo. I wanted more makeout scenes. And maybe shirtlessness.

Shirtless beats depth and logic any time :)

I truly wish for Murphy to remain as long as possible. I think the characters has some great dynamics to offer in the episodes to come.

I thinks so too. But if they keep changing him every half season...keep him one way or another,it's fine to have a-hole in a show,not everyone has to be redeemable? Remember Baltar. I hated that guy.

I was good w/ Finn's "turn" if that is what you want to call it, thru the first 2 guys in the village, but they kept going and it was kind of stupid. Then they turned him back and wanted to pay for his crimes, after not caring about it. I can buy him frantic over finding her. I don't buy him not caring after finding out he was wrong.

Murphy on the other hand, seemed more real. I am not saying the character really changed all that much, just that he knows his only chance is w/ the Sky people, and that if he doesn't fit in, he is dead, so he is trying to as best he can.

With Oct, I buy her willing to do the things she has done to find Link, I just don't buy her having the strength or skills to do it. Nor do I buy her character having been hidden away/ locked up, knowing how to deal w/ anyone new.

Archived