Theories that are not theories [spoilers]

Starspear

- Frey pies

- Gravedigger = The Hound

- Alleras = Sarella (only excuse for anyone who remotely thinks this is a theory is for those under 10)

These are on the page my friends, not theories.

Who's the fool here?

Peruse the forums and you'll understand the heading of this posting.

No, he's right. Those are the actual theories around here. Most so-called "theories" are hypotheses - founded on evidence (unless crackpot...) but not conclusive. Those mentioned might possibly have other explanations, but the answer seems pretty clear cut, which makes them theories as opposed to hypotheses.

I'd add Roose as the man who killed Robb.

I'd add Roose as the man who killed Robb.

Wasn't it obviously Roose that killed Robb though? Catelyn describes him having his trademark armour and pink cloak, and the killer says "Jaime Lannister sends his regards," something only Roose heard, and only Roose has that kind of messed up sense of humour.

Wasn't it obviously Roose that killed Robb though? Catelyn describes him having his trademark armour and pink cloak, and the killer says "Jaime Lannister sends his regards," something only Roose heard, and only Roose has that kind of messed up sense of humour.

Well, it still wasn't explicitly Roose, and there's still the possibility of Roose telling one of his men (for example) to don that armor and utter those words - not that I'd believe it for a second, but it's still not spelled out. That's the point about theories: They are not confirmed as such, but still very much a done deal, as opposed to the hypotheses that are colloquially called "theory"

Well, it still wasn't explicitly Roose, and there's still the possibility of Roose telling one of his men (for example) to don that armor and utter those words - not that I'd believe it for a second, but it's still not spelled out. That's the point about theories: They are not confirmed as such, but still very much a done deal, as opposed to the hypotheses that are colloquially called "theory"

You realize it is no longer interesting when it becomes explicit? There's a reason GRRM and his books are hot... many things are true without being explicit. i.e. Theon lost his head. Deckard is a replicant.

There are theories with little textual evidence and theories with strong textual evidence. Neither of them require spoiler tags, unless they are from recently released material :dunce:

Also, Jojen Paste

And theories that are not theories... because it's right there on the page. 2x = 6... Guess what, x is 3... it does not need to be stated, and yet would still be true.

None of these things have been explicitly stated in the books though (except the Great Northern Conspiracy, but it becomes theory when guessing what the North does next).

It never says the Frey boys were baked into pies. It is strongly hinted with allusions to the rat cook, Frey asking for seconds, Manderly's known hatred of the Freys, and the missing Frey boys themselves.

It is never explicitly stated the gravedigger is the hound. It is strongly hinted with the sects themes of rebirth, the gravediggers size, limp, and horse still there.

Alleras is not confirmed to be Sallera Sand. Alleras isn't even a girl. It is strongly hinted because its her name backwards, she's good with a bow, and she is not in Dorne.

These theories are above most theories in the forum. They even have entries on the wiki. I wish more theories met their strict adherence to textual evidence, but they are still just theories.

None of these things have been explicitly stated in the books though (except the Great Northern Conspiracy, but it becomes theory when guessing what the North does next).

It never says the Frey boys were baked into pies. It is strongly hinted with allusions to the rat cook, Frey asking for seconds, Manderly's known hatred of the Freys, and the missing Frey boys themselves.

It is never explicitly stated the gravedigger is the hound. It is strongly hinted with the sects themes of rebirth, the gravediggers size, limp, and horse still there.

Alleras is not confirmed to be Sallera Sand. Alleras isn't even a girl. It is strongly hinted because its her name backwards, she's good with a bow, and she is not in Dorne.

These theories are above most theories in the forum. They even have entries on the wiki. I wish more theories met their strict adherence to textual evidence, but they are still just theories.

If you seriously believe that Alleras is not Sarella, then I'm afraid I'm at a loss for words. And hence my thread is for others.

If we go by the idea that anything that isn't explicitly confirmed in the books becomes fair game to speculation, then that opens the doors so wide that it's almost pointless to attempt to argue anything at all. Suddenly maybe someone else killed Robb, or maybe Robb named some Royce as his heir, or maybe Rickon is somewhere that's not Skagos. And so on.

You'll find that there are varying degrees of theories on there. Some things that are not explicitly spelled out are nonetheless so compelling that nearly everyone except amateurs or willful contrarians takes them as fact, including Frey pies, Sandor as the gravedigger and, yes, R+L=J. Others are murkier, like Aegon being fake and Jojen paste. And some, like a lot of the prophecies, are almost wide open to any plausible explanation.

That is to say, these theories exist on a spectrum, and not all theories are created equal.

If we go by the idea that anything that isn't explicitly confirmed in the books becomes fair game to speculation, then that opens the doors so wide that it's almost pointless to attempt to argue anything at all. Suddenly maybe someone else killed Robb, or maybe Robb named some Royce as his heir, or maybe Rickon is somewhere that's not Skagos. And so on.

You'll find that there are varying degrees of theories on there. Some things that are not explicitly spelled out are nonetheless so compelling that nearly everyone except amateurs or willful contrarians takes them as fact, including Frey pies, Sandor as the gravedigger and, yes, R+L=J. Others are murkier, like Aegon being fake and Jojen paste. And some, like a lot of the prophecies, are almost wide open to any plausible explanation.

That is to say, these theories exist on a spectrum, and not all theories are created equal.

pairing these two together = brilliant.

You should add the GNC. Mel told Stannis more kings would rise up and claim the crowns of Robb, Balon, and Joffrey.

I don't think she meant that literally, as in there would be future kings claiming the exact same crowns of these three, just that more usurpers would start rising. Even if she did mean it literally though, the Boltons may aspire to be kings.

Archived