How would Jaime and Barristan react if commanded to beat Sansa?

Nymeria Stone

They would do it, Jaime would not had his hand cut off, and would have remained a belief less son of a whore. As o Barry, well, the guy did serve under Aerys, who burnt men alive and raped his wife when old Barry and crew sat outside. Barry may have rationalized it later.

As already mentioned, they both stood by whilst the Mad King burned people alive and raped his wife. We know that Jaime disliked doing nothing at such a time but he still stood by did it. I don't think either would have refused Joffery no matter their personal feelings on the abuse.

As already mentioned, they both stood by whilst the Mad King burned people alive and raped his wife. We know that Jaime disliked doing nothing at such a time but he still stood by did it. I don't think either would have refused Joffery no matter their personal feelings on the abuse.

Jaime killed the Mad King though

Jaime killed the Mad King though

He killed him because his actions threatened not only his life, but the lives of thousands of people in quite extraordinary circumstances. He didn't do a thing when the Mad King was burning Starks alive and he wasn't even related to Areys where as Joffery is his "nephew" and the son of the women he loves.

Jaime pushed a little boy out a window and was prepared to gut Arya for no reason.

Yeah, that is pretty much decisive as far as I am concerned. I don't understand why people think that the Jaime of early GOT will have any issues doing this.

Barristan would have done it Arys Oakheart-style, i.e. half-assed to make himself feel less guilty. Jaime would have tried to persuade Joffrey out of having it done but in the end also probably would have done it.

I must say I'm continuously surprised by the myth of the pure and honorable Selmy. The guy served Aerys to the very end and only left Joffrey because he got sacked. Let's not kid ourselves here, mmkay?

Also I would imagine that Jaime would have been a powerful enough figure in the court to flat out tell the king no anyway, brother of the queen, son of Tywin etc.

^ This. Along with the fact that Jaime was lecturing the KG about "protecting the king from himself" (i.e. if tommen wants to kill his horse, stop him). The only reason why Aerys's KG stood by and did nothing is because they'd be burnt alive for treason if they tried to do something.

I must say I'm continuously surprised by the myth of the pure and honorable Selmy. The guy served Aerys to the very end and only left Joffrey because he got sacked. Let's not kid ourselves here, mmkay?

But isn't that exactly the definition of honor in the asoiaf world? No one seems to think that the knights who remained steadfastly loyal to the Targaryen cause despite knowing what Aerys was like were dishonorable. Jaime was the only one who did not remain loyal (although under truly extraordinary circumstances) and he is reviled for turning on Aerys.

^ This. Along with the fact that Jaime was lecturing the KG about "protecting the king from himself" (i.e. if tommen wants to kill his horse, stop him). The only reason why Aerys's KG stood by and did nothing is because they'd be burnt alive for treason if they tried to do something.

That's under Tommen, though, not Joffrey.

But isn't that exactly the definition of honor in the asoiaf world? No one seems to think that the knights who remained steadfastly loyal to the Targaryen cause despite knowing what Aerys was like were dishonorable. Jaime was the only one who did not remain loyal (although under truly extraordinary circumstances) and he is reviled for turning on Aerys.

My point is that if Selmy is ordered by the king ordered to beat a girl, he will. The fact that it's even in doubt speaks to how whitewashed Selmy has become.

Perhaps honorable wasn't the best word to use, as you suggested. But I think my point is still pretty clear.

Archived