Difference between book readers and show watchers...?

TheBreadWedding

The show and the books are two entirely different things. I don't consider one when thinking about the other and vice versa. There's been too many changes and simplifications and the show creators own personal added fanfic in the show to really consider it even the same universe as the one in the ASOIAF books.

When I'm watching the show I'm there for the laughs, an epic battle or fight, and boobs.

When I'm reading the books I'm there for the intricate plots, interesting and diverse characters, serious questions on morality, etc.

My one unsullied friend refuses to read the books until she's finished the TV show. She's been watching since the first season and does not want to be spoiled. A big difference I find is that she is really, really committed to Dany taking the Iron Throne. Whereas I was, even by this point, troubled by her entitlement, and what will happen to Westeros after her death if she is indeed infertile as believed as of ASOS IIRC, my unsullied friend buys into the whole birthright thing. I think one area the show really lags behind the books in general is in pointing out the inherent pettiness of the whole game of thrones and how all the players have lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing, perhaps because D&D focus so intently on KL. It makes the smallfolk seem a lot less relevant and takes away from one of my favorite things about the books: how they showed how even the "good" guys aren't lily white That said, I think there are other things the show does better, likely because they have the benefit of learning from Martin's mistakes and seeing which parts of the text just don't work. I personally am excited to see a tighter AFFC/ADWD, as both of those books seem like they could have benefited from having some fat trimmed.

I read the books because I loved the show. I was always a fantasy fan in my teens but I missed the release of AGOT as it was my GCSE year and I committed to only reading books which formed part of my curriculum that year. Followed by 3-4 yrs of taking far, far, far too many drugs and reading only "serious" literature. I then got married and drowned in nappies and breast pads for a decade. Seeing an add on TV for a show which appealed to me so much was like manor from heaven I had found that with 3 children under 5 and studying for my BFC I couldn't cope with reading anything beyond the radio times. So watching the show was awesome for me & the desire to know what happens next on the run up to season 3 was what made me give in and buy the books ( I had been holding out so as to be able to enjoy the show for what it is.) I knew that once I'd read the books he show would be ruined for me. And it is. Every tiny little change drives me crazy. I'm ranting what the fuck was wrong with a hairnet, where are the wedding cloaks. how can they omit Coldhands/Patchface/Edric Storm. etc etc etc..... I'm trying really hard now to disengage from the text and just enjoy the show. But D& D are making that is increasingly hard.

So as a former Unsullied I think we ought to lay off of them a bit. I have a DH who is a show only guy. And I am always explaining back story to him and filling in the blanks of whats been left out or altered and I'm quite sure I'm doing his head in. I also have a friend who is doing what I tried to do and not read the books until the show is over, seeing her show only based theories is hilarious and quite interesting all at the same time. And I am pleased to say that having loaned my books out to another friend she is now becoming a book only fan..... yes. She refuses to watch the show and is loving the books. I am delighted as it gives me a mate to bounce ideas off of irl. Though she's not that far into the text yet and I'm impatient I want to get to the point we can openly discuss everything. My brother is show & book and we have some good chats, though he never figured out R+L=J, which I was shocked by as to me it was obvious by a third of the way into ACOK.

The difference is the community, majority of TV Show watchers act like 13 year olds playing Xbox, and the Book readers are more mature, and discuss things in-depth.

It's ridiculous BS statements like that that makes this whole fanbase look bad. UGH. It's really troubling that a certain segment of this fanbase really believes they are superior to others because they've read a book. That's pathetic.

The only reason I dislike the show is that GRRM keeps writing episodes for it, stick to writing the book.

The fact that GoT is not as good as ASOIAF is no shock, very few adaptations are as good as the original source and considering the info and detail in the series can you imagine what an episode would be liked if D&D had remained completely faithful?

Also, it was the TV series that turned me onto the books and as a stand alone series is best thing on the TV at the moment. (Closely followed by Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom)

I think people just need to learn to separate the TV series and the books and enjoy both for what they are.

It's ridiculous BS statements like that that makes this whole fanbase look bad. UGH. It's really troubling that a certain segment of this fanbase really believes they are superior to others because they've read a book. That's pathetic.

Agreed.

It think the problem is that TV fanbase has just a broader install base considering the medium and thus makes it appear as there are more immature fans.

I wouldn't go around calling show-watchers immature. None of the Unsulled ever tried to convince me that Jon was Ned and Lyanna's son or Sansa is a psycopath or Jaime didn't push Bran, that was just BR warging him.

Also, don't show watchers get like ten episodes a year, unless you buy the dvds it's hard to do rewatches. Books can be read in empty moments-on commutes, waiting for the kettle to boil-but you can't do that for shows.

Also, also not everyone enjoys reading.

They have changed these two so much that regardless of what they do from now on, these characters will never resemble their book counterparts. It's annoying trying to explain to people why I like Stannis or dislike Tyrion. To them it sounds like I'm just nitpicking about some changes.

Interesting, I have not heard this before, I always feel like my show-only friends are completely blind to some obvious inconsistencies. Probably the fact that their favorites (Arya, Tyrion, Dany) are quite static characters in the show plays a role. Which characters have your friends seen as inconsistent?

Mostly Stannis, one day he's whiny and weak willed, next he's hard and gruff, then back again. And he's supposed to be notoriously just, yet this hasn't really been shown on the show. I think his portrayal is really confusing to alot of show-only people. Also, Jamie's arc has been made a bit confusing of late. GRRM does make characters transition in and out of sympathy, but it usually happens in a more organic way, and in a way that is tied to the plot.

It truly is. I berated the hell out of the Harry Potter fandom for the same thing.

