Tywin Replacing Kevan? [Book Spoilers]

Eberc

Hear me out.

Honestly I feel that all changes to streamline the books for TV audiences are a good thing. Never be a slave to the source material I always say (the biggest failure of Sin City).

What if in GoT Tywin replaces Kevan Lannister as King Regent for Tommen? I understand that the death of Tywin is an extreme moment for Tyrion and molds his character, but wouldn't having Charles Dance continue seem a tad more believable, and easier to digest for TV viewing audiences. I just don't see TV Tyrion as a killer.

Using an already known character to fulfill an essentially identical function, dare I say it with a great deal of panache and dynamism, would serve the continuity justice. We've seen Kevan Lannister on the show maybe 3 times.

- Shae should replace Tysha as Tyrions goal in Essos

- Bronn should replace Hyle Hunt in Briennes story. I would love if Bronn is charged with protecting Podrick and they run into Brienne on the road.

Unfortunately I feel like they're building Tywin up for his inevitable death. He seemed rather taken with Ellaria at the wedding feast, I guess Tywin certainly has a type. Dark and exotic.

he's appeared before and they are probably going to re-introduce him later on when they need him (or maybe later on in season 4 so he's ready just before they need him). They could introduce in first few episodes of S5, when he rejects Cersei's offer to be hand, and then maybe he could show up again on Jaime's riverlands adventure, just to keep him fresh in people's minds and he could also fill in for some other characters whilst there, then they have had plenty of time to build him up by the end of the season. The show has never shied away from the darkest things in the books, in fact they have made them darker invariably, I cant see them skipping out on Tyrion killing Tywin.

Tywin's death isnt only informative to Tyrion's plot in the following season, it would form the backdrop for an entire season. How would Cersei come to power without Tywin? Even if she did, she would probably act completely differently without him around. The Dornish storyline as well since Doran's plans are still to kill Tywin Lannister instead of pulling down his legacy. This isnt to mention the potential storyline changes that arise pretty much everywhere as everyone is a lot less afraid of fucking with Cersei than with Tywin, so there would be a lot less in terms of rebellion

Shae replacing Tysha would completely change Tyrions storyline as well, seeing as he sent her to pentos i think it was, so there is absolutely no need for him to go anywhere when he arrives at Illyrio's because he knows where that she is in the city, whereas with Tysha he knows she is somewhere in essos, but has no clue where, so it means he can look for her whilst going to Dany.

I might be fine with Bronn replacing Hyle Hunt, but looks like he might appear in Jaime's storyline instead replacing Ilyn Payne. Either way, I would be fine with either one, I hope they still find some way to incorporate whatever it is that Bronn is doing in aFfC into the show though.

Also, how would Tyrion get out of this trial thing? Whatever happens there, it will impact on the next seasons storyline in one way or another

OP: Not a fucking chance!

On Kevan: They can easily bring him back in season 5 as the trusted brother and lieutenant Tywin left in charge of Casterly Rock and the West when he went to KL to serve as Hand. He could come to KL for Tywin's funeral, and then stay trying to reason with Cersei, eventually becoming Lord Regent after Cersei's arrest.

Tywin's death is too big a thing to keep him around.

The whole Cersei dynamic needs Tywin gone, because he is the only one she really respects.

Tyrion really needs Tywin dead for the development of his character.

Even for Jaime this would make a major difference imo.

The whole Tyrell and Dorne actions would play out extremly diffrently with him still being around.

So to me: No way.

Pycelle can do most of the stuff Kevan did, IMHO. And they could bring back Lancel for the rest, have him replace Aurane Waters (minus desertion). Show Mace is so ineffective that he could be on Cersei's council too, without impeding her much, IMHO. And there is Quyburn, as well. They keep him around and name-drop him on a regular basis.

What, with Jaime and Tywin taking on parts of Kevan's role and personality this season and Kevan never being as much as mentioned, it would make sense to just leave him out for good, IMHO. I mean, he was in a couple of episodes in season 1 and 2, very briefly, but nobody even called him by name or established on-screen that he was Tywin's brother. Nor does he have any place in the "Lannister legacy" as presented so far.

Lancel, at least, is already an established character, they'd just need to mature him up some.

In fact, if they are going to do takeover of Riverrun, they could have Lancel in charge of the Lannister army when Jaime arrives, have him hand over the command and go on to KL to take a council seat.

Tywin is absolutely going to die this season, but IMHO some combination of Pycelle, Jaime and mybe Lancel will replace Kevan. Tywin has already delivered the criticism of Cersei's parenting and ruling that Kevan did in AFFC and may have more to say before his demise.

Cersei can throw wine in Jaime's face instead of Kevan's, etc. Generally, they'd need something for Jaime to do in the next season, as the books don't offer all that much and he mainly interacts with minor characters, who are highly unlikely to appear on the show.

