What would you do if you were Lyanna's sibling?

Kiporman

Okay, hear me out.

Suppose this; you are the younger sibling to Ned Stark, but older than Lyanna and Benjen. When Aerys called for the heads of your brother and Robert, you reunited with him in the North, and from there on out, you followed him into the Mad King War. You were forced into marrying the Tullys for soldiers in the war (marrying Lysa if you’re male, being betrothed to Edmure if you’re female). You fought in the Stony Sept, just as you fought in the Trident. You saw the fall of the Targaryens, saw the death of Rhaegar’s children, saw the surrender of Mace Tyrell. In the end, you fought alongside your brother in the Tower of Joy, with six of your best and most loyal friends fighting besides you. You, your brother and Howland Reed were the only survivors to the intense fight, and you went in to find Lyanna.

And then you learn the truth.

You learn that she was not kidnapped, but choose to run away with Rhaegar. You learn that Rhaegar built the Tower of Joy for her, and that the time were Rhaegar was missing was spent there, with her. You learn that the Kingsguard was guarding her, and you learn that so is because she has recently gave birth to Rhaegar’s son.

What do you think of her?

Is she a strong woman who went against society?

Is she a pitiable woman that was driven into a spiral of chaos because of her willfulness?

Is she a bitch who caused a war that claimed many lifes?

What do you do with her son?

Do you send him to be fostered in the Free Cities?

Do you pass him as your own son?

Do you kill him to put an end to Rhaegar’s legacy?

What do you do with her?

Do you arrange that she leaves for the Free Cities?

Do you bring her back home with you to Winterfell?

Do you hand her over to Robert, as his wife by right?

What would you do?

P.S.: I made that questions considering that, in this case, Lyanna would live through Jon’s birth, but feel free to answer as you would do if she died, if you wish. That should be interesting.

P.S.2.: I fear this may be somewhat impossible to avoid, but please, this is not a bash topic. Don’t turn it into it. I am simply curious as to how people would react to this, think about it. You’re free to disagree with others, but please, don’t try to force your opinion into anyone else, ok?

Even if Lyanna did run away with Rhaegar, she didn't cause the war. Aerys did that, when he executed her father and brother and called for Bob and Ned's heads.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge her - we don't even know the whole story yet. We don't know why she did it.

Assuming that she still dies, I would step up to claim the bastard instead of Ned, allowing him to keep his honor spotless and preventing Catelyn's hate towards Jon.

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but I am going with C - While I dont think she cause the war, this is the option that is closest to the feelings I would have for her. I wont pity her or admire her, I'd hate her. She refused to do her duty - this is a medieval society, and as a daughter of a great house she has a duty to support her family and abide by their decisions. Brandon did not complain when he was forced to abandon his love(assuming Lady Dustin is telling the truth), Ned loved(or at least had a major crush on) Ashara but still did his duty, I myself am being forced to marry a woman who will hate me and probably poison me in my sleep(Lysa). Lyanna abandoned her family and her duty when she ran away with Rhaegar - its time we abandoned her.

The child is entirely blameless and he is still my nephew - he doesnt deserve death or exile. I'd pass him off as my son and try to give him the best care possible.

What do you do with her?

Now thats a tricky one - probably leave her to her own devices. If she wants to go to Robert she can or if she wants to fake her death and leave for the free cities she can or if she wants to join the silent sisters, she can. I'd leave it upto her.

That's tough because she's still family. I don't think I would hate her, but I certainly wouldn't applaud her either. I would resent her, I would think she was a brat, I would be angry, but eventually I think I might forgive her. I agree with Barty; she didn't start the war but her actions indirectly led to it. My father and brother were brutally murdered all because she didn't want to marry Robert, who, by the way, wasn't a terrible match for her. The more I think about it, maybe I would hate her.

Considering I'm a female, passing him off as my own son wouldn't be an option. I'd let Ned pass him off as his son since it was acceptable for men to have bastards.

What do you do with her?

If she survived, I wouldn't take her back to Winterfell. I'd be too angry for that. I would have her marry Robert, if he still wanted her. If he didn't . . . I'm not sure.

Aside: If she had died, I think I might have been more forgiving and I probably wouldn't hate her as much, or at all. Maybe I would pity her then.

