Tywin knew about the Aegon switch

TheOldWolf

I'm new to the forum and am 14 and a huge fan of the books and had an interesting theory

We know that it is possible Aegon was switched with the piss water prince by Varys to preserve the Targaryen dynasty.

Is it possible that Tywin was in on the plot and ordered Ser Gregor to make the body of the "fake Aegon" unable to be identified as the real Aegon, so that he may one day support Aegon to take back his throne. We know that Tywin is not one to be on the losing side so he could've thought that one Aegon would try to reclaim the Iron Throne. We also know that Tywin is ruthless and is always trying to put the Lannisters at the top, therefore Tywin could've switched Aegon and then one day support his claim and then be rewarded.

Let me know what you think of this

Thanks, Sam

Welcome to the forums :cheers: and no I dont think Tywin wouldve done this because he wouldnt have seen as logical because the Targareyns were defeated and had no loyalty or affection toward them, in fact he probably had a negative view of them because he was Aerys Hand for twenty years and left on bad terms and called him a mad mad on numerus occasions.

I'm new to the forum and am 14 and a huge fan of the books and had an interesting theory

We know that it is possible Aegon was switched with the piss water prince by Varys to preserve the Targaryen dynasty.

Is it possible that Tywin was in on the plot and ordered Ser Gregor to make the body of the "fake Aegon" unable to be identified as the real Aegon, so that he may one day support Aegon to take back his throne. We know that Tywin is not one to be on the losing side so he could've thought that one Aegon would try to reclaim the Iron Throne. We also know that Tywin is ruthless and is always trying to put the Lannisters at the top, therefore Tywin could've switched Aegon and then one day support his claim and then be rewarded.

Thanks, Sam

Also there is simply no evidence or foreshadowing.

Welcome to the forums!

Tywin got his daughter married to a king and his grandchildren on the Iron Throne by killing the Targaeryen children. What could Aegon have possibly offered Tywin to not only beat that arrangement but also offset the rather extreme risks he'd take by doublecrossing the Baratheons?

Also, the babyswitching scheme is, IMO, logically hogwash, hence I doubt such a scheme actually took place. For alternative explanations search for threads labelled "Aegon" and "Blackfyre".

Not at all, Tywin doesnt give a fuck about the Targaryens, he cares about Tywin.

I strongly disagree. Tywin cares about the Lannisters. Doesn't he always ramble about his family's legacy?

Back to topic, I also don't think, he knew about the swap. It would not be consistent with his character, and, as already stated, there is no foreshaodowing in that direction.

I strongly disagree. Tywin cares about the Lannisters. Doesn't he always ramble about his family's legacy?

Back to topic, I also don't think, he knew about the swap. It would not be consistent with his character, and, as already stated, there is no foreshaodowing in that direction.

The family legacy is really only integral to how Tywin views himself. He doesnt even love his children there more or less pieces in his games. He scorns Tyrion despite his status as a Lannister until he proved himself somewhat useful. The family legacy is really the Tywin legacy.

Great minds man. Also your user name is badass

Thanks. Worked hard on it.

Well yes and no, he cares about his version of Lannisters, which is basically him.

The family legacy is really only integral to how Tywin views himself. He doesnt even love his children there more or less pieces in his games. He scorns Tyrion despite his status as a Lannister until he proved himself somewhat useful. The family legacy is really the Tywin legacy.

Indeed, Tywin goes to war for Tyrion, not because he loves him but because he could not be perceived to look weak allowing his son to be taken, thus making the Lannister name look weak.

Thanks, Sam

I very much doubt that Tywin was in on it, but sometimes wonder who Gregor really takes orders from.

For example, killing Ser Hugh of the Vale at the tournament, just before Ned could get information from him was just too much of a coincidence don't you think?

Varys as Rugen was in charge of the black cells, which was where Jaquen, Biter and Rorge were gleaned. These nasty dudes ended up working in a pretty similar way to Gregor - that is, sowing general chaos and fear with no obvious purpose. But what if their purpose was actually very specific - prepare the ground for Varys's wonder prince Aegon by making him seem like the answer to the horrors that came before.

In this context, Gregor taking cues from Varys would basically mean Varys himself ordered the baby to be mutilated.

In this context, Gregor taking cues from Varys would basically mean Varys himself ordered the baby to be mutilated.

I think Gregor isn't the kind of guy you let in on complex plans, details or reasoning. You just give him a general outline of what has to be done and he does it.

Thanks, Sam

Welcome to the forums! If Tywin's daughter hadn't married the new king (and Cersei being queen was always his plan) this would be workable. As it is, I don't see Tywin being involved in something that would ruin his family's claim to power.

Not a bad thought, very creative, just also very unlikely given what we know of how things went.

I think Gregor isn't the kind of guy you let in on complex plans, details or reasoning. You just give him a general outline of what has to be done and he does it.

Yeah it is not a theory I am strongly committed to.

It is just the Ser Hugh thing.....way too convenient.

Archived