2013 British Science Fiction Association (BSFA) Award Winners

AncalagonTheBlack

The British Science Fiction Association announced the winners for their annual BSFA Awards at Satellite EasterCon today in Glasgow, Scotland.

Best Novel

• Tie Winner: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit)
  • Tie Winner: Ack-Ack Macaque by Gareth L. Powell (Solaris)
  • God’s War by Kameron Hurley (Del Rey)
  • Evening's Empires by Paul McAuley (Gollancz)
  • The Adjacent by Christopher Priest (Gollancz)

Best Short Fiction

• Winner: “Spin” by Nina Allan (TTA Press)
  • “Selkie Stories are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons)
  • “Saga’s Children” by E.J. Swift (The Lowest Heaven, Pandemonium)
  • “Boat in the Shadows Crossing” by Tori Truslow (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)

Best Artwork

Best Non-Fiction

Ack-Ack Macaque?

What the hell?

I'd never heard of it either. The blurb for it on Goodreads suggests the plot may be as bizarre as the title:

In 1944, as waves of German ninjas parachute into Kent, Britain's best hopes for victory lie with a Spitfire pilot codenamed 'Ack-Ack Macaque'. The trouble is, Ack-Ack Macaque is a cynical, one-eyed, cigar-chomping monkey, and he's starting to doubt everything, including his own existence. A century later, in a world where France and Great Britain merged in the late 1950s and nuclear-powered Zeppelins encircle the globe, ex-journalist Victoria Valois finds herself drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the man who butchered her husband and stole her electronic soul. Meanwhile, in Paris, after taking part in an illegal break-in at a research laboratory, the heir to the British throne goes on the run. And all the while, the doomsday clock ticks towards Armageddon.

A lot of these are £2.99 on amazon uk at the moment. I may give a few of them a try. I'm on the fence about Ancilliary justice, I like the concept but all anyone ever talks about is the gender neutrality - I'm not sure if I want to read a book just about that. To be fair I don't think it is just about that but that seems to be what 90% of the discussion is about it,

I keep seeing ack-ack macaque displayed prominently in my local forbidden planet. I thought it was just in the vein of "pride and prejudice with zombies"?

I think the discussion about gender in Ancillary Justice is overstated, personally. I'm really not sure why everyone gravitated to it quite so much. Not that it isn't good, but it's not even the most interesting aspect of the book, to my mind.

I think the discussion about gender in Ancillary Justice is overstated, personally. I'm really not sure why everyone gravitated to it quite so much. Not that it isn't good, but it's not even the most interesting aspect of the book, to my mind.

That's promising. I guess it's a bit like how there was an obsession with hand gestures in "the long price" series but when I read it,it was a minor thing,

Yeah I loved Ancillary Justice but I didn't even know people were making a big deal of the "gender issue" til after. It's really just a tiny piece of the story.

Hah, I love the hand gestures in Long Price. Very Greek.

Amazon uk has put the price back up (probably because it won). I find it hard to buy something once I know it was possible to get it cheaper. Will wait until it's on offer again.

Yeah I loved Ancillary Justice but I didn't even know people were making a big deal of the "gender issue" til after. It's really just a tiny piece of the story.

Hah, I love the hand gestures in Long Price. Very Greek.

I think the gender neutrality in AJ or the poses in LP are more part of the world-building than part of the story itself, if you took either of them out then they'd barely change the plot.

Archived