Do you believe Stannis will survive TWoW?

Waylin Stark

My guess - No.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Stannis is finished. His armies may defeat the Boltons and Freys, but somehow I don't think Stannis will survive. Maybe he'll die during the Battle in the Ice.

I think it will result in the Northern houses betraying the Boltons and Freys once Stannis' army have delivered them a crushing blow.

If he does go out, I hope it's while doing something cool like killing Ramsay.

We've had many disgraceful deaths (gored by a boar, stabbed by a shadow, getting poisoned at your wedding, your son killing you whilst you were taking a shit, getting roasted because you couldn't remember a dragon's name, etc.), somebody like Stannis deserves a cool one.

This would wind up the Northern war subplot, with hopefully the Bolton dead.

What are your opinions?

I'd put his chances of getting out of TWOW alive at about 50%, though his chances of still remaining alive at the end of the last book at closer to 5%. Obviously percentages is a strange way to express something that either is, or isn't, going to happen but it quantifies it a bit better than just saying "decent" or "low" chance.

My guess - No.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Stannis is finished. His armies may defeat the Boltons and Freys, but somehow I don't think Stannis will survive. Maybe he'll die during the Battle in the Ice.

I think it will result in the Northern houses betraying the Boltons and Freys once Stannis' army have delivered them a crushing blow.

If he does go out, I hope it's while doing something cool like killing Ramsay.

We've had many disgraceful deaths (gored by a boar, stabbed by a shadow, getting poisoned at your wedding, your son killing you whilst you were taking a shit, getting roasted because you couldn't remember a dragon's name, etc.), somebody like Stannis deserves a cool one.

This would wind up the Northern war subplot, with hopefully the Bolton dead.

What are your opinions?

I think the signs point to Stannis going far, against all odds.

The stories of the siege of Storm's End and his gritty survival there point to him being someone who can't be counted out.

Asha and Theon being with him places him now at the core of the Ironborn storyline. He was already involved with the fight for the Wall and for Winterfell. Nestoris makes him suddenly part of the Braavos storyline as well.

He will help the North retake Winterfell. He will help against the Others. He will help Asha retake the Iron Islands. With these various actions he will slowly build an unlikely coalition to finally defeat Euron.

He will make it to KL and briefly sit on the throne as forseen by Mel.

And then Brienne will kill him.

Shireen will have already died, so he will have no heir.

So, I would place his death early or at the mid-way point of ADOS

To be fair guys this is ASOIAF we're talking about, plenty of characters have died who looked to be in great positions(Joffrey at his wedding with the war mostly won) and others have lived when they're circumstances seemed dire (Tyrion after the trial). We really can't peg it as "Stannis is done." Most people on the forum expect him to win the Battle of Winterfell. If that's the case there's no reason to believe he dies then. The next threat would be the GNC(which is still completely fan conjecture btdubs) in that case even if it goes down I don't think the northmen would outright kill him. Which then leaves either further battles against the Iron Throne, or the White Walkers finally(the pizza's on its way!) attacking Westeros in full. I can't see Stannis losing/dying unless its by the Others. So I really don't think it's a certainty he goes out in TWOW. He's not as doomed as say Tommen or someone like that.

He's not as doomed as say Tommen or someone like that.

No he isn't and I also think he will sit the throne at some point , but somehow I have a bad feeling he will perish by the end of the story. It's just a hunch though, or a subconscious preemptive acceptance, just in case.

And yeah, if he wins the battle for Winterfell (which looks good so far), I give him also much higher chances of survival as well, as that would basically cement his reputation of his iron will and endurance. In that case he's peachy.

No he isn't and I also think he will sit the throne at some point , but somehow I have a bad feeling he will perish by the end of the story. It's just a hunch though, or a subconscious preemptive acceptance, just in case.

And yeah, if he wins the battle for Winterfell (which looks good so far), I give him also much higher chances of survival as well, as that would basically cement his reputation of his iron will and endurance. In that case he's peachy.

That's a good way to put it buddy, I've come to terms with it as well. The Red Wedding and various other "fuck yous" to the reader on behalf of GRRM have definitely prepared me for the worst. So at least if he finally ascends to the Iron Throne or commands some portion of the forces of Westeros against the Others I'll be all the more happy. He just HAS to win this Battle against the Boltons...no swerves GRRM, no blackwater bs, just Stannis and his superior generalship scoring a doublekill on the Bolton boys.

Ha ha. Peachy. I caught that. ;)

Brienne will get him in the end, but not for a while

I'm with you there. That's all I want and need.

Let us pray...

But I'm not too worried, in Theon's preview chapter Stannis was just operating at maximum Stannis capacity. He seems to be that dude right now. Yet there's still enough doubt(freezing army, karstark traitors, potentially superior force) for me to believe that a GRRM swerve isn't on the way.

Archived