What do you think of this argument that I found for why Dany isn't a good ruler?

They'll probably think Dany is the fake, which would be hilariously ironic (would it be? I've never grasped how to use the word ironic rightly.)

That would definitely count as ironic, especially since everyone who was up to date on her situation is basically out of the picture.

An Aegon who actively starts to attack them is at least more real to them as a hypothetical Dany who, well, isn't attacking them atm.

I for one think that if she has to use the dragons to convince anyone, would cheapen her story extremely as she would just win the kingdom by fear not what she was built up to so far.

Someone saying that everyone will bow because of her dragons is basically admitting that she has no merits on her own.

Well yes in the sense that Dany still has a case that she can make to Westerosi lords sympathetic to the Targaryens (if any exist). She still needs to actually convince people to support her though. A claim on its own doesn't mean much. Especially since I see no evidence of Westeros having any kind of actual codified legal system.

She is only the rightful queen if you think the Targaryens should be in power and if you think Aegon is fake. How many people in Westeros actually think that way?

I can't see anyone seriously denying that she hasn't a claim. The hard part will be bringing Houses over to support that claim. If the Wall has fallen and the Others marching south then I suspect her and her dragons will be greeted as saviours.

I for one think that if she has to use the dragons to convince anyone, would cheapen her story extremely as she would just win the kingdom by fear not what she was built up to so far.

She only has one dragon left now.

If Victarion uses the horn to control them (which I think he will) he or Euron (who I think is the series's main human villain) will have two.

They could be king, King Victarion I, he'd get a hardon at the Iron Throne.

Someone saying that everyone will bow because of her dragons is basically admitting that she has no merits on her own.

And that is key, I think, She may take the throne and rule for decades. But, the idea that she took what was "rightfully hers" is suspect, to say the least.

They'll probably think Dany is the fake, which would be hilariously ironic (would it be? I've never grasped how to use the word ironic rightly.)

Actually, no, they wouldn't. She's the Targ that's been accounted for all these years. And she has dragons, ffs. Even in the rare (by which I mean, impossible) event they think she's a fake, if she really wanted the throne, she could just fucking take it.

Thing is, whoever ends up as king will not get there because of blood. Conquest and consensus-- recognition of power in some capacity-- is where the story is headed. Something even Stannis has realized by this point-- his blood isn't enough, and he refocused his campaign to win it.

Ok, I suppose I get on board with the idea that the consent of the lords is what establishes the legitimacy of kings in Westeros, to some of extent, since that would move things in a better direction than mere Divine Right. But, if consent of the lords is what matters, in the end, then what kind of claim does Dany have again, based on her birth?

On side note. Does it matter if its a majority of lords, or just the ones with the biggest armies?

Well, anyone who decides they want the throne can make a claim, can't they? I mean, Euron is doing just that, and his "claim" is about beating people up.

Westeros is in a really fluid period of time right now. Some think they believe in blood-claim, others don't care about that and want someone who will work for their interests, others just want to be fed ("King Bread" will have quite a following once winter hits). At the moment, no specific type of claim is invested with enough authority to make it deterministic-- people can press via force, blood, good works (feeding the populace), heroics (Stannis' current campaign).

Well we have already heard from the small council (namely Kevan Lannister) that Dany's legitimacy is without question, whereas they were very skeptical that Aegon is who he claims to be.

She only has one dragon left now.

If Victarion uses the horn to control them (which I think he will) he or Euron (who I think is the series's main human villain) will have two.

They could be king, King Victarion I, he'd get a hardon at the Iron Throne.

An Ironborn in command of the Iron fleet sitting on the Iron Throne, just warming it for the Iron King, Stannis Baratheon.

That's just metal.

Well, anyone who decides they want the throne can make a claim, can't they? I mean, Euron is doing just that, and his "claim" is about beating people up.

Yes they can. But, the question is whether that claim ought to be given any respect at all, aside from the fact they have the biggest army. I would say Euron's claim to the Iron Throne is horseshit.

An Ironborn in command of the Iron fleet sitting on the Iron Throne, just warming it for the Iron King, Stannis Baratheon.

That's just metal.

Super fuckin' metal.

With dragons too, whom Victarion will rename Axeblade and Ironprice, because he lack originality in addition to being metal.

Super fuckin' metal.

With dragons too, whom Victarion will rename Axeblade and Ironprice, because he lack originality in addition to being metal.

I seriously want that to happen, but then the whole world would implode and the series would be over.

Axeblade and Ironprince are priceless and still would have been taken with the iron price.

I seriously want that to happen, but then the whole world would implode and the series would be over.

Axeblade and Ironprince are priceless and still would have been taken with the iron price.

As his first act as King, Vicatrion will make the Iron Price the official currency of the Seven Kingdoms, which will now be referred to as the Iron Kingdoms.

Yes they can. But, the question is whether that claim ought to be given any respect at all, aside from the fact they have the biggest army. I would say Euron's claim to the Iron Throne is horseshit.

Aegon I himself took Westeros with fire and blood and established the throne in the first place. So, I think if you have enough force and can maintain that authority, it's yours. I'd say anything that constitutes "force" of some kind is a "claim."

How do you mean "respect" though? Because it's not an appeal to quasi-"legally" based bloodlines?

As his first act as King, Vicatrion will make the Iron Price the official currency of the Seven Kingdoms, which will now be referred to as the Iron Kingdoms.

You sir, won the internet.

Of course he will reign with an iron fist and give iron loans to the Iron Bank.

You sir, won the internet.

Of course he will reign with an iron fist and give iron loans to the Iron Bank.

The most metal of banks.

I used to hate Victarion, but now his shear metal-ness might make him one of my favorites, especially if he gets dragons.

Fuckin' metal as hell viking-pirate-dragon-riders, kicks the shit out of incestuous Aryan dragon riders.

Aegon I himself took Westeros with fire and blood and established the throne in the first place. So, I think if you have enough force and can maintain that authority, it's yours. I'd say anything that constitutes "force" of some kind is a "claim."

Ok, then. So, then you are of the view that anybody with a big enough army has a claim. Euron's claim is just as legitimate as anybody else's because he might have the army to enforce his claim. The poor small folk of Westeros.

When, I say "respect", I mean something in law or tradition that establishes a person's claim to the throne, other than just plain old "might makes right".

Archived