A falcon knight, or clansman?

Wmarshal

In the dispute between the Vale men and their kingdommates the clansmen, who do side with?

I am with the falcon knights, I find the clansmen butchers who do nothing but assault the weak, but that is me.

The knights of the Vale of course, the clansmen are scum, they rape and pillage but then cower in fear when fighting men ride by, unless the fighting men are in such small number they think they can overwhelm, and even then they probably fail.

The knights of the Vale of course, the clansmen are scum, they rape and pillage but then cower in fear when fighting men ride by, unless the fighting men are in such small number they think they can overwhelm, and even then they probably fail.

Didn't Bronn beat a whole group solo?

The clansmen are just bandits with no redeeming qualities besides Shagga, son of Dolf being amusing.

seeing as how he is living in the KW now, I think we can mark off as a Vale clansmen.

I'm with the Clansmen, mostly. As a Swiss, the parallel to the Swiss-Austrian relations of the middle ages is too hard to unsee :P

More to the point though, while the Clans are barbarians, th knights of the Vale are hardly better. The Clansmen may rape and plunder, but the Knights of the Vale likewise include rape enabler Baelish and pederast Corbray. They are no less barbaric than the clansmen they hate.

I side with the Clansmen. Besides what theguyfromtheVale and Asha's Suckling Babe have said, I think we should take into account that the Clansmen are the original inhabitants of the Vale. They lived in peace before the Andals pushed them up into the Mountains. And now they are forced to live a meager existence up in the cold and harsh mountains (IIRC Tyrion noted on how scrawny and underfed the Clan Warriors were), no wonder that they have to raid to stay alive.

I side with the Clansmen. Besides what theguyfromtheVale and Asha's Suckling Babe have said, I think we should take into account that the Clansmen are the original inhabitants of the Vale. They lived in peace before the Andals pushed them up into the Mountains. And now they are forced to live a meager existence up in the cold and harsh mountains (IIRC Tyrion noted on how scrawny and underfed the Clan Warriors were), no wonder that they have to raid to stay alive.

Eh, while I'm generally with you, I don't think that argument goes anywhere, ever. "Who was here first" only serves to keep old wounds open and make compromise impossible. Also, that kind of thing just shouldn't matter to current time clansmen or Vale knights. They have to make with what they have.

I´m on the Mountain clans side. They were pushed away from their lands in the vale and up in the harsh mountains during the Andal invasion.

Besides i find the knights of the Vale very arrogant. Tyrion managed to convince the tribes to fight for him easly while the Vale have been troubled by the clansmen for god knows how long.

Eh, while I'm generally with you, I don't think that argument goes anywhere, ever. "Who was here first" only serves to keep old wounds open and make compromise impossible. Also, that kind of thing just shouldn't matter to current time clansmen or Vale knights. They have to make with what they have.

It's not as if the Clansmen had a choice. If they wanted to remain free (and alive) to follow their culture, they had to go up in the Mountains. And the Mountains don't offer anything, so they do what they must for survival.

I am from a small country myself and we have been pushed around quite a lot, but still going with the knights, as assimilation can work wonders. Furthermore no matter what they still rape and pillage, which reminds me of today's blind nationalism, especially in smaller countries, that cling to any tradition no matter how outdated it is.

It's not as if the Clansmen had a choice. If they wanted to remain free (and alive) to follow their culture, they had to go up in the Mountains. And the Mountains don't offer anything, so they do what they must for survival.

Oh, I agree. It's just that blaming the current clansmen or the current knights of the Vale for the crimes of their forefathers is futile ;)

Oh, I agree. It's just that blaming the current clansmen or the current knights of the Vale for the crimes of their forefathers is futile ;)

It's futile on a personal level, but I do think that a bit of historic understanding would do wonders for that conflict. In any case it's the knights of the Vale that need to give concessions. If they don't want incursions by the Clans, they should share the bounties of the Vale.

they don't want incursions by the Clans, they should share the bounties of the Vale.

Or, and while that would be shit, granted, they should just have completely conquered them and integrated them so they can have lands and holdings on their own.

Archived