I heard about this series through the show, read the books first before watching any of the seasons. This is due to past experiences, where the book version of a franchise was far superior to any tv and movie adaptations. Re-read the books while watching the show and was disappointed at all the changes that could have a serious effect on future events of the tv series. They really made Varys and Littlefinger in to sub characters, which was disappointing to me. In the books they pull all the strings from the shadows, the noble houses are like game pieces to them.

My guess is that they can only pay so much to certain actors, so they limit ones that have less "clout" or popularity with the viewers, and focus more on making events epic and on popular characters like Jon&Starks, Daenerys, and Lannisters

I actually think the show watchers only should be our servants. the glorious book reading race was meant to rule

Well, I'm pretty sure you're just being sarcastic.

The difference is the community, majority of TV Show watchers act like 13 year olds playing Xbox, and the Book readers are more mature, and discuss things in-depth.

But I'm nearly as sure that you're serious.

I agree. :agree:

Besides which, I think that people who don't read the books look a lot better.

They're well-rested, because they aren't staying up into the wee hours reading "just one more chapter, then I'll turn in. Honest."

And they're cleaner and better groomed because they have time for such niceties as a good long shower, and flossing the teeth.

Let's face it, having your face buried in a 1,000 page book for days on end isn't the healthiest thing in the world.

;)

Well, I'm pretty sure you're just being sarcastic.

But I'm nearly as sure that you're serious.

I agree. :agree:

Besides which, I think that people who don't read the books look a lot better.

They're well-rested, because they aren't staying up into the wee hours reading "just one more chapter, then I'll turn in. Honest."

And they're cleaner and better groomed because they have time for such niceties as a good long shower, and flossing the teeth.

Let's face it, having your face buried in a 1,000 page book for days on end isn't the healthiest thing in the world.

;)

Showatchers drool...

and Readers rule!

Interesting thread, but I think it really comes down to everyone is different. You can't pin all unsullied as just not getting it or thinking Dany's name is Khaleesi, etc etc... There are plenty of just show viewers who do get it and debate and understand a lot of things. I have like 5 unsullied friends that I watch and discuss with very deeply (without spoiling). Two of them are going to begin reading after this season. It all depends. But, I do agree, many aren't like that.

A few other thoughts... I don't think unsullied are sympathetic for Cersei. Every single show only watcher I've talked to absolutely hates her. I think she isn't portrayed much differently in the show at all to be honest. Some of her sexuality is toned down, but she's still a crazy bitch! Also, for the Tyrion white washing complaints, don't even get me started. I personally think even to this stage in the books, just about everything he has done is justifiable (There's that questionable ADWD chapter). However, especially up to the point they are in the show... Tyrion hasn't done anything bad. Sure he drinks like crazy and whores but who gives a fuck! Basically everyone loves Dany on the show, true. Although, I have one unsullied friend who doesn't because he's hellbent on convincing himself that she's gonna go Targaryen apeshit.. which is interesting. Anyways, I think many many many book readers also love her. It's only since ADWD all these anti Dany people love to wine about her on these forums. Boo fuckin hoo. I thought her story in Meereen was realistic for the context and very interesting. She's not even in my top 5 characters but I love it. The late great Stannis obsession on here is also insane. I actually like and really enjoy Stannis in both books and show. However, how so many people overlook his many terrible acts and proclaim him the true just king and then shit on people like Dany, Jon or Tyrion is total crazy to me. That's a whole other story though.

I feel kinda bad. GOT is my brother's favorite show, but he refuses to read the books, so we talk about stuff 'n things. (He's convinced that Tywin poisoned Joff to get Tyrion out of the way and that everyone in the North is dead after the RW.) And I mentioned that Oberyn is who I'm most excited about this season and how I was disappointed he wasn't in last season because he's awesome and that he has an epic fight that was one of my favorites in the entire series and if the show writers change one word of it, I'll probably riot in the streets. So then my brother thought that meant that he's gonna be around for awhile, and I don't want to ruin it for him, but I'm pretty sure he's not gonna be happy with me for hyping him up, only to be Gregor-smashed in a couple of episodes. :/ People need to read the books to avoid these awkward situations.

It truly is. I berated the hell out of the Harry Potter fandom for the same thing.

Wow. I didn't realize that such a fanbase schism occurred in other fandoms as well. This is the first time I've encountered this. It's really disheartening to see. Whether we're show watchers or book readers or both, we're all fans of this amazing, imaginative fictional universe. Why can't we just appreciate that without using it as an opportunity to feel superior?

I've only had one problem with one Unsullied and that's because he tried to tell me what was going to happen in season 4 even though he knew I read the books (and have read them multiple times). I can't stand people who do that even though book readers have more knowledge about what was going to happen.

Clearly show watchers are going to have different views of characters as well as focus on different story lines than book readers. I just tell people to read the books because they are better and I try to avoid spoiling show watchers.

Pretty typical thread and responses. I hate unsullied blah blah blah, they know nothing, don't see intricacies, don't know names, think Dany is good, don't like Stannis, on and on and on.....

How about, book snobs...think they know everything, see secret theories and Targs everywhere, know every name in the books but haven't seen the sun in 6 months, worship Stannis, hate Dany etc.....

Man, can't we just let people be who they are and like what they like without the hate and judging?

I love talking to show only people and seeing what they think, it's like reliving some of the books from a different perspective.

Dissapoints me that there are people in this thread that feel superior to the show watchers because they've read the books and are "real fans" of George. That's bullshit. Anyone with half a brain that knows how to appreciate a story loves George's work in television form as much as we do in book form. You're no better than the typical troll that goes on to YouTube and posts spoilers because he feels like a smug asshole and feels better than the people that only watch the show.

Archived