Arthurian lore and ASOIAF - Gregor`s demise and some other nonsense

Surokh

Hello all,

After re-reading "The Once and Future King" after a long time, I have noticed a couple similarities with the story and since many people attempt to make theories based on celtic mythology, I do believe that Arthurian legend is worth inspecting for similar reasons.

Jaime will kill Gregor/Robert Strong

Jaime`s story seems eerily similar to that of Lancelot. His defining feature is him being torn between his love (who is the wife of his King) and his duties as a knight.

They are both considered the greatest knights alive at their peak and both lose that title after a life changing event.

To Lancelot the life changing event is him getting seduced by Elaine, who in personality is a bit similar to Brienne who helps Jaime overcome his depression after his losing his hand.

During this event Galahad is sired, who grows up to be a champion of the faith. Likewise this is when Lancel Lannister is used as a bedwarmer by Cercei, prompting him to later join the Warrior`s sons.

They also both idolize a guy named Arthur.

In "The Once and Future King" there is a story, when a Hungarian knight named Ser Urre of the Mount comes to Camelot seeking aid. He was cursed after slaying a Spanish knight, so his seven wounds inflicted by the knight will not heal until searched by the greatest knight on earth. Lancelot, altough not considering himself worthy is still able to heal him. This is when he is redeemed.

Gregor bears some resemblance to Urre in name and his brother is the only character I can think of in the series, who has a name that is Hungarian beyond doubt. He was wounded by a prince of Dorne and was later ressurrected and unlife can easily be interpreted as a curse, which could be lifted, by helping him to the afterlife.

Craster, Bolton, Gilly

I have recently read a theory on this forum, about Craster`s wife, Ramsay`s mother and Gilly being other/magical seductresses, in which case the Orkney sisters in Arthurian legend may be worth looking into.

I still require to read the Malory Thomas version of the Arthurian Legend before I can make more assumptions or truly flesh any theory out, but until then comments would be welcome about my toughts on Jaime or if someone has found other similarities.

That puts Dany in the role of Morgan which is interesting.

I don't think Pentos would be Avalon/Glastonbury. It would have to be a place of religious significance and Pentos doesn't seem particularly faithful.

The Isle of Faces can be related to Avalon both being an island where the old magics have retreated. Maekar in the Hedge Knight fulfills a similar role to the knight with two swords. I have read Le morte Darthur and The deeds of King arthur and his Noble knights and I think that my assumptions that many parts of ASOIAF draw heavily from Arthurian lore are correct. I will do a reread and then will post a theory that is much more clearly written than the one above.

Gregor bears some resemblance to Urre in name and his brother is the only character I can think of in the series, who has a name that is Hungarian beyond doubt.

Janos is also a Hungarian name, in fact the most common male name in Hungary. (and Urre most likely comes from the word úr, which is not a name, but means lord, or noble)

Lancel and Lancelot

Bael the Bard and Petyr Baelish

The names are obviously intentional.

Where is Avalon in this story? Isle of Faces?

Yes, but I think the similarities end there.

The Daynes in Starfall resemble most the Arthurian template. I put Avalon and Camelot around their part of Westeros.

Janos is also a Hungarian name, in fact the most common male name in Hungary. (and Urre most likely comes from the word úr, which is not a name, but means lord, or noble)

But Janos is also used in the Czech Republic and by Jews, written in the same way. Urre is his name. Artur means bear in celtic and yet he is called that. I think that we are going in the wrong directions tough by going after similar names. I only mentioned Arthur because both Jaime and Lancelot have a sort of brotherly love towards their own.

I`ll get back to Uni the next monday and hopefully the library there or the city library has a copy of the books, as my own are not with me. I will try to reread the parts about the Kingsguard and start from there, as obviously they are the ones representing chivalry in the series.

There's also this tidbit. Jamie's missing hand has always reminded me of Llew/Lludd, who loses a hand. . . also, Jamie has that weirwood dream where he's under Casterly Rock, with a glowing sword.

This name transmutation is further attested by Charles Squire in Celtic Myths and Legends in which he identifies Lot as a late incarnation of a British god who is remembered in medieval Welsh legend as Lludd Llaw Eraint (Lludd Silver Hand).

Lludd Llaw Eraint appears only in the Arthurian tale Culwch and Olwen as the father of Creiddylad, who was said “to be most splendid maiden in the three Islands of the mighty, and in the three Islands adjacent, and for her Gwythyr the son of Greidawl and Gwynn the son of Nudd fight every first of May until doomsday”.

Nuada Airgetlám
Lludd Silver Hand of Welsh tradition is cognate with Nuada Airgetlám from Irish mythology, who carries the same epithet (Airgetlám = "Silver Hand/Arm"). Nuada Airgetlám was the first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann (Children of the Goddess Danu). He is the son of Danu, the god of healing, writing, poetry, sorcery, magic, the Sun, childbirth, beauty, youth, ocean, dogs, weapons, and warfare. Nuada had an invincible sword, Claíomh Solais (Sword of Light), known as one of the The Four Treasures of Ireland.

"From Findias was brought the Sword of Nuada;
no man would escape from it when it was drawn from its scabbard.
There was no resisting it." [5]

In the First Battle at Mag Tuired, Nuada lost his arm in combat with the Fir Bolg champion Sreng. Later his arm was replaced by a prosthetic limb made from silver by his brother, the physician Dian Cecht. After he had lost his hand in battle, he had to abdicate his throne as king to be replaced by Bres, who became a tyrant king. The Tuatha de Danann eventually exiled Bres and Nuada resumed his position as king. Balor, of the evil eye, later killed Nuada.

http://clasmerdin.blogspot.com/2008/10/luds-church-v.html

Archived