Jaime, Brienne, Lady Stoneheart, the Brotherhood: what do you want to happen?

Dickon_Tarly

Ryman Frey was the heir to the Twins, thus that is better then anything the rest of the North has been able to do. I doubt trials by combat are needed in every case thus she didn't deny him anything. Though I am sure Beric would have gotten off by killing him with his flaming sword and calling that a fair trial.

And now someone who might be somewhat competent stands to inherit the Twins, in a way she did the Freys a favor by killing Ryman. Everyone is supposed to have the right to trial by combat, she doesn't give it to them. Even by Westerosi standards the Brotherhood's way of doing things under Stoneheart is a joke.

And now someone who might be somewhat competent stands to inherit the Twins, in a way she did the Freys a favor by killing Ryman. Everyone is supposed to have the right to trial by combat, she doesn't give it to them. Even by Westerosi standards the Brotherhood's way of doing things under Stoneheart is a joke.

Ned didn't give Gared the option of Trial by Combat, Jon didn't give Slynt the option of Trial by Combat, Stannis doesn't give Alister Florent the option of Trial by Combat, heck when Beric captures a number of Brave Companions he likely didn't give them the option of Trial by Combat (seeing how they are all executed without Beric fighting them all). Thus, there is no proof there is an absolute right to Trial by Combat. Moreover, Trial by Combat is an absolute joke with UnCat's methods of using actual evidence/admissions being much more fair.

I want Jamie to be brought before Lady Stoneheart, discover that Brienne died and was brought back to life, then do some fast talking to save himself.

He'll convince LS that he can deliver to her the bulk of the Freys and outline a plan on the fly.

Then when the Freys are celebrating 'the end of the war', Jamie will arrive with his bannermen (actually the Brotherhood Without Banners), and make a big show of having 'captured' Lady Stoneheart and present her to the Late Lord Frey.

And then she reveals herself by lowering her hood, and the signal for attack is given by LS revealing a hidden dagger and stabbing Lord Frey in the chest.

After that the BwB's put as many Freys and their soldiers as possible to the sword and burn the Twins down to the ground.

LS trial was way more fair than Berics. That bein said I Hope she hangs the lot of them well especially Jaime. Please just hang him no nonsense :D

I don't want to actually hang Brienne and Pod though Jaime is fair game.

Ned didn't give Gared the option of Trial by Combat, Jon didn't give Slynt the option of Trial by Combat, heck when Beric captures a number of Brave Companions he likely didn't give them the option of Trial by Combat (seeing how they are all executed without Beric fighting them all). Thus, there is no proof there is an absolute right to Trial by Combat. Moreover, Trial by Combat is an absolute joke with UnCat's methods of using actual evidence/admissions being much more fair.

Gared and Janos don't even get trials, they are just executed. Lady Stoneheart is supposedly giving these men trials.

What evidence? They ask her if she wants to hang them, they beg for mercy, she hangs them. The only evidence she needs is association with the Lannisters, Freys, or Boltons.

I'm fine with her letting Brienne live as long as she delivers the Kingslayer without any hiccups :devil:

Agree.

I hope Brienne does not end up reneging on her oaths to Cat for scumbag Jaime.

I hope LS cuts off Jaime's remaining hand and then uses him to retake RR in the RW 2.0 before hanging him and then returning to peace.

We don't see eye to eye on much, but on this I agree.

Gared and Janos don't even get trials, they are just executed. Lady Stoneheart is supposedly giving these men trials.

What evidence? They ask her if she wants to hang them, they beg for mercy, she hangs them. The only evidence she needs is association with the Lannisters, Freys, or Boltons.

So I guess Ned and Jon are even worse then Lady Stoneheart with their justice.

For the Freys she acts as an eye witness to the atrocities they committed/facilitated at the Red Wedding.

For Brienne they present the evidence of her papers from Tommen, Lannister gold, Lannister Valyrian Sword, Lannister Squire, and her moaning of Jaime's name to demonstrate their argument that he has turned cloak to side with the Lannisters despite her vows to Catelyn.

I do not have any particular desire to see this situation resolved one way or another, but I continue to think the Brienne-as-a-hostage-to-compel-Jaime angle is the most likely scenario based on the reasonable assumptions we can make about the situation.

Assumption #1: Jaime is still alive. This is pretty self-explanatory just going by narrative conventions, but even beyond that, Jaime is obviously going to see Cersei again (the foreshadowing for which is too voluminous to list here).

Assumption #2: Jaime is still alive, as justified in-story, because Catelyn needs him for something, otherwise, he would already be dead. There is not even a need to prove his guilt, as he has already confessed to Catelyn many of his crimes, while others were heard directly by Tom O'Sevens and Brienne.

Assumption #3: Catelyn doesn't need Jaime to compel Brienne since Catelyn already has the other hostages, which have already been used to do precisely that. And, what's more, because of who Jaime is, he can uniquely accomplish many things which are not possible for Brienne, which goes back to the second assumption.

Assumption #4: Whatever it is that Catelyn wants, it is quite unlikely that Jaime will share that desire because their interests do not align; and even if he did, because of previous events (and his deserved reputation), there is no manner in which Catelyn can simply trust Jaime.

Assumption #5: The only way Catelyn can compel Jaime to do what she wants, and trust that he will do it, is to blackmail him using something of value to him. The only such thing she possesses is Brienne.

Ned didn't give Gared the option of Trial by Combat, Jon didn't give Slynt the option of Trial by Combat, Stannis doesn't give Alister Florent the option of Trial by Combat, heck when Beric captures a number of Brave Companions he likely didn't give them the option of Trial by Combat (seeing how they are all executed without Beric fighting them all). Thus, there is no proof there is an absolute right to Trial by Combat. Moreover, Trial by Combat is an absolute joke with UnCat's methods of using actual evidence/admissions being much more fair.

According to "The Mystery Knight," trial by combat is a right afforded only to nobility.

No members of the Brave Companions are nobility, unless my memory is incorrect.

Gared and Janos Slynt are both members of the Night's Watch and thus aren't subject to that right, as they hold no titles. Yes, Stannis doesn't give Allister Florent Trial-by-Combat, almost as though he's a little unjust, or something, what with burning people alive.

According to "The Mystery Knight," trial by combat is a right afforded only to nobility.

Yet Dunk was given such a trial in the Hedge Knight. All the members of the BwB have been knighted, also.

Yes, Stannis doesn't give Allister Florent Trial-by-Combat, almost as though he's a little unjust, or something, what with burning people alive.

Oh, right, executing someone based on evidence without leaving him a way to kill one of your men and leave scot-free because he knows his way around a sword is totally unjust.

Archived