Lord Celtigar's Horn

LadyoftheNorth72

When Axell Florent is detailing his plan to attack Claw Isle, a number of treasures are reputed to be in the castle there. One thing named is "a horn that could summon monsters from the deep."

Honestly I would rather there never be another book published, than have it come down to some ridiculous Godzilla-versus-King Kong type thing, between kraken controlled by the Targs and dragons controlled by the Greyjoys. But I just happened to run across that passage earlier today and it got me wondering.

What if the horn to call up monsters from the deep, was actually Dragonbinder? I will personally eat my hat if Euron found it by wandering ashore in Valyria.

Consider:

*House Celtigar dates to before the conquest and has the blood of old Valyria;

*Crispian Celtigar was Master of Coin to Aegon the Conqueror;

*Bartimos Celtigar sat on the Black Council to Rhaenyra.

So with their history and connections, it's not beyond possibility that the horn they've had hidden away was Dragonbinder. They simply had the sense to make sure it was never sought after, by making up a story so silly that no one would bother. I mean, who WANTS to meet monsters from the deep?

At the time Euron is slithering back toward home, Celtigar's castle is more or less deserted, stuffed full of treasures - and he arrives at the kingsmoot with a heck of a lot of gold, even for a reaver. Reavers usually come upon mixed plunder that is hit-and-miss, not gold chests sitting around in hovels; Celtigar's treasures could easily have been sold off for that gold.

Then there is their feast on the Stoney Steps where it's mentioned repeatedly that they are all drinking fine wines. Of course they are near where most of the best wines in Westeros are made so they could easily be drinking Lord Hewett's stores, but Celtigar was also reputed to have more fine wines stored than anyone could drink in a lifetime.

Maybe this is an old theory and I've just missed it, but the mention of Celtigar's horn caught my attention on reread.

It's an interesting theory.

But I personally think there are three horns, one for monsters from the deep (Krakens and/or Leviathans), one for dragons, one for giants from the earth - which may be symbolic giants, not ones like Wun Wun, but more ones like the Kings of Winter.

All three are connected to the IB storyline, with Sam inadvertently in the middle of it all.

I suspect that the Asha and Stannis alliance will get their hands on the Celtigar horn - either them or the Tyrell group who went to Dragonstone.

I hope Dany lets Victarion plunder Claw Isle as payment for the Iron Fleet transporting her to Westeros. There is no one better suited to that horn and ax than Vic. As far as the cheesiness of giant monsters battling, get over it. Victarion is going to use his giant kraken to pluck Euron's dragon from the sky.

Something tells me Victarion will end up with it - if for no other reason but that he's carnage with an axe.

I see what you mean. But this makes me unhappy because I hate Vic.

Asha's pretty handy with axes herself. :)

I like that much better.

I hope Dany lets Victarion plunder Claw Isle as payment for the Iron Fleet transporting her to Westeros. There is no one better suited to that horn and ax than Vic. As far as the cheesiness of giant monsters battling, get over it. Victarion is going to use his giant kraken to pluck Euron's dragon from the sky.

I think she'd rather want to ally with claw isle rather than letting Vic plunder, but thats just my opinion

I like this. Sounds awesome and Vic is my fav character besides Stannis.

I see what you mean. But this makes me unhappy because I hate Vic.

I like that much better.

Why do you hate Vic? Hes encased in kraken armor and wields a giant axe and is not afraid of death because hes a godly man. Hes also going half way across the water just to ruin his brothers plans and take the most beautiful woman in the world. Hes awesomeness embodied.

Why do you hate Vic? Hes encased in kraken armor and wields a giant axe and is not afraid of death because hes a godly man. Hes also going half way across the water just to ruin his brothers plans and take the most beautiful woman in the world. Hes awesomeness embodied.

If you like wife beaters and murderers as well as idiots. He is stupid, believes salt wives and thralls are being honored, has no strategic capacity at all being far too stupid, and he beat his wife to death simply because his manipulative brother SAID he slept with her. There is nothing to like.

If you like wife beaters and murderers as well as idiots. He is stupid, believes salt wives and thralls are being honored, has no strategic capacity at all being far too stupid, and he beat his wife to death simply because his manipulative brother SAID he slept with her. There is nothing to like.

And too many times on this forum Ive been accused personally of liking sexual slavery, and wife beating just because I like the Greyjoys and the Ironborn, Im sick of it.

Archived