How well will the Unsullied do in Westeros?

Caezaire

The Unsullied are more known for their decipline and obedience and endurance. Plus, with Ser Barristan and Lord Captain Victarion trining them they could be passable.

The problem with Westeros is the fact that there are too many factions currently fighting for the Iron Throne. The people are conflicted and so are the armies. A deciplined army might have a slight edge in this case. Also, the dragons. I can practically visualise people dropping all their weapons and running away if they should see three dragons soaring the skies ready to roast them in their armours.

That said, I don't think one should undermine the Unsullied ><

Lousy. Their training and tactics was already outdated 350 BC. Westerosi armies are somewhere between 1300 and 1500 AC. The results are obvious and painfully one-sided.

What's stopping the unsullied from wearing armor? Only the dumbest commander will pit unarmored soldiers against armored ones. The wildlings are practically smashed by Stannis despite their overwhelming numbers.

And where to get it? Furthermore, it doesn't change the tactics and training part.

Unsullied, supported on the flanks by Bloodriders and Storm Crows cavalry, would have done quite well imo. The Second Sons could have acted as a reserve to fill any breaches as well. Big army's are not very commonplace in Westeros.

Actually, most Westerosi armies number about 20,000 men.

They're the most obedient soldiers in the known world. They will fight until they are commanded to stop. On its own this would not be enough, but combined with a khalasar (which could potentially outnumber any of the Westerosi armies if Dany is the stallion who mounts the world) and a dragon or three, it's going to be a huge advantage.

I think if/when Dany arrives in Westeros the unsullied will be changed by Baristan and turned into a force to be respected. In their current state the unsullied they would be decimated by the army from Westeros and Barristan knows this so he is likely to improve it before the end of the series. Also, when it comes to Dany's image Barristan will help. Tywin respected Barristan and said that he was well respected. Word would of got out that he went to find the 'true' king and if he returns with Dany then a lot of Lords could be swayed to join her. This plus the newly reformed unsullied I expect would be a scary force, even without the Dragons at Danys' disposal.

I'd say she's a military problem too. Bar using her dragons, her so called "host" is what amounts to a sword made of rubber. The Dothraki are her only viable fighting force, and even they aren't really designed for pitched battle meaning that if she doesn't get some actually useful troops she'll lose every battle presented upon her.

Dothraki, are fonder against anyone with a okay weapon and shield.

Barristan is training them. At some point, he will suggest armors when they land in Westeros.

Barristan is training like seven knights, the unsullied themselves are training the rest of her army.

They're immune to pain and probably stronger than your typical levy, and maybe comparable to a man-at-arms.

They do nothing but train and assumedly they're stronger than everage to make it through the training.

I see nowhere is it claimed they are stronger than average or immune to pain. Thier training gives them more endurance and more tolerance for pain. But thier lack of testosterone will be a handicap in dealing with fully armoured knights.

obviously we can't draw direct parallels 100% between the greek hoplites of antiquity and the unsullied this is a fantasy story. but being completely honest medieval armies >classical armies. that aside, lets look at some of their strengths that might make them the exception over greek phalanxes.

the greatest asset the unsullied bring to battle is they don't route, they don't break, they fight till the last man. this is extremely valuable as they can form a battle line with which to hold the enemy in place. the unsullied, being a [halanx could not likely win many battles on their own because they can't force or press an issue, but they can hold until relieved. if the unsullied are paired up with dothraki and sellsword cavalry, then that would make for a much more potent force than just unsullied alone. classic alexander hammer and anvil just waiting to happen.

obviously we can't draw direct parallels 100% between the greek hoplites of antiquity and the unsullied this is a fantasy story. but being completely honest medieval armies >classical armies. that aside, lets look at some of their strengths that might make them the exception over greek phalanxes.

the greatest asset the unsullied bring to battle is they don't route, they don't break, they fight till the last man. this is extremely valuable as they can form a battle line with which to hold the enemy in place. the unsullied, being a [halanx could not likely win many battles on their own because they can't force or press an issue, but they can hold until relieved. if the unsullied are paired up with dothraki and sellsword cavalry, then that would make for a much more potent force than just unsullied alone. classic alexander hammer and anvil just waiting to happen.

Alexander's phalanx formations had about 6 meter (dont know how many feet) long pikes, didn't they? It's said that Unsullied have very short spears, so I doubt they would make very effective macedonian phalanx.

I do agree with the logic of the general consensus in this thread but arn't they referred to as probably the best soldiers in the world? possibly by Jorah-who should be well aware of any potential limitations of the unsullied?

It might be just the tv show though. Or I might have just made it up.

I think that is just fantasy stuff. They are the only unbreakeble unit in GRRTh but aside from that, they wouldn't do very well in combat. They are designed to match the dothrakis, so only thing they really need is big shield and a spear.

It depends on where Dany Lands. Would it not be intersting, especially after Quentin's fate. that she and her forces land in Dorne to conquer them first and Arianne and her meet. We know Dany would win but would it not be interesting to say the least. The Sandsnakes, Hotah and the Darkstar. Dany might even discard Daario for him or simply add him to her male "F" team.

It depends on where the battle is fought, if Daenerys has them all together, how large the opposing force is, who commands the opposing force, what the opposing force is made out of, and if they are supported by archers and cavalry.

If all the unsullied are together they could do quite well. They would instantly be the most disciplined soldiers in Westeros and much better fighters than the levies that make up the majority of Westerosi armies. They would do extremely well if they were combined with enough arches and cavalry to make their numbers about equivalent to that of an average Westerosi field army of around 15k-25k.

Unsullied by themselves with no kind of support versus a complete westerosi army? That question makes about as much sense as asking, how would British WW2 infantrymen in general fare against the whole of Bundeswehr.

Now IMO the important thing is, that by the end of ADWD there are very few armies in Westeros, which have not been crushed in the last year or two. I can think of Dorne (of which we know very little) and then of course Tyrell.

So there is not much in way of stable disciplined and trained standing armies moving around Westeros right now.

In light of that, I think it would take only very little to turn the tide of any single probable battle in favour of Unsullied. If they are trained by Barristan, at least slightly better equipped than default, it could take as little as a single dragon or a few auxiliary units.

I agree with what has been said about them NOT being similar to a typical phalanx. I also agree with the great advantage of unbreakable morale, discipline uncomparable to anything known to men. If I remember correctly, I got a feeling of supernaturality about that in the books. And also I think people in this thread tragically underestimate their versatility by generally saying there is none.

I stand behind what I wrote above, but the OP's question being:

If Dany had landed instead of marching on Yunkai and fought a Lannister army of similar numbers, who do you think would win?

I think it would be a sad day for Unsullied. (lack of support, lack of equipment, lack of knowledge of Westerosi warfare)

Something not really addressed is that the Unsullied and the Dothraki will not be prepared for a Westerossi winter, let alone any diseases in Westeros that is unknown in Essos.

Winter and disease are likely to drain most of Dany's army before a unified army confronts them.

They also probably have to spend a lot on clothes, if they want to do anything during the Westerosi winter.

THIS

Dany and her unsullied and Dothraki and her Dragons have never even seen snow let alone had to fight in it. Winter to smash Dany and im not talking a great Stark army I mean Unsullied freezeing to death on the march to Winterfell, Dothraki mounts breaking their legs in the Snow, dragons being pummeled by blizzards.

Something not really addressed is that the Unsullied and the Dothraki will not be prepared for a Westerossi winter, let alone any diseases in Westeros that is unknown in Essos.

Winter and disease are likely to drain most of Dany's army before a unified army confronts them.

I agree.

"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."

Archived