She saw crimson firelions...

Lost Melnibonean

A search indicated that these visions had not been discussed outside the reread and heresy forums since 2006, so here goes...

What do these visions by Daenerys as she walked into the pyre represent, if anything?

She saw crimson firelions and great yellow serpents and unicorns made of pale blue flame; she saw fish and foxes and monsters, wolves and bright birds and flowering trees, each more beautiful than the last.

As we see so often notice the pattern of three threes: 1. i. crimson firelions, ii. great yellow serpents, iii. pale blue unicorns, 2. i. fish, ii, foxes, iii, monsters, 3. i. wolves, ii. bright birds, iii. flowering trees.

Do these visions represent houses? If so I can't figure out the pattern...

ETA

I like this one best...

1. i. Lannisters, ii. dragons, iii. Rickon, 2. i. Tully, ii, Frey, iii, Nymeria, 3. i. Stark, ii. Baelish iii. Bran.

Well, there is one potential pattern: Each of the three triplets begin with a representation of a great house--the three houses that began the War of the Five Kings...

Also I think they represent the duality or maybe evolution within the house possibly. Red lions Lannister obvious, yellow serpent cersei with her treason blue unicorn Jaimie's transformation after his arc begins. Fish tully's foxes maybe blackfish and his military tricks, monsters is LS. Wolves Starks, birds is Sansa as that's as she's referred to as and Tree is Bran since he's a Greenseer.

Also I think they represent the duality or maybe evolution within the house possibly. Red lions Lannister obvious, yellow serpent cersei with her treason blue unicorn Jaimie's transformation after his arc begins. Fish tully's foxes maybe blackfish and his military tricks, monsters is LS. Wolves Starks, birds is Sansa as that's as she's referred to as and Tree is Bran since he's a Greenseer.

That's not bad...

That really is quite good haha. If that's the case, then - combined with the fact that I think GRRM represented these sigils amongst the respective bannermen - the symbolism really runs quite deep (i.e. the backstories of the houses flying these sigils, which I think do appear, might somehow tie into the traits/future plots of the respective characters)

very very speculative

crimson firelions = Moqorro & red priests?

The wizard was a monster of a man, as tall as Victarion himself and twice as wide, with a belly like a boulder and a tangle of bone-white hair that grew about his face like a lion’s mane. His skin was black. Not the nut brown of the Summer Islanders on their swan ships, nor the red-brown of the Dothraki horselords, nor the charcoal-and-earth color of the dusky woman’s skin, but black. Blacker than coal, blacker than jet, blacker than a raven’s wing. Burned, Victarion thought, like a man who has been roasted in the flames until his flesh chars and crisps and falls smoking from his bones. The fires that had charred him still danced across his cheeks and forehead, where his eyes peered out from amongst a mask of frozen flames. Slave tattoos, the captain knew. Marks of evil.

The crimson-and-scarlet robes of the red priests were alien to the ironborn, but Victarion had hoped his men might accept Moqorro more easily once clad in Greyjoy colors.

she saw fish and foxes and monsters = The Brazen Beasts?

two Brazen Beasts, one masked as a fish, the other as a hawk.

Before them stood two Brazen Beasts, armed with cudgels, spears, and short swords. Torchlight glimmered off the polished brass of their masks—a rat and a fox

Their masks gleamed in the sun: boars and bulls, hawks and herons, lions and tigers and bears, fork-tongued serpents and hideous basilisks.

very very speculative

crimson firelions = Moqorro & red priests?

she saw fish and foxes and monsters = The Brazen Beasts?

Not bad, but I think you need to flesh out the pattern. Can you find a link between Red priests and yellow serpents and blue unicorns?

For what it is worth; House Brax are bannermen of the Lannisters and their sigil is a purple unicorn. The play a couple of semi important roles in the back ground throughout the story. They find Tyrion in the mountains of the moon, they control one of the camps during the seige of Riverrun, and Sir Flement Brax testifies against Tyrion at his trial.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Brax

I got nothing else right now...

