The modern day our worldly equivalent of the great houses of ASoIaF

Parizad

I would say that Braavos is based on Amsterdam. There are lot of canals in Amsterdam it is quite famous for it and most of the water in it is nasty just like in Braavos.

No Amsterdam is more like Lys

The Reach I think is based on France (good wine and chivalry).

Volantys is Constantinople (trading city and naval power with a lot of land around it dreaming of reforming the Valyrian (Roman) Empire which they are descended from.

Braavos is quite obviously based on Venice

I agree with Dorne=Medieval Spain (although a much nicer place to live all told).

Ghis seems like Ancient Egypt

Yi Ti is China

Quarth may be Baghdad although I'm not sure

The Vale as Switzerland is a good analogy (although way more influential and bigger)

Iron Men are Vikings, Dothraki are Mongols

The Reach I think is based on France (good wine and chivalry).

Volantys is Constantinople (trading city and naval power with a lot of land around it dreaming of reforming the Valyrian (Roman) Empire which they are descended from.

Braavos is quite obviously based on Venice

I agree with Dorne=Medieval Spain (although a much nicer place to live all told).

Ghis seems like Ancient Egypt

Yi Ti is China

Quarth may be Baghdad although I'm not sure

The Vale as Switzerland is a good analogy (although way more influential and bigger)

Iron Men are Vikings, Dothraki are Mongols

Reach = France Good one!

Braavos = Venice No no no why???

Dothraki = Mongols Another good one

I was hoping to find modern political families in this thread. Was eagerly looking forward to seeing which house the Kennedys would be. Disappointed. :frown5:

As to companies I put forth the following options for the Tullys: Van de Kamps; Mrs. Pauls; Starkist.

Baratheons: Germany

They started a war, they messed up terribly. All Baratheons

haha, I'm german and the Baratheons are by far my favourite House :laugh:... but that doesn't sound much like a compliment (neither for Germans nor Baratheons) <_<...

When it come to comparing countries, I still think that's the best Westeros/Europe Map: http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/03/27/game_of_thornes_are_the_kingdoms_of_westeros_inspired_by_real_life_countries.html

Archived