Bran Stark and Ned's secret.

Sir Alec

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.

I subscribe to the Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon theory.

But with a dead Ned and Jon's fate uncertain, how are we to know what exactly Ned promised to Lyanna?

It's possible it will be revealed as Bran does his tree thing.

Ned doesn't seem the type to do vocal prayers in the godswood, but grief does strange things.

And if he doesn't explicitly say it in front of the tree, who knows? Maybe Bran develops some super mind reading power.

Just a dumb idea.

But with a dead Ned and Jon's fate uncertain, how are we to know what exactly Ned promised to Lyanna?

Ned doesn't seem the type to do vocal prayers in the godswood, but grief does strange things.

And if he doesn't explicitly say it in front of the tree, who knows? Maybe Bran develops some super mind reading power.

Just a dumb idea.

I think from the KotLT story, Lyanna and Rhaegar met near a weirwood. Or maybe I am making that up.

Anyway as he learns he can see via birds and other animals too, so I am not sure it matters.

The only living person that may know is Howland Reed. He and Ned were the only two men to survive the fighting outside the Tower of Joy.

Yeah but with Bran seeing any past event he wants via weirwoods and birds, that doesn't matter. He has ways to find out once he knows when and where to look.

The only living person that may know is Howland Reed. He and Ned were the only two men to survive the fighting outside the Tower of Joy.

It would be pretty cool to have a chapter from his POV. Or at least one of the Reeds. They're so obscure.

I think from the KotLT story, Lyanna and Rhaegar met near a weirwood. Or maybe I am making that up.

Anyway as he learns he can see via birds and other animals too, so I am not sure it matters.

IMO that theory is the best.Rhaegar was sent to find the knight of the laughing tree but the only thing found was the shield hanging from a Weirwood tree.Alot of people have said that more then likely he found Lysanna and saw she was the knight.There is also the possibility that they married at a Weirwood tree.

In both cases Bran might be able to put two and two together.

I think the second is most likely as to marry in the 7 you require a septon while all you need is a weirwood to be married according to the "Old Gods"

We actually know that Ned DID pray aloud to the weirwood, because Brantree overhears Ned praying for Robb and Jon to grow up as brothers and Cat finding it in her heart to forgive.

The bigger question is how exactly Bran would get that message TO anyone who matters.

Yeah but with Bran seeing any past event he wants via weirwoods and birds, that doesn't matter. He has ways to find out once he knows when and where to look.

I can understand Bran the weirwood trees. Each tree has probably lived for hundreds of years and have seen many things in the lifetimes.

Birds however, I have a hard time believing that they could be used to look at past events. Most of the birds that were alive when during Robert's Rebellion are probably dead by now. So unless they transfer memories, I believe they are useless when it comes to the Tower of Joy.

Firstly Welcome to the Forum Sir Alec :cheers:

I too think that it's a possibility that's Bran would reveal R+L=J, but by seeing Lya's and Rhaegar's wedding. There's a theory that Lyanna was staying in Harrenhal when she and Rhaegar fled. Harrenhal is right by the Isle of Faces so they could have married in front of a Weirwood and used a Septon as well, Meribald, without the Septon realising who they were, using Ser Dayne and Whent as witnesses.

And I think there are other people who know about R+L=J, Wylla for one, could have been the Starfall wetnurse supplied to them, as well as other Daynes. Jojen possibly knows as he has Green Dreams and could have dreamt about the ToJ and his father told him of what he saw.

We actually know that Ned DID pray aloud to the weirwood, because Brantree overhears Ned praying for Robb and Jon to grow up as brothers and Cat finding it in her heart to forgive.

The bigger question is how exactly Bran would get that message TO anyone who matters.

Well iirc Theon could hear Bran couldn't he?

Firstly Welcome to the Forum Sir Alec :cheers:

I too think that it's a possibility that's Bran would reveal R+L=J, but by seeing Lya's and Rhaegar's wedding. There's a theory that Lyanna was staying in Harrenhal when she and Rhaegar fled. Harrenhal is right by the Isle of Faces so they could have married in front of a Weirwood and used a Septon as well, Meribald, without the Septon realising who they were, using Ser Dayne and Whent as witnesses.

