Are men of the nights watch allowed to leave the wall?

Iron Hawk

I know that a Night's Watch sentence is for life. This makes me wonder about Benjen.

In the first episode Benjen rode to Winterfell to eat at that King's Supper when Robert visited. Was he allowed to leave his watch? Even if he's just visiting family and he's going to return, was Benjen allowed to abandon post for a few days?

I know that a Night's Watch sentence is for life. This makes me wonder about Benjen.

In the first episode Benjen rode to Winterfell to eat at that King's Supper when Robert visited. Was he allowed to leave his watch? Even if he's just visiting family and he's going to return, was Benjen allowed to abandon post for a few days?

As long as the Lord Commander knows and signs off on it so to speak, I don't see why it would be an issue.

Gives him a chance to press his brother and maybe even the king for some help. Even if the NW weren't allowed ever leave the Wall/Gift back in the day, they have to be more practical in how they get supplies/men now because the NW doesn't have the same pull for young knights etc. that it once did.

They serve for life, but that is a lot to ask of anyone. Think of how they go "digging for treasure" in Mole's town. Most likley the LC can see the type of men the watch now has, and know that if the rules get too over-the-top, he's gonna have to kill a bunch of "deserters". Yes, technically, they are not suppose to ever leave their duty. (obviously RANGERS would be leaving the wall to the North, wildling country, Yoren to gather recruits etc..) However, a summons from a Stark, to a Stark, to come attend a banquet in honor of the king, and family friend? I doubt the NW would even try to resist the political pull the Warden of the North and King of the realm have.

In essence, yes, they are bound to duty with no reprieve. However, circumstantial instances are allowed due to maintaining an actual fighting force. And as NightStark said, they could use such visits as Benjens' for the benefit of the watch.

Yes, while on duty, doing the NW's business. Like recruiting, or lobbying influential nobles for the Watch.

I also got the feeling that he was partially on a business trip while in Winterfell. I guess the Starks always had close connections with the Night's Watch, so the Lord of Winterfell and the First Ranger being brothers certainly is advantageous.

I agree with the former posters.

We have another case: Sam at the Reach delivering Gilly and the baby to Horn Hill. Although his "public" mission is to stay at the Citadel, he's allowed to pass by his home to drop Gilly. Even if he stays at the Citadel and just sends Gilly with a letter to his mother, it;s not like he's forbidden to pay a call (at least from the NW side).

There is certain flexibility in the NW, because it's impossible to stick to all the vows and traditions. They keep them to the show, but they are indulgent in some cases. Like the rangers that had friends and lovers among the wildling villages near the wall. Or in Mole Town.

The NW can be viewed as permanent on duty soldiers, you can leave the wall (your post) with the permission of a commander. They will also make exceptions for guys visiting Mole's Town brothels for a night but any longer than that will be seen as desertion or going AWOL

So far the only people we've seen leave the wall are on official NW business. Benjen was at Winterfell to get support from his brother and hopefully the king.

Archived