Brandon Stark: Loving Brother or Not?

Roddy the Ruin

This is for you Kiporman.

I hate how you get this picture of Brandon who cares greatly for his family, and then have the possibility of him screwing Ned over with Ashara. Brandon's actions were stupid no question but it shows his love for his sister, because in his mind killing Rhaegar=Rescuing Lyanna. And how he got his shy brother a dance with his crush. And then to have him betray Ned in such a way, just ruins Brandon's character.

I hate how you get this picture of Brandon who cares greatly for his family, and then have the possibility of him screwing Ned over with Ashara. Brandon's actions were stupid no question but it shows his love for his sister, because in his mind killing Rhaegar=Rescuing Lyanna. And how he got his shy brother a dance with his crush. And then to have him betray Ned in such a way, just ruins Brandon's character.

I don't think he tried to screw him over, he probably did not know Ned had such strong feelings for her.

That's just 1st born male syndrome. My brother and father have it. If they this develop this syndrome they don't they're being an asshole, they just think everything is theirs to do what they want, like what Lady Dustin said. It doesn't mean they love their family any less, it's just a bad character trait.

Brandon's actions were stupid no question but it shows his love for his sister, because in his mind killing Rhaegar=Rescuing Lyanna.

I don't think it shows that unless I missed an indication in the books. It could have been love, it could have been honor, I am not sure if anything is indicated one way or another.

That's just 1st born male syndrome. My brother and father have it. Once they this develop this syndrome they don't they're being an asshole, they just think everything is theirs to do what they want, like what Lady Dustin said. It doesn't mean they love their family any less, it's just a bad character trait.

Being a 1st born male I'd have to disagree. Growing up if I found out my brother thought a girl was hot, I tried to hook him up like Brandon did, and if she had a hot older sister, so much the better, otherwise it's guy code not to step on family or real friends when it comes to women.

Being a 1st born male I'd have to disagree. Growing up if I found out my brother thought a girl was hot, I tried to hook him up like Brandon did, and if she had a hot older sister, so much the better, otherwise it's guy code not to step on family or real friends when it comes to women.

I didn't mean EVERY 1st male has it. Just some. It's something people develop, not something they're born with.

That's just 1st born male syndrome. My brother and father have it. If they this develop this syndrome they don't they're being an asshole, they just think everything is theirs to do what they want, like what Lady Dustin said. It doesn't mean they love their family any less, it's just a bad character trait.

:bs: As a firstborn male, I call bullshit. Do I want a little respect and deference from my younger sister? Yes. Is all her stuff mine to do with as I please? Hell no.

Ulysses, I get what you're trying to say, I really do, but Brandon was being really stupid. Even if he thought killing Rhaegar was the only thing he needed to do, he still fucked up big time. He was in Riverrun and Lyanna was heading there, right? That means he traveled almost half way across the kingdom on a ghost chase to make a suicidal threat. If he was really focused on saving Lyanna he shouldn't have gotten himself (and their father) killed so easily, otherwise he could have been dooming Lyanna to being a sex slave raped for the rest of her life.

He did have good intentions, and it's not much worse than doing something Doran would do like being really indecisive and ultimately doing absolutely nothing, but failing a rescue attempt and not making one have the same result.

So I say again. Never go full Brandon.

The information about Brandon being a womanizer we got it from Lady Dustin, who is resentful of having lost him, so, we should take her memories with a grain of salt.

Alys Karstark recalls that her father encouraged her to be friendly with Robb because he was the heir of Winterfell. IT wouldn't be odd if some Lords don't mind their daughters to be "chummy" with certain lords so they could catch a good marriage, which in a way, happened to Robb (although the intention was different). Lady Dustin says pretty much the same about her father and Brandon, probably more "street smart" than Robb, realised that he could get noble girls from minor Houses in that way without even trying and their fathers wouldn't really complain that much because at least they tried. House Dustin was a minor house swore to the Starks, but Ashara Dayne is a different matter, she's not even from the North, owed nothing to House Stark and didn't even needed a marriage with him because she could get any other men in the South, closer to home.

Would you care to present any credible evidence that Ned had any feelings at all for Ashara?

Based on Meera's story, Ned for sure had a crush on her. How strong his feelings were is questionable, but if they weren't important, I don't see why Martin would include that detail. Or why Meera would even be aware that Ned was attracted to Ashara unless it had some significance to what happened at Harrenhal or after.

Based on Meera's story, Ned for sure had a crush on her. How strong his feelings were is questionable, but if they weren't important, I don't see why Martin would include that detail. Or why Meera would even be aware that Ned was attracted to Ashara unless it had some significance to what happened at Harrenhal or after.

Try reading it again.

The crannogman saw a maid with laughing purple eyes dance with a white sword, a red snake, and the lord of griffins, and lastly with the quiet wolf...but only after the wild wolf spoke to her on behalf of a brother too shy to leave his bench.

Ned is too shy to leave his bench - not necessarily shy of Ashara in particular. In fact if it was just Ashara, or Ashara in particular, then he wouldn't be rooted to his bench.

Brandon asked her to dance with Ned - not because Ned wanted him too (as far as we know), but because Ned wasn't engaging (was missing out on) in the festivities.

There's no actual evidence there that Ned had any interaction with Ashara at all, or desire for any enteraction even, other a dance - something she did with plenty of other men too. Brandon at least talked to her, and got her to do his bidding, so he's a long way up on Ned there even before you look at other factors.

What we actually see is big brother seeing little brother missing out on the biggest party in the continent because he's too shy, and big brother gettng him involved despite himself.

I'm not ruling out Ned having a crush on Ashara (though the total lack of thought or memory of her throughout the books comes pretty darn close to doing exactly that, even if not quite...), but the fact is that nothing in Meera's story actually suggests this.

Archived