I agree, replacing Kevan could probably be done. The most important part about Kevan is basically his lack of being Tywin. :D

And I think this could also be achieved by some others, although I think they had him around already so there is also not much reason to replace him. But even if he is in, I wonder if some of his parts are not given to some other characters.

I think the Tywin/Tyrion story line and fallout are too critical to the remainder of Tyrion's story, and the story as a whole to monkey with it too much. I can understand Shae's arc changing, but I think Tyrion's assassination of Tywin is the action that sets a lot of things in motion.

Replacing Kevan is possible, just not by omitting a major development.

Would Cersei even be able to attempt her manipulations and false accusations with Tywin around? I don't think it would be possible or plausible.

Not gonna happen. But if they decide not to reintroduce Kevan, the likeliest candidate for his part would probably be Maester Pycelle, but I can't see any problem with bringing Kevan back in season 5, giving him a nice season-long arc before he's murdered.

Tyrion can still kill Tywin on the tv show because kinslaying is not a big deal to the tv audience and the death of a major villain at the hands of the show's main protagonist would be a rooting moment for the audience.

Kevan will probably return and be given a bigger role. He's played by a major actor so it's not unrealistic.

I just don't see TV Tyrion as a killer.

We've seen Kevan Lannister on the show maybe 3 times.

Which is exactly why he is set to kill Tywin and Shae in the climactic finale. And the lack of Kevan isn't a good justification, in my opinion. For example, we saw Dontos for 2 minutes in 2x01 and the show still used him, two seasons later.

I don't think that we will hear the story of Tysha. Tywin will kill Shae and Tyrion will kill him for revenge.

So everybody is dead and the viewers will be satisfied. Do you think that's too unrealistic?

(But I hope that Shae will reveal herself for the wh**e she really is)

Hear me out.

Honestly I feel that all changes to streamline the books for TV audiences are a good thing. Never be a slave to the source material I always say (the biggest failure of Sin City).

What if in GoT Tywin replaces Kevan Lannister as King Regent for Tommen? I understand that the death of Tywin is an extreme moment for Tyrion and molds his character, but wouldn't having Charles Dance continue seem a tad more believable, and easier to digest for TV viewing audiences. I just don't see TV Tyrion as a killer.

Using an already known character to fulfill an essentially identical function, dare I say it with a great deal of panache and dynamism, would serve the continuity justice. We've seen Kevan Lannister on the show maybe 3 times.

- Shae should replace Tysha as Tyrions goal in Essos

- Bronn should replace Hyle Hunt in Briennes story. I would love if Bronn is charged with protecting Podrick and they run into Brienne on the road.

Unfortunately I feel like they're building Tywin up for his inevitable death. He seemed rather taken with Ellaria at the wedding feast, I guess Tywin certainly has a type. Dark and exotic.

At first I thought you were trolling :L I understand why someone would assume "TV viewing audiences" are "dumber" and that the material would need to be simplified to make it easier for them to "digest". After all, the casual TV watcher probably watches each episode once and doesn't have the time she would devote to a book, if she's watching TV. But honestly, I think the idea of removing such a pivotal plot point just to make the show simpler for the audience sounds as patronising as it is stupid.

At first I thought you were trolling :L I understand why someone would assume "TV viewing audiences" are "dumber" and that the material would need to be simplified to make it easier for them to "digest". After all, the casual TV watcher probably watches each episode once and doesn't have the time she would devote to a book, if she's watching TV. But honestly, I think the idea of removing such a pivotal plot point just to make the show simpler for the audience sounds as patronising as it is stupid.

It's not about being patronizing. It's not about making things simpler. Not once did I imply TV audiences are dumber, simply making a statement on what I think would make the story more interesting because I enjoy the performance of Charles Dance. Calm your tits.

It's not really about TV audiences being dumber. I think it's more about economical storytelling. If you have multiple characters that play similar (overlapping) roles you may well decide to consolidate them into one character. It's like what they did with Ros -- instead of having like 5 different prostitute characters with minimal dialogue, they just had one fill those roles instead (and do more besides). The fact that TV viewers only had Ros while book readers had Marei and Dancy and Alayaya and Prancer and Vixen and Donner doesn't really make TV viewers dumb.

This is especially true in TV shows -- for Martin as a book author, adding a character is mostly a matter of ink on a page (pixels in a screen). For the showrunners, adding a character involves casting and paying an actor, designing and paying for wardrobes, costumes, writing dialogue...

That being said, I don't think that any of these are really good reasons to drop Kevan or to swap him for Pycelle. Pretty much Kevan's only role in the fourth and fifth books is standing up to and reigning in Cersei and the show has actually done a good job of capturing why Pycelle really isn't strong enough to do that on his own, especially after his stint in the black cells. They could choose to develop Pycelle more to make that Kevan's role consistent with the personality they've already established for him, or they could just bring back the actual Kevan character that they've already introduced in season 1 and 2.

Archived