Do people dislike Sansa because she's a woman?

I think this might be more applicable to show watchers because they tend to dislike her more than book readers, but i want to here from you guys.

let me start by saying that sansa is one of my favorite characters.

I just saw a video that claimed that the reason people dont like sansa is because she is a woman. she thought that sexism was the driving force behind the hatred because sansa is a tradditionally feminin character. i really dont think that this is the case. i think the reason people dont like her (especially show watchers) is because they expect too much of her. i've talked to a lot of friends about this and they tend to think that she should be a political mastermind. i think this is just because there are a lot of really smart characters, and because she is surrounded by them, she should be just as smart. i've heard so many "she should've" and "why didnt she". people forget that sansa is just a little girl. when i say this, i get the obvious "what about arya?" i dont like this because their situations are just so different. sansa would probably do very poorly in ary's situation, but arya would do worse if she traded places with sansa. she would probably get herself killed.

sansa has hidden behind her courtesy armor, and she has stayed alive. i really dont think it has anything to do with sexism. its just that people forget that she is so young and therefore have overly high expectations.

this might start a fiery debate, so try to keep it civilized. sound off...

` No. Cat is a woman and a character I liked. She was also a strong character; and it wasn't due to her martial ability.

I don't hate Sansa, but she's not one of my favorites. So far she has done and contributed nothing to trying to change her situation.

"Sexism" is often used as a last argument by angry fanboys.

And most importantly ppl tend to mix: Disliking to read about Sansa and Disliking Sansa.

I understand those who thinks her chapter are boring and/or useless, but this is only their opinion, and I also can understand those who doesnt like her for being Sansa or Alyane. I am not in either category but everyone has their opinions.

There is plenty of good reasons to dislike Sansa and plenty of good reasons to like her, you dont need to bring "sexist" to the equation.

TBH, I rarely see "sexism" being brought in Sansa's discussions. The "misogyny argument" is something Dany threads are known for.

I am not sure how much sexism there is in Sansa hate. I see people hating her for all the reasons, many of them wrong by the canon :). To be fair, I agree with MasterJack, people have right to love or hate any character for whatever reason they want to have... And if it contradicts with canon, well, then, this board's posters will soon correct them :)

I dislike Sansa because she's a dreary, mopy sack of suet with her head full of songs and stories with no real comprehension as to where she is, what's happening to her and why. This is mostly the fault of her parents who raised her to be nothing more than a good girl, a good wife and a good mother. So when it came time to head to KL, she was completely unprepared for what awaited her.

And yet, this utterly passive, weak-willed piece of poo is still alive, which is more than you can say for many of the "strong" characters like Ned, Robb, Tywin and Drogo.

So I'm interested to see how she grows as a person from here, and whether she develops the acumen to escape from Littlefinger and start molding her own future.

And most importantly ppl tend to mix: Disliking to read about Sansa and Disliking Sansa.

I understand those who thinks her chapter are boring and/or useless, but this is only their opinion, and I also can understand those who doesnt like her for being Sansa or Alyane. I am not in either category but everyone has their opinions.

There is plenty of good reasons to dislike Sansa and plenty of good reasons to like her, you dont need to bring "sexist" to the equation.

I like the woman Sansa is becoming, I dislike the child she was, who sold out her sister and her father because she wanted to be queen so bad.

The snow castle part though was a very powerful part in my opinion, and I do pity her greatly.

I think mostly Sansa hate comes from the fact she's a "passive" character. But it's that passivity that kept her alive because she not only had no more options but didn't actually know how to survive by herself.

Yeah, this. If she was a guy people would dislike the character just as much, if not more.

I really like Sansa, but I think some people aren't used to characters whose strenght comes from within and who are passive by nature. A similar character in popular culture that receives kind of the same hate is Sakura from Naruto, but she was one of my faves, just like Sansa.

Whoa thread...

The "misogyny argument" is something Dany threads are known for.

mmhmm...More or less.

I found it easier to like Sansa in the show more than the books. Mostly cuz the show gives Sansa a moment or two to really self reflect visibly. Like those little details like the doll Ned gave her still being in her bed chamber. I hope she hangs on to that... And her admission to Marg about being foolish. These are all points that help us see Sansa grow in a visual medium. Now shes holding on to her pain and trying to carry on by pushing it down. Sansa in the books, i dunno, i guess there are just times where i cannot get her thought processes. Like, i have a really really hard time understanding where shes coming from at times. I dont really relate to her but i like reading about her cuz shes gonna do cool stuff. I know shes gonna do cool stuff.

Sansa dislike does have more to do with her passivity than her gender. I think her being female has something to do with why theres anger for her passivity, but its not the sole reason. Sansa isnt disliked because shes female.

It's hard to see Sansa being called a psycopath or Cat being voted 8th most hated character (ahead of Ramsey! Tywin! LF!) and not assume that a sizeable portion of the fandom is misogynistic.

Hell, Until about 2012 Cat/Sansa/Dany would have a weekly hate thread devoted to posters fantasising about how the bitch/cunt/whore would die. They are, in part, why the mods crack down on hate threads so much.

I love Sansa. She is in a really tough spot. The few times she has dared open her mouth she was beatned or threatened. Arya didn't see her father beheaded, Sansa did. Sansa saw Ned's head. Yet, through it all, Sansa still can find it in her to be kind to people. Anyone tough enough can stab someone with a sword, it takes real courage to know when to not fight.

I dislike Sansa because she's a dreary, mopy sack of suet with her head full of songs and stories with no real comprehension as to where she is, what's happening to her and why. This is mostly the fault of her parents who raised her to be nothing more than a good girl, a good wife and a good mother. So when it came time to head to KL, she was completely unprepared for what awaited her.

And yet, this utterly passive, weak-willed piece of poo is still alive, which is more than you can say for many of the "strong" characters like Ned, Robb, Tywin and Drogo.

So I'm interested to see how she grows as a person from here, and whether she develops the acumen to escape from Littlefinger and start molding her own future.

I'm not really sure her parents raising her to run a household affected her ability to think critically. That can probably be chalked up to youth and inexperience. Catelyn was raised to be "a good wife and a good mother" and turned out to be an excellent one, but she's not really seen as weak. Denegrating domestic roles that were traditionally assigned to women sort of makes it seem like you dislike her because she conforms to more Medieval gender roles than the majority of other main female characters.

I personally think that Sansa's personality is what causes people to dislike her, not sexism. She's meek and obediant because it's her natural inclination to be so and that comes off as weakness. She's idealistic and lives in her head, so I think some may interpret that as her being stupid, but I think it's just because she's romantic and artistically inclined. I can see how people who are more inclined to practicality get frustrated with her, though.

Archived