[Book Spoilers] A change that bookreaders can get behind?

Hey, if Jaime and Brienne can show up at KL before Joffrey dies and Sansa disappears. Why can't Tyrion show up in Mereen well before Daenerys flys off?

This would be a change that fans of the books can get behind, right? Since most of us would've liked Tyrion to get to Mereen in ADWD instead of a meandering travel log.

Getting Tyrion there sooner would instantly get the audience who are sick of Dany being a completely isolated from the rest of the story instantly energized about events in Mereen and and be interested in that plot line again, and give the feeling that all the disparate plot threads are beginning to coalesce.

This would be a change that I think most book readers can get behind?

Not sure if any of us can properly comment on this change until we've read the first bit of tWoW and know what the importance of Tyrion turning up when he does in Meereen will be. Obviously, we can already see the fact that he is turning the Second Sons back over too Danaerys, but that could be done with him in Meereen.

My main worries would be that

a ) in the process of getting him to Meereen quicker, he spends too little time with (f)aegon and joncon, and that storyline doesnt get properly introduced, especially since if there going to do aDwD and aFfC in one season like they say, they would have to compress Tyrions storyline a ridiculous amount

b ) if he's in meereen after Dany flies off, then there is a good chance he will end up stealing loads of the stuff which barristan has to do, and it would feel like sacrificing a perfectly good character to give tyrion more to do, which I wouldnt be behind

Hey, if Jaime and Brienne can show up at KL before Joffrey dies and Sansa disappears. Why can't Tyrion show up in Mereen well before Daenerys flys off?

This would be a change that fans of the books can get behind, right? Since most of us would've liked Tyrion to get to Mereen in ADWD instead of a meandering travel log.

Getting Tyrion there sooner would instantly get the audience who are sick of Dany being a completely isolated from the rest of the story instantly energized about events in Mereen and and be interested in that plot line again, and give the feeling that all the disparate plot threads are beginning to coalesce.

This would be a change that I think most book readers can get behind?

I rather think Tyrion will not yet be in Meereen when Dany flys off. He's not really necessary there (especially if the should cut Penny), and a delayed arrival could manage to push the battle of Meereen further into season 6.

Combining Gendry and Edric I understand, they were pretty redundant characters who didn't do all that much.

I don't necessarily think they're redundant. Having Roberts bastards running around makes the series a lot more interesting for me, because even if they ultimately do nothing at all, their mere existence makes me wonder and makes the game of thrones seem more complex with more possible outcomes.

It's sort of like the stupid argument that Aegon is a pointless addition to the series if he's just destined to die before he can take the throne. His presence alone makes the series more complex and entertaining.

I rather think Tyrion will not yet be in Meereen when Dany flys off. He's not really necessary there (especially if the should cut Penny), and a delayed arrival could manage to push the battle of Meereen further into season 6.

Of course he's not necessary there, was Arya/Tywin necessary? Was Jaime and Brienne getting to KL before the PW necessary. None of this is necessary. But this would give a chance for early Dany/Tyrion interaction that show fans(and books fans) have been waiting for since book 1. With the number of people frustrated by Dany's lack of progress toward Westeros, it might be in the show runners interest to get Westeros to Dany quicker.-

wynaut.

But seriously, i dont want Tyrion meeting Dany before she flies off with Drogon. Like, i got no beef with him showing up in Meereen prior to that and getting a good feel for the situation and hey, maybe even a meeting with Barristan. But i think a Tyrion/Dany interaction is just too juicy and should be saved for when we get more details from the next book.

I would definitely like it if Tyrion got to wander in Meereen at least a little bit. One thing I didn't like about the book was that Meereen the city felt like a paper cutout compared to King's Landing. Daenerys remained in the throne room for nearly all of the book so we never got to see the rest of the city except in passing. It would be nice to have a character just walk around the city and let us get a feel for why anyone cares for the city.

This won't happen until probably sometime in May of next year, who's to say TWOW isn't released by then?

Dude. I need the Shy Maid Adventures Of Wacky Wayside Weirdness in the show. I need it. Id rather they not completely rush Tyrion into Meereen. Him showing up like mid to late season 5 would work, but no earlier.

I don't see them dropping the Aegon story as without him Varys has no plot nor any reason to kill Pycelle and Kevan. I can see them just making him a true Targ though to simplify it slightly.
I hope for some enlightening scenes with Illyrio in Pentos and then with JonCon and Aegon on the boat. I would hope to see Tyrion get to Mereen around the end of season 5.
I don't think the battle of Mereen needs to be in season 5 as there is already plenty of action with the Battle of Winterfell and the storming of Griffon's Roost (or Storm's End if the show decides to simplify this).

I don't see them dropping the Aegon story as without him Varys has no plot nor any reason to kill Pycelle and Kevan. I can see them just making him a true Targ though to simplify it slightly.

I hope for some enlightening scenes with Illyrio in Pentos and then with JonCon and Aegon on the boat. I would hope to see Tyrion get to Mereen around the end of season 5.

I don't think the battle of Mereen needs to be in season 5 as there is already plenty of action with the Battle of Winterfell and the storming of Griffon's Roost (or Storm's End if the show decides to simplify this).

That's not "simplifying it slightly", that would be a crucial/huge change.

Then again, the show is changing characters who despise rape into rapists and characters who despise hypocrisy into hypocrites, so whatever.

That's not "simplifying it slightly", that would be a crucial/huge change.

Then again, the show is changing characters who despise rape into rapists and characters who despise hypocrisy into hypocrites, so whatever.

They have already name-dropped the Golden Company, they are clearly not cutting Aegon. And as for the rape thing, both the actors and the director confirmed that they intended to make the scene look consensual in the end... clearly that didn't work well, for whatever reason, but the problem was that of execution rather than intent. Who is the hypocrite in the show?

They have already name-dropped the Golden Company, they are clearly not cutting Aegon. And as for the rape thing, both the actors and the director confirmed that they intended to make the scene look consensual in the end... clearly that didn't work well, for whatever reason, but the problem was that of execution rather than intent. Who is the hypocrite in the show?

I guess...Sandor, maybe?

Regarding the OP, yes, please. I would so get behind this.

And also, a bit off-topic, but I think Dany flying away with Drogon and being AWOL for several episodes could bring a new and fresh dynamic to Meereen, with Barristan as the focus. Like, non-readers are in love with Dany and all that, but I think they'll also appreciate some Essos scenes without her

only if they get rid of the whole slave part

No wai! "And one!" Lady MUST happen! We can skip the Yellow Whale for the most part and just have Jorah steal Tyrion from the auction block or something. I dunno.

Stavos going to Braavos is interesting

Yiss. I kinda cant wait for that. One of those weirdass changes that im pretty damn cool with.

Don't skip The Sorrows. Whatever you do, don't skip The Sorrows.

So much.

If they want to cut some stuff a lot of readers seem to think of as fat, Tyrion's journey seems to be a prime target. At the beginning of S5, instead of arriving in Pentos, he arrives in Myr, and takes a series of ships directly to Meereen, hooking up with Ser Jorah in Volantis. The whole journey might be done in as little as four scenes, though with Tyrion being a major focus, he can probably be pressed for as many as two scenes an episode, skipping a week or so at a time.

Personally, I would like to keep the Rhoyne part of the journey, as it adds flavor to the world. Fantasy is a genre where the setting plays a big part of the story, and often receives more focus and description than historical fiction it may resemble.

Archived