Did anyone else find themselves rooting for the Greens by the end ( huge tPatQ spoilers)

Ravenkingsamurai

Is it me, or after the 1st battle of Tumbletown and the great betrayers, i really turned on the Blacks ( except for the Valaryons.) Rhaenya made bad decision after bad decision which really made me want to scream at her. Daemons death meant that one of the last likable characters on her side was gone. And then the nettles incident ( i really felt for Lord Mooton at that moment, and when he defected i probably said "good on you.")

Its ironic, since before reading the book i really liked the Blacks because of what other people were saying on this forum. Now, having read it, i've actually found Aemond to be a more complicated character who had likable ( albeit rare) moments-especially the flight over Harrenhal. Daeron and Tesserion were epic. And Aegon II reappearance and capture of Dragon stone was one of the most awesome moments in the book.

Did anyone else root for the greens by the end? And if so, what point did you turn on the Blacks (if you ever supported them.) For me, its the Nettles and lord Mooton incident.

I went into it feeling I'd be more on the side of the Blacks than the Greens. The Blacks had the legal claim, the Blacks were who Viserys wanted to suceed, the only reason the Greens were in the running was because they had the muscle behind them, which I didn't find a very compelling argument.

But by the end of it, I kind of loathed both sides. They were all so venal and corrupt, and just came off as pricks. I felt sorry for all the poor small folk dragged into the pointless battles like the Fishfeed. I felt sorry for the people of the Riverlands who were burnt to death by Vhagar because Prince Aemond was an unstable lunatic. There wasn't even anybody as decent as Ned or Davos that I could get behind who I got a sense actually gave a shit about people's suffering (the Sea Snake came closest I suppose).

Ultimately it just made me depressed about feudal politics and dragons, and question the idea that character X sitting the Iron Throne at the end of ASOIAF is going to mean a return to stability or peace. It convinced me that Westeros needs deep structural change.

I never got to like Daemon, his child murder and abandoning of his family did not warm me to him. It was Aemond that killed Rhaenyra's son. I hold it more against the blacks because daemon as lord proctor was their leader. AND Rhaenyra's self destruction threw me to the second. Though after they died I started to root for Dragonsbane, be it I root under dogs. And Addam Velaryron and the runny was awesome so they get points back. Over all I wished baby Aegon and Jaeheara had kids, so everyone won and lost.

Aemond had likeable moments? Like what?

Also, why did the Two Betrayals make you lean towards the Greens? The Sack of Tumbleton was particularly savage and the two traitors were largely responsible. I dont understand why this would make you root for the Greens

Aemond had likeable moments? Like what?

Also, why did the Two Betrayals make you lean towards the Greens? The Sack of Tumbleton was particularly savage and the two traitors were largely responsible. I dont understand why this would make you root for the Greens

Firstly, the two betrayers were hated by the greens because of the sack and there ridiculous ambitions. so you shouldn't really lump them together. Aemond did do evil things and i'm not even try to defend those horrific things. But to me, it seemed that Alys Rivers was slowly turning him, and by the time of his battle with Daemon he seemed as sick and tired of the slaughter as Daemon. I suspect that both of them wouldn't have cared that they're going to die.

Fuck NO!

The Black were total badasses. Rhaenyra was kinda crazy, still though.... "A bad, bad bitch!"

Princess Rhaenys:

Princess Rhaenys made no attempt to flee. With a glad cry and a crack of her whip, she turned Meleys towards her foe. [...]Beloved daughter of Lady Jocelyn Baratheon and Prince Aemon Targaryen, faithful wife of Lord Corlys Velaryon, mother and grandmother, :bowdown: the Queen Who Never Was :bowdown: lived fearlessly, and died amidst blood and fire.

Nope, Blacks all the way, if only because the Greens had Aemond. Disliked him ever since he deliberately murdered his much younger cousin and knowingly turned a scramble for allies into a bloody civil war.

Also, whatshisname, the Kingmaker came off as the worst kind of spurned lover.

Even i admit that averaged out, the Blacks had far more badasses ( Daemon is greater than half of the Greens leaders.)

However, i think that by the end Rhaenyra went absolutely cersei levels of craziness and stupidity. I can accept that she was certainly maddened by grief, yet it seems to me that this desire for revenge, combined with her inflexibility and ( by the end) lack of common touch alienated virtually everyone who supported her. ( Admittedly, Matilda in the real-life Anarchy did a similar thing and was chased out of London as a result.) It is because of this, that i lost all hope in the Blacks, since although hot-headed and inflexible Aegon II, without Aemond and Criston Cole it is likely that wiser heads who are loyal to him will prevail.

I went into it feeling I'd be more on the side of the Blacks than the Greens. The Blacks had the legal claim, the Blacks were who Viserys wanted to suceed, the only reason the Greens were in the running was because they had the muscle behind them, which I didn't find a very compelling argument.

But by the end of it, I kind of loathed both sides. They were all so venal and corrupt, and just came off as pricks. I felt sorry for all the poor small folk dragged into the pointless battles like the Fishfeed. I felt sorry for the people of the Riverlands who were burnt to death by Vhagar because Prince Aemond was an unstable lunatic. There wasn't even anybody as decent as Ned or Davos that I could get behind who I got a sense actually gave a shit about people's suffering (the Sea Snake came closest I suppose).

Ultimately it just made me depressed about feudal politics and dragons, and question the idea that character X sitting the Iron Throne at the end of ASOIAF is going to mean a return to stability or peace. It convinced me that Westeros needs deep structural change.

This was also my take. I went into it rooting for Rhaenyra, even though I knew she would lose, because I think she really did have the rightful claim and Alicent really did try to steal it from her. But by the end, even though there were people on both sides worth admiring (Daemon, Rhaenys and Daeron, off the top of my head), both Aegon III and Rhaenyra came off as absolutely terrible. Both sides sucked, in the end, and frankly the country didn't deserve being inflicted with either. I felt sorry for all the lesser nobles and commonfolk who had to die, the innocent Targaryen children who got dragged into it and, yeah, the dragons.

I was on the Blacks side initially, by the end of the story... fuck Targaryens in general.

This in a nutshell.

I supported the Blacks but by the end of the story I was more a supporter of certain characters (Rhaenys, Daemon despite Blood and Cheese, Roddy the Ruin, Nettles,) rather than a supporter of the Blacks in general. I agree with the poster who said fuck the Targs. I have a hard time thinking they were very good for the kingdom after reading about the Dance of Dragons and the Blackfyre Rebellion.

I never rooted for the greens given they had the most jerks. Alicent was working to steal her stepdaughter's throne against her late husband's wishes, and she showed how much she cared for her husband by leaving his body and letting it rot for days. Aemond was the Aerion Brightflame of his generation, and Aegon II was petulant boy despite his age. Criston Cole was the soul of chivalry when he murdered the Master of Coin, brutally sacked Duskendale, and butchered the smallfolk at Rook's Rest.

I leaned towards the blacks and Rhaenrya since she was her father's designated heir and Daemon. Although, she proved to be a paranoid and ineffective ruler, and I didn't forgive Daemon for the Blood and Cheese incident.

In the end, I only ended up rooting for the blacks in the form of Aegon and Viserys, screw their mom.

Most characters on the Blacks were more likable(hate Daemon despite his popularity), but screw both sides.

I don't like the Hightowers. Now they will be the primary supporters of fAegon and the Realm will bleed again.

Not the Hightowers fault that Dany will want to usurp the throne from her nephew.

Archived