The single stupidest action by any character ever?

Dragon's Bane

The topic pretty much explains my query, I am wondering what the worst decision of the book series was. I am leaving it to you to interpret what you constitute as the worst result (be it just for the chracter who made the decision or globally).

Two rules:

1. No hindsight bonus! Evaluate the decisions by what the characters knew at that point.*

2. No flaming! The moment there are 4 or more posts discussing a single decision, just open a new thread to discuss it.

* Example: Theon didn't know that Reek was Ramsay and would betray him. Had he known, he obviously would've done something else.

My choice: Robb marrying Jeyne. It was quite obvious that this wouldn' have any positive consequences, altough the RW was a bit more than expected.

Cersei and Jaime fucking each other and Cersei passing on Jaime's children as Robert's. Also included them choosing to fuck near sleeping Robert, and fucking at Winterfell. In short their entire affair.

You know, I think you got it. Robb didn't know Theon would turn on him and Ned didn't know and couldn't know that Robert would be gored by a boar. But the Jaime/Cersei thing was never, ever, ever going to end well. Ever.

If we take hindsight out of the equation, then Robb marrying Jeyne easily bests Jaime and Cersei's affair. The latter remained hidden for almost two decades and might have continued so if not for an unfortunate series of events as well as interested parties wanting it exposed. There was no hiding Robb's blunder; the consequences were immediate and unavoidable.

If I were to choose one of Cersei's decisions, stiffing the Iron Bank and rearming the Faith would probably top the list.

I'd have said Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling but I think Cersei refusing to repay the Iron Bank and thinking they won't care when later we find out that they're known to start wars to recover their debts tops it (Her thinking that militarizing the faith is no big deal is right up there too.)

Dany deciding to burn the slave traders and go on her campaign in Meereen. Should have just stuck to the original plan of just making a detour to purchase slaves to bolster her army that will invade Westeros.

Guest Thorrand

Ned trusting Littlefinger against his best judgement. Is that a hindsight issue? I'm thinking not because he had to know it was a bad idea while agreeing to do it.

Ned trusting Littlefinger against his best judgement. Is that a hindsight issue? I'm thinking not because he had to know it was a bad idea while agreeing to do it.

He did know it wasn't a good idea, and he knew he shouldn't trust Littlefinger, but at that point he pretty much had no other options, since he had so few men and turned down Renly's offer.

Archived