Stannis' interest in naval battles, ships & Co.

The Onion Sleight

Where do you think does Stannis' talent for and interest in naval stuff come from?
I mean, It really fits to him, naval commanding has by far more to do with strategy, tactic, and so on (you know, "stannis-y" things) than single-combat sword fights have, a.s.o. (you know, "robert-y" things).
I could imagine that maybe even as child he liked having at least one (in his view) thing, or discipline / interest, in which he could overtrump Robert, when / once they were grown up.

But then, at the ages of 13 and 14 their parents died - because of a ship accident. We know, how much this affected him, but not in e.g. being afraid of / avoiding ships in the future or something like that (y'know, like other people (today) whose family died e.g. by a car cash and are then afraid of car driving).
Again, it fits to him, that teenager-Stan blamed the gods, lost the belief in justice coming from gods, was angry and bitter, but I guess, still thought absolutely rationally about sailing and ships, and the risks which consits and that there’s a reason why the Shipbreaker Bay is called by this name.

What are your thoughts?
He's one Westeros' best naval commanders, had great victories at sea (For me definitely the biggest: Beating Victarion and the Greyjoy fleet! How good do you have to be to beat Greyjoys in a naval battle?!), was many years Master of Ships,...

Did that come with his growing experiences and successes, his postition and duties as MoS, and life on an island, or do you think maybe he was even as a kid interested in naval battles and ships (despite seeing his parents' ship sinking and them dying)?

(I actually could well imagine Li'l Robert playing and fighting with his wood swords -and beating Stannis all the time- and Li'l Stannis "playing" (he wouldn't call it playing ;-) with some sort of painted table-miniature version, pushing around ship figures, planning battles, learning from Maester Cressen about the strength of every house... ^_^ )

I think his superior naval command comes from his appointment to Master of Ships. When he got that job, he probably saw it as his duty to learn everything he could and become the best MoS possible. Maybe he got the job because he was especially interested in ships, but his superiority is, in my opinion, the result of his great sense of duty.

I think his superior naval command comes from his appointment to Master of Ships. When he got that job, he probably saw it as his duty to learn everything he could and become the best MoS possible. Maybe he got the job because he was especially interested in ships, but his superiority is, in my opinion, the result of his great sense of duty.

No, ships were interested in him.

I always wondered what qualified him for that position. His only military deployment was the siege before being ordered to take Dragonstone with the new fleet immediately after that. Do Baratheons have some overall naval experience because their waters are so wild? What did Robert make to give the fleet to Stannis?

I always wondered what qualified him for that position. His only military deployment was the siege before being ordered to take Dragonstone with the new fleet immediately after that. Do Baratheons have some overall naval experience because their waters are so wild? What did Robert make to give the fleet to Stannis?

The ships would only obey Stannis.

The Stormlands is bordered along the Narrow Sea, so I think most of the Houses in the region would have a history in maritime travel, trade, warfare, etc. I don't think it was said exactly, but Storm's End seems to have been built alongside the coast. Stannis did mention that could see the Mace Tyrell feasting from the battlements during the siege.

I have this head canon where Stannis, as a boy, might have developed an interest in naval affairs because Steffon might have been the Master of Ships (It seems likely that he was apart of Aerys's council). He probably decided that since he couldn't be Lord of Storms's End, wouldn't make a good knight, might not want to spend his life as a Maester, he then turned to a potential future as Master of Ships, like dad. IDK just my head canon.

Where do you think does Stannis' talent for and interest in naval stuff come from?

I mean, It really fits to him, naval commanding has by far more to do with strategy, tactic, and so on (you know, "stannis-y" things) than single-combat sword fights have, a.s.o. (you know, "robert-y" things).

I could imagine that maybe even as child he liked having at least one (in his view) thing, or discipline / interest, in which he could overtrump Robert, when / once they were grown up.

But then, at the ages of 13 and 14 their parents died - because of a ship accident. We know, how much this affected him, but not in e.g. being afraid of / avoiding ships in the future or something like that (y'know, like other people (today) whose family died e.g. by a car cash and are then afraid of car driving).

Again, it fits to him, that teenager-Stan blamed the gods, lost the belief in justice coming from gods, was angry and bitter, but I guess, still thought absolutely rationally about sailing and ships, and the risks which consits and that there’s a reason why the Shipbreaker Bay is called by this name.

What are your thoughts?

He's one Westeros' best naval commanders, had great victories at sea (For me definitely the biggest: Beating Victarion and the Greyjoy fleet! How good do you have to be to beat Greyjoys in a naval battle?!), was many years Master of Ships,...

Did that come with his growing experiences and successes, his postition and duties as MoS, and life on an island, or do you think maybe he was even as a kid interested in naval battles and ships (despite seeing his parents' ship sinking and them dying)?

(I actually could well imagine Li'l Robert playing and fighting with his wood swords -and beating Stannis all the time- and Li'l Stannis "playing" (he wouldn't call it playing ;-) with some sort of painted table-miniature version, pushing around ship figures, planning battles, learning from Maester Cressen about the strength of every house... ^_^ )

In all seriousness OP as respect to you, I believe that Stannis's success at sea is due in large part to Storms End being by the sea and Robert making him Master of Ships essentially making him Admiral of the Narrow Sea (what Davos is now) he had this position for nearly twenty years so he got alot of hours in sailing and learning the different techniques that are involved.

Stannis doesn't fight naval battles, the enemy ships just sink themselves instead of facing Stannis.

No, ships were interested in him.

The ships would only obey Stannis.

Robert: *steers the rudder* Come on you SoB

Ship: Go fuck yourself.

Stannis: Let me try.

Ship: Fuck yeah, Stannis FTW!

nuff said, FTW :cheers: :commie:

Well, I guess his position in the very centre of the "circle' gave him a prime opportunity to impart snippets of Stannis-inspired wisdom to the junior members of his cult?

Yes of course he guides us all. And on a side note to think our Stannis is trying to save your precious Northmen and Starks...sigh

Archived