Sword of the Morning: likely candidates

Fool of a Book

You don't throw Dawn around in so many significant spots, the Night's Watch Oath, the War for the Dawn, the name of the most legendary sword in Westeros, and currently the long night is coming unless it has some significance. You ever ask yourself why one of the oldest families in Westeros named their ancient Sword Dawn, and the title Sword of the Morning. Do you get the cyclical symbolism? A star falls and Dawn arises. That sword is going to a major POV and Jon has been training in the two handed style for most of the series.

EDIT: trusting GRRM, are you?

At the moment I think only a Dayne from the true house Dayne can claim it (ruling out Darkstar)

We don't know where Edric is at the moment but he could have easily have gone north into the neck rather than south and back to starfall. Now in the Neck is Howland Reed (lord of all loose plots) and we know the BwB has disappeared into the neck during Beric dondarrions time so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Edric has met up again with Howland. Now if you buy into the http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/89012-howland-reed-ashara-dayne-meera-jojen/ there is at least one Dayne in the neck. Ashara could give her vote to Edric being the next SoTM and this could lead onto him wielding Dawn.

If Arthur Dayne is alive and kicking about in the neck could he relinquish his hold on Dawn and bestow it upon Edric, or Arthur could ask Edric to go back to Starfall to reclaim it and then give it back to Arthur, this would mean that the wielder of the most talked about sword in the series is not some young boy who has appeared in just a few pages. Instead the wielder of Dawn is a knight we have heard nothing but good things about, for both the way he conducted himself and his sword skills.

So personally I believe it will either be Edric or Arthur Dayne who will wield Dawn and not Darkstar.

I actually think that Edric has bigger chance of becoming Sword of the Morning than Darkstar. The title is given to the worthy members of House Dayne (I am even more interested in how it is given) and Darkstar proved to be unworthy in every possible way of that word.

And if by some chance Darkstar gets it, I imagine every Sword of the Morning in the past 12 000 years to Arthur Dayne would roll in their graves...

I think Darkstar might steal Dawn. He is a bit ticked off by people remembering his cousin Arthur Dayne, feeling it was only because of the sword. I think that it is possible given that in this time institutions are no longer living up to their ideals as demonstrated by the KG since Robert, the Ides of Marsh at the NW, and even the monarchy itself. I don't think the Sword of the Morning would be too far a reach, although I don't think Darkstar would be the true Sword of the Morning given the pretenses in which he acquired Dawn. I think Darkstar might use Dawn to kill Tommen, to regain favor with Arianne and her king, Aegon. Tommen would be killed by the same sword his father was knighted with.

I think the next Sword of the Morning will be Edric Dayne given he is the only male member of the main branch of House Dayne.

I think Darkstar might steal Dawn. He is a bit ticked off by people remembering his cousin Arthur Dayne, feeling it was only because of the sword. I think that it is possible given that in this time institutions are no longer living up to their ideals as demonstrated by the KG since Robert, the Ides of Marsh at the NW, and even the monarchy itself. I don't think the Sword of the Morning would be too far a reach, although I don't think Darkstar would be the true Sword of the Morning given the pretenses in which he acquired Dawn. I think Darkstar might use Dawn to kill Tommen, to regain favor with Arianne and her king, Aegon. Tommen would be killed by the same sword his father was knighted with.

I think the next Sword of the Morning will be Edric Dayne given he is the only male member of the main branch of House Dayne.

It is possible, but I am not so keen that every institution and title has been deprived of value at the time. Sword of the morning might be the Last Mohican. I mean, Arthur was the last Sword of the Morning, someone known for his honor and valor, and since then there wasn't someone claiming the sword. I mean, if the institution of SotM is that tainted, they would have given it to someone who objectively doesn't deserve it. They didn't. They kept the sword at Starfall and continued with legacy. Unlike KG, Ides of March, SotM title does seem to be untainted. Or to be more precise, yet...

So, while I acknowledge that DS might pull something dishonorable like that, I would like to believe that his dirty fingers will never touch that sword. Because as I said, every Sword of the Morning would roll in his grave...

I wonder if the name Arthur hints anything like only the rightful owner could "pull the sword from a stone", or something along those lines. Maybe there is a test that Darkstar will fail, like waking up at 6:00am.

I don't think so. There's been an Ulrick Dayne who was SotM.

Sword of the Moring os ALSO one of the constellations

I suspect that EACH of the constellations will be important and may be associated with a key character (or perhaps a sword

We have

The first 5 constellations mentioned by Jon and I could not BUT think of Starks

Ice Dragon (Jon)

Moon Maid Sansa (She is at the eyrie)

Shadow cat Arya (cat of the canals)

Kings crown/Cradle (Bran ??)

Stallion aka Horned Lord (leaves only Rickon)

We also have a further 5 names

Sword of the Morning (Ned Dayne)

Grey Ghost (Robb had Grey Wind)

Galleon (Davos)

Crone,s Lantern (Catelyn, Oleanna or old Nan)

Sow (Not sure any one fits)

Sword of the Morning (

• 1 month later...

Archived