why all the Aegon hate:

PrinceJudeMartell

Does it really matter if he's a fake though? He seems like legitimately the best candidate to rule (admittedly not saying much when compared to Stannis, Dany and Tommen) . But not being a Targ actually would be something in his favor because of their tendency to go mad.

As for being fake, it's probably because there's a substantial amount of evidence to indicate that he is... and people love theorising. Also, people have gone through a lot learning to love the characters they think/hope will eventually be the hero. Then Aegon comes along, of course we don't want him to be the real deal.

As for why people don't like him, see his treatment of Jon Connington in their final chapters. Of course, this is coloured by coming from JonCon's perspective... but still. He's a bit of a self-entitled, arrogant douche.

What treatment? Duck earned his cloak and as leader Aegon had to lead.

I don't like him for ONE of the same reasons I hate the Ironborn. There is no time for this shit. If we actually only have two books left, we do not have time for this. The Others are the worst villains/whatever in the history of literature at this point. If they get defeated at the Wall, if the South does not suffer for their recent games causing so much death, then I will set the books down, light them on fire and never read them again.

Aegon is just another waste of pages, if he is just a plot device for Dany, he is not needed, there are so many reasons she could return to Westeros.

The character on the page, whatever, if this was a 10 book series I am fine with him.

He was introduced with questionable identity, and his identity is still in question. There is quite a bit of Blackfyre text in the books with no Blackfire representative. The Golden Company has broken its contract to support him, which they would only do for a Blackfyre. It's their raison d'etre. There are a dozen innocuous references to black rust and dragons of other colors, Dance with Dragons 2.0, etc. That's all material that points to Aegon being a Blackfyre.

People are a bit frustrated with the last couple books for diverging so much with so little action. Aegon is a good target for that frustration, even though he seems more intent on Westeros than Daenerys.

Systematic brainwashing and elimination of competing theories by the BlAegon fanatics.

Dude you will not know how many theories Or foreshadowing points I brought up be put down as nothing because it involve Aegon winning the throne, but mention Jon becoming Jesus and everyone eats it up like candy.

I don't like him for ONE of the same reasons I hate the Ironborn. There is no time for this shit. If we actually only have two books left, we do not have time for this. The Others are the worst villains/whatever in the history of literature at this point. If they get defeated at the Wall, if the South does not suffer for their recent games causing so much death, then I will set the books down, light them on fire and never read them again.

Aegon is just another waste of pages, if he is just a plot device for Dany, he is not needed, there are so many reasons she could return to Westeros.

The character on the page, whatever, if this was a 10 book series I am fine with him.

Haha! I actually agree with this sentiment.

To me, Aegon seems like a plot device that shines a bit of light on the Blackfyres and how they intertwine with the Golden Company, both past and present, but I don't see what, if anything, he adds to the entirety of the plot outside of being yet another claimant to the throne. I simply see Aegon as a diversion from the main story line and having very influence in the grander events in the book. Sure, one can argue that he may take the throne and therefore isn't simply just another character, but I'd argue the Iron Throne itself is rather unimportant when there are clearly bigger problems at hand. Frankly, Aegon's rise has less to do with Aegon himself than it does with Jon Con's arc. Aegon's just a secondary character in that respect.

*I forgot to add that Aegon's story is also there to portray Varys' and Ilyrio's scheming as well. In essence, RR Martin created Aegon as a way to shine light on events of more important characters.

Duck didn't earn his cloak. He is not worthy of the KG, and Aegon is a fool for repeatedly ignoring JonCon's advice in his decisions.

Yeah he did, with loyal service, just giving it to nobles is a elites. Jon's advice was sit back and becoming puppet king.

Since aegons introduction there have beeen many mixed receptions and countless rumors about his past... I was just wondering why so many of you are so against the idea of him being Rhaegars son?

He's a little kid, which suddelny pops up in book five (this is already mentioned, but I repeat it).

And besides, when we have charaters such as Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Arya he isn't much appealing....

If we were to get some solid evidence that proves he truly is Rhaegar's son, then people would probably change their view on him. Since we haven't got any evidence yet though, I doubt that he is Rhaegars son. I think he is just too dull...

People are a bit frustrated with the last couple books for diverging so much with so little action. Aegon is a good target for that frustration, even though he seems more intent on Westeros than Daenerys.

IMO the finest explanation anyone's gonna find, right here.

Archived