Dragons vs White Walkers: Is Ice a threat to Fire?

The Sea Snake

Okay many times we have read how fire would kill a wright, and possibly WW as well. So Dragons are pretty much guaranteed to be an excellent tool to fight them.

But could The Others have weapons to fight Dragons too? I mean, we know absolutely nothing about their power. But we do get the feeling that they have powerful ice magic. Perhaps Ice is the best way to kill a dragon - who knows?

I'd love to see that they can somehow fight them, and have a worthy showdown.

What do people think?

Okay many times we have read how fire would kill a wright, and possibly WW as well. So Dragons are pretty much guaranteed to be an excellent tool to fight them.

But could The Others have weapons to fight Dragons too? I mean, we know absolutely nothing about their power. But we do get the feeling that they have powerful ice magic. Perhaps Ice is the best way to kill a dragon - who knows?

What do people think?

Yes, their wights, dragon from their the wights can just rush the dragons and kill it.

I don't know I get the odd feeling that the fight against the others won't be some huge awesome battle, Martin himself stated something along the lines of the others not being that big a deal once you know how to beat them.

Yes, their wights, dragon from their the wights can just rush the dragons and kill it.

The dragons would have to be grounded, and even then, their flames would stop many wights as fire removes the Others' enchantment.

As Jorah said, while a dragon can be killed, it isn't easy.

I think dragons would win.

Just imagine, three dragons flying above the army of wights and Others, engulfing them in flame.

And killing dragons isn't easy.

Unless the Others have some special Ice magic specifically to kill dragons.

Unless the Others have some special Ice magic specifically to kill dragons.

That was exactly the point of this thread! :ack:

of course that drags can wipe out an army of ice-zombie wights.

What I mean is, do you think The Others do have that type of magic? we know nothing from them I mean!

and we still don't know what "Dragonsteel" is. Thou I'm betting either obsidian or valiryan steel

I think dragons would be exceptional at fighting Wights. Wights are conventional troops sent in waves to overwhelm the enemy, and vulnerable to fire. They can't get to dragons either, so a dragon would likely make short work of them.

The Others, I'm not so sure about. They don't fight the way Wights do. They don't even show themselves to you unless they think they've got overwhelmingly superiority (which I imagine they won't ever think with a dragon in the air).

Tormund says they hide, and wait, and nibble at your edges. The Others that slaughter Waymar Royce toy with him. They have weapons which are enchanted cold and stronger than steel. Suppose they have arrowheads made of the same stuff? Could be very big trouble for a dragon. They even seem to be able to affect the very climate surrounding them, and know how to use human weapons and mounts. They seem intelligent, and opportunistic, and dangerous.

Dragons aren't good at fighting that sort of enemy; one who refuses to array his forces in open conflict. Dragons lost several wars where their enemies used guerilla tactics (Dorne). Dragons don't seem to like the rain, so I can't imagine they'd enjoy extreme cold.

Worst of all, if they ever kill a dragon, could they resurrect it to do their bidding the way they've done with horses and bears? Could we be in for the horror of an Other riding a risen dragon?

How would the dragons cope in a snow blizzard? We know that Balerion the black dread was grounded and his fires became useless in something as simple as a rainstorm(we're talking about the biggest, deadliest dragon westeros has ever seen) - so what about a snow storm? The others seem to have some control over the weather - or atleast the temperature, according to Tormund(or was it someone else??) fires will sputter and die when they are near, their weapons are strong enough to shatter castle forged steel so dragonskin shouldnt be a problem. Normal weapons melt when they come in contact with dragon blood(as we see in Meereen) but the weapons of the others might even freeze it.

Also maybe the others even use weirwood arrows - they might even worship the old gods for all we know(they certainly have not desecrated any weirwoods)..

What I mean is, do you think The Others do have that type of magic? we know nothing from them I mean!

and we still don't know what "Dragonsteel" is. Thou I'm betting either obsidian or valiryan steel

I don't think they do have any such defensive magic. It seems that they are weak to fire aspect stuff like obsidian, maybe wildfire, maybe Valyrian steel, etc.

Nope they cant. A riot in KL managed to kill plenty of dragons. The ice zombies will inflict heavy casualties(though I doubt the Others will care about losing a thousand corpses to take out one dragon), but the dragons will fall.

What do people think?

A dragon might be a decent tool against wights since they burn like tinder (so long as the dragon doesn't get jittery with the weather) but probably not an excellent tool. There are only three dragons and the Others have a fairly large supply of potential wights. If the dragon is grounded, these wights could overwhelm it. I can't imagine a fire dragon being truly useful against the Others. It seems like the very nature of the Others is a tool against dragons. A water element would presumably be in opposition to fire. It's said that fire will dismay an Other, not necessarily kill it. When we see an Other in contact with fire, he simply put the fire out. As others have mentioned, dragons have not proven to be useful against guerrilla tactics. Plus, it gets very cold when they are around and inclement weather seems to be something dragons don't care for.

danm_999 points out the possibility of a risen wight!dragon. I've wondered what sort of weapon would come out of an ice dragon's mouth and if that weapon could potentially be used against the Others. There's still the issue of who would control a wight dragon for Team Human if that were to happen and also how the wight dragon could be used against guerrilla tactics

Flames don't seem to hurt The Others only their wights. The fire Grenn held basically froze and blew out. Is dragon fire hotter? One assumes so, but both seem unnatural in their own respective fields (cold and heat). It seems only dragonglass and maybe dragonsteel can actually hurt the real deal and not their shambling zombie companions.

The dragons would have to be grounded, and even then, their flames would stop many wights as fire removes the Others' enchantment.

As Jorah said, while a dragon can be killed, it isn't easy.

Others bring storms, and they have a lot of wights.

I agree that dragons would be effective against wights. The thing about that is, there are always more wights where those came from. But kill any of the dragons, and that's it, they're gone.

The Others, like Danm suggests, are less certain. The only thing we know can kill them is obsidian. Obsidian, frozen fire, is actually a "mix" of the two, a balance. Ice and fire together, balanced, can defeat the Others, not necessarily fire alone. (And yes, I do think there's a larger point being made here; the literal blend of ice and fire being effective against Others links to the symbolic blend of ice and fire, Jon, being the one to ultimately lead their defeat.)

And that's to say nothing of the Others' guerrilla tactics and thus-far refusal to engage in open, conventional combat, as Danm also pointed out.

In the end, I think that Others and dragons might be effective against each other. In my view, they each represent the extremes of their respective elements; neither is "good," and both are equally destructive or not destructive, depending on how GRRM chooses to write it. I don't see it as a case where dragons save the day and destroy the Others; that screams wishful Disney thinking to me. If a dragon can take out an Other, an Other can take out a dragon, and vice versa.

Archived