And I think there are other people who know about R+L=J, Wylla for one, could have been the Starfall wetnurse supplied to them, as well as other Daynes. Jojen possibly knows as he has Green Dreams and could have dreamt about the ToJ and his father told him of what he saw.

Thanks!

Awh man. Maybe they have some strategic things going on. This is such a complicated story.

Well iirc Theon could hear Bran couldn't he?

Let's not forget that Bran can also enter Hodor's mind. Admittedly, Hodor's pretty simple, but if Bran keeps practicing, who knows what could happen?

And maybe (assuming his wounds were fatal) if Jon warged into Ghost, there could be some potential in Bran communicating with him in that way. He could send out Summer or something.

Just a dumb idea.

Actually, Bran might know already, he just needs to remember. He had that dream about Ned in the crypts, telling him something about Jon, but Bran doesn't recall what it was, only that the dream was deeply disturbing.

Which doesn't mean there were no other people inside. They found Ned holding Lyanna's dead body, after all.

Bran finding out about Jon through a weirwood could be possible, but doubtful. It would mean some unlikely theories would be true, and even if he does, there isn't someone to spread the word. Unless you think Meera can brave a much more treacherous landscape solo, that she barely survived with a group a few months prior. I think the information has to come from Howland. Yes, there were most likely more individuals at the ToJ (wet nurse, servants, etc), but I doubt they actually knew what was hapoening. The secret has been kept for this long, I doubt some random midwife holds the key.

Bran finding out about Jon through a weirwood could be possible, but doubtful. It would mean some unlikely theories would be true, and even if he does, there isn't someone to spread the word. Unless you think Meera can brave a much more treacherous landscape solo, that she barely survived with a group a few months prior. I think the information has to come from Howland. Yes, there were most likely more individuals at the ToJ (wet nurse, servants, etc), but I doubt they actually knew what was hapoening. The secret has been kept for this long, I doubt some random midwife holds the key.

Last we saw, Bran, early in his training, can already whisper through the trees and make the ravens talk. With more practice those ravens will be talking in full sentences.

So...he doesn't need to get back south to tell anyone. He can just squawk out the truth and people's jaws will drop at the amazing words spilling from the beaks of birds.

Nice scene eh?

Last we saw, Bran, early in his training, can already whisper through the trees and make the ravens talk. With more practice those ravens will be talking in full sentences.

So...he doesn't need to get back south to tell anyone. He can just squawk out the truth and people's jaws will drop at the amazing words spilling from the beaks of birds.

Nice scene eh?

It would be. And that's kinda believeable since with everyone's magic getting a boost from the return of dragons, it would seem that a greenseers would too. I know the closest BR has come would be "Snow" (if you believe that sort of thing). I would find it hard to believe Jon's parentage coming from a squaking raven though....since his parentage is probably one of the most highly anticipated uncoverings of the series. I think it would be kinda a letdown. But the theory of Bran the Greenseers powers growing is actually a really good point. The GS have still had power even in the absense of dragons (at least I am assuming as BR is a tree), but we haven't seen how far it can go. If, like all other magicka personas, it's resonable to consider the GS's with a boost in power as with all other factions....very interesting.....good point!

I think that, given Jon's complete lack of training at warging (and that his experience with them thus far has really kinda sucked), it's going to take a lot more than a chat with a bird to convince him that everything he believes about himself is a lie; everything his "father" ever told him was a lie.

There is also the obstacle of Jon's stubborn insistence on underestimating and underrating himself. He has grown a great deal of outward confidence in his short time as LC but inwardly is still plagued with self-doubt. He would not take Winterfell when offered both because of his responsibility to the NW, and because to him it was stealing a birthright he would not accept as his.

It could be argued I suppose that he has more or less turned his back on the NW by planning the attack on the Boltons & Co, but I don't believe it. I think he would expect to be at minimum removed from command, at worst executed for breaking his NW oaths, but would see it as his duty to accept whatever judgment they come to (if he lives to be judged) rather than run away from it based on a story about his ancestry that he will have a very hard time accepting.

And if he would not accept legitimacy and WF when quite frankly it would probably have been best for WF/the Starks in general as well as for himself, then I think it's going to take a literal act of the gods to convince him that he has any right or claim to power on a realm-wide basis.

Archived