Names that just don't work

Ocelot

"Sansa" always makes me think of "Sansabelt", which is brand of men's trousers. The name means "Without a belt" in butchered Franglish.

For a hundred years, baseball players wore buttondown flannel jerseys and knickerbockers that were fastened with a belt. Then in 1970, several clubs introduced double-knit pullover jerseys and sans-a-belt pants.

Probably Ned named all the boys honoring his friend (Robert), his mentor (Jon) and his family (Bran and Rickon) and Catelyn named the girls. Sansa at least has the same ending as Minisa, Catelyn's mother.

The names of places are extra-lame.

Highgarden?

Sunspear?

The Crag?

Haystack Hall?

Longtable?

Rook's Rest?

The Eyrie?

Runestone?

What kind of names are these?

Middle Earth is just so much better named, you'll find no real-world names there, no Martins no Roberts, only Aragorn's, Maedhros' and Turin's.

i like highgarden very much! it sounds poetic and reminds of the babylonian gardens. that's how i picture it to be like. and i also love the sound of riverrun.

meereenese names are all the same, full of zirhar-no-zonzo. and how many shavepates are there?

Victarion: most of the names ending in "on" are found in the North or the Iron Islands and are probably supposed to be from the 1st men. Most of them are only 2 syllables, so "Victarion" doesn't fit in. Also, it sounds like "victor," which doesn't fit either.

:bs: It's easily the best name in the series.

Victarion: most of the names ending in "on" are found in the North or the Iron Islands and are probably supposed to be from the 1st men. Most of them are only 2 syllables, so "Victarion" doesn't fit in. Also, it sounds like "victor," which doesn't fit either.

Actually, most of the names that finish in "on" are Valyrian, not First Men-ish... and Victarion is not the only Greyjoy with a trisyllabic name, his younger brother was named Urrigon after all.

Victarion is also by far the best name in the series, don't you dare criticize it.

Jaime: An alternative spelling of a diminutive name generally used for females, it's hardly what Tywin Lannister would name his 1st-born son and heir. And it isn't remotely badass.

Probably been mentioned by others, but Jaime is a very common name for men. It's like Jessie vs. Jesse. I know several men named Jaime.

Archived