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but I am going with C - While I dont think she cause the war, this is the option that is closest to the feelings I would have for her. I wont pity her or admire her, I'd hate her. She refused to do her duty - this is a medieval society, and as a daughter of a great house she has a duty to support her family and abide by their decisions. Brandon did not complain when he was forced to abandon his love(assuming Lady Dustin is telling the truth), Ned loved(or at least had a major crush on) Ashara but still did his duty, I myself am being forced to marry a woman who will hate me and probably poison me in my sleep(Lysa). Lyanna abandoned her family and her duty when she ran away with Rhaegar - its time we abandoned her.

A woman in a marriage has no rights in Westeros she's her husbands property. Brandon Stark doesn't have to give up anything in a marriage.

He doesn't have to adjust his behavior or even pretend to do so.

Brandon's situation does not compare to Lyanna's.

I'd probably do everything Ned did, go to war and whatnot, mainly because it was Aerys' demands that started the war, and you couldn't blame Lyanna for all that.

And I'd most probably forgive her since she's family, and probably dying and all that. Were she alive, I'd probably be angry at her and blame her for the deaths of Brandon and Rickard, and even blame the war on her.

And just what is the truth? We know very few truths as outlined here. This hypothetical only works with assumptions of the "truth."

The "truth", in this case, is the hypotetical that I pointed all in my post... which basically amounts to three main points:

*She chose to run away with Rhaegar

*Rhaegar built the Tower of Joy for them to stay there

*She had a son with Rhaegar

Since these are basically the most accepted scenario, I think it's relatively fair to use them as a consideration for the "truth". At least, in this particular hypothetical.

To be honest, I would be pissed off. I would probably not hate her as her sibling, but honest to god, I would be pissed off about all the trouble she and Rhaegar, plus his pyscho father, caused our family and the realm. So I guess the second option is my answer for the first question. Willfulness is only endearing to me when it isn't causing nationwide chaos and ruining thousands of lives.

Second question is tough. If this is possible, I will take a fourth option and hand him off to a nice couple I trust very much who will happily adopt him and pretend he's their true-born son. A life as a peasant or son of a very minor house would probably be better for him than the life of a bastard. Of course, I'd do something to ensure his adoptive parents don't blab to anyone or do anything to him like mistreat him (as much as I could do anyways).

Third question is easy. Free Cities. If she ever comes back, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'd bring her back to winterfell if she wished, with the baby targ-stark. Robert and Ned would still be at odds, without grief of Lyannas death to unite them. If he tried anything the north would be raised.

That depends. If she survived, I'd be super pissed. She helped Rhaegar and Aerys starts this whole shit storm which also resulted in our brother's (not that he wasn't an idiot but I could understand his sentiments) and father's death not to mention thousands dying. I would have still loved her but I would have been very mad with her. As Lady Howell pointed out, willfulness isn't cool when it helps to start a bloody war. If she had died, I'd be really upset because even if she was a utterly clueless moron she was still my little sister and family so her death would still hurt me bad.

As for Jon, he's still family, I don't really give two shits who his dad was so I'd do what Ned did and try to pass him off as my own or ask Howland Reed to pass him off as his son (being a girl, passing of Jon as mine would be extremely problematic).

As for Lyanna, I'd try to convince to go to the free cities because bringing her back to Winterfell would probably start another shit storm.

Provided what I knew, I what probably do the same what Brandon did (if I was in Brandon's situation).

I would be really annoyed, if I knew that she ran willingly. I'd definitely take Jon though.

D. She is a selfish, arrogant, ignorant and stupid brat who thinks that she is better than everyone.

B. Pass him as your own son.

What do you do with her?

C.Hand her over to Robert, as his wife by right.

or

D. Cut her tongue and send her to silent sisters.

Stupid, stupid, selfish brat responsible for thousands of deaths. That is, if she lives. Otherwise, I'd consider her the same, but with way less hate and way more regrets.

He's family. My bastard, if she wants to or is dead.

What do you do with her?

Out of my live.

Funny how all the female posters so far have chosen to hate her.

B. Pass him as your own son.

Is it just my sleep-deprived brain acting up, or does that sound like a huge, reversed, step-mom Oedipus complex?

Archived