For what it is worth; House Brax are bannermen of the Lannisters and their sigil is a purple unicorn. The play a couple of semi important roles in the back ground throughout the story. They find Tyrion in the mountains of the moon, they control one of the camps during the seige of Riverrun, and Sir Flement Brax testifies against Tyrion at his trial.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Brax

I got nothing else right now...

House Brax (and Skagos) was (were) my first thought(s) too. But it's the wrong color, and I can't figure out how to tied House Lannister and House Brax to great yellow serpents.

Not bad, but I think you need to flesh out the pattern. Can you find a link between Red priests and yellow serpents and blue unicorns?

I will think about it ...

My first idea for the yellow serpent was the Shavepate ... (skin color, serpent helmet)

but i think the three animals are symbols for something "greater" ...

The reason I said Jaimie as the blue unicorn is bc he's on a redemption quest to become a true knight, which is by his own admission is unattainable, something mythic found only in legend, I get the blue from Brienne, sapphires which is for the first time in a long time he sees what a true knight is like and it sparks something from within that turns him onto his current arc. The unicorn is supposed to be the most beautiful and perfect of the creatures created by the gods in myth. A little convoluted but just how my mind works.

The reason I said Jaimie as the blue unicorn is bc he's on a redemption quest to become a true knight, which is by his own admission is unattainable, something mythic found only in legend, I get the blue from Brienne, sapphires which is for the first time in a long time he sees what a true knight is like and it sparks something from within that turns him onto his current arc. The unicorn is supposed to be the most beautiful and perfect of the creatures created by the gods in myth. A little convoluted but just how my mind works.

I gotta say your explanation is the best so far.

• 10 months later...

Crimson firelion- Lannister.

Great yellow serpents- Lynderly? Cersei?

Pale blue unicorns- Brax? I don't know how it applies to Jaime but unicorns are symbolic of change so perhaps

Fish- Tully

Foxes- Florent

Monsters- Mountain? Clegane?

Wolves- Stark

Bright birds- Arryn or Sansa works too

Flowering trees- Rowan (I know not flowering) and Bran as well. I guess greenseering blooms like flowers.

Perhaps it's those who will oppose Dany when she lands?

I just had the crackpoty thought that it describes the major house, their downfall and what will remain:

1. The Fall of House Lannister through Dorne or being surrounded by snakes as the (unofficially) ruling house (KL is often described as pit of snakes), but no idea about the unicorn

2. The Fall of House Tully through the Florents (this is pure crackpot, i dont really thought deeply about it) and what remains is Lady Stonehart, obviously a Monster

3. The Fall of House Stark through Littlefinger and/or Jon Aryns Death (which are connected) and what will remain are Bran and the weirwoodnetwork till spring

You see it's working properly for number 3 only, like I said crackpot, but maybe someone can see more connections that support my point?!

Anyway thanks for reading

I just had the crackpoty thought that it describes the major house, their downfall and what will remain:

1. The Fall of House Lannister through Dorne or being surrounded by snakes as the (unofficially) ruling house (KL is often described as pit of snakes), but no idea about the unicorn

2. The Fall of House Tully through the Florents (this is pure crackpot, i dont really thought deeply about it) and what remains is Lady Stonehart, obviously a Monster

3. The Fall of House Stark through Littlefinger and/or Jon Aryns Death (which are connected) and what will remain are Bran and the weirwoodnetwork till spring

You see it's working properly for number 3 only, like I said crackpot, but maybe someone can see more connections that support my point?!

Anyway thanks for reading

Brax could have something to do with Lannister downfall.

Perhaps Florent, Tully and monster house (Clegane) will all fall. Those three are much less described.

Bright birds can certainly be Sweetrobin, Sansa and LIttlefinger.

I mean I can see it work but why would Dany see it in the flames? Will her dragons cause it.

Maybe there is nothing ehre at all.

Archived