No New POV Characters- What does that really mean?

I've heard that GRRM doesn't plan on any new POV characters besides prologues and epilogues, but I'm not sure what he really means. Example- say we have a Hodor chapter in the next book. Hodor is not a new character, but he's never had a POV chapter before. Does he count as a "new POV character"?

1. Do you think he means that there will be no new characters who are also POVs? (but Hodor chapters might happen)

OR

2. Does that mean that the rest of the story will be carried entirely by the existing POVs? (no Hodor chapters will happen)

OR

3. Is GRRM lying to us and/or himself? (Hodor and his entire family will have multiple chapters)

We might see 1 or 2 new ones, as replacements.

For example, if Jon wargs in Ghost, we will have a new POV, the wolf's aspect, but it wont increase the overall amount of POVs. Just my point of view.

Wouldn't be a Ghost PoV still Jon's?

I think he meant that we won't get PoV from characters that haven't been a PoV before (option 2).

I also fear that he is not repeating PoV's in places where other PoVs are. Example: at the Wall, we won't have simultaneous PoVs, as we had Sam's, Jon's and Mel's. We would still need at least a PoV in each place where the action is happening: Wall, North, Meereen, Dorne, Citadel, KL, etc. But that would diminish considerably the number of PoVs.

. Example: at the Wall, we won't have simultaneous PoVs, as we had Sam's, Jon's and Mel's. We would still need at least a PoV in each place where the action is happening: Wall, North, Meereen, Dorne, Citadel, KL, etc. But that would diminish considerably the number of PoVs.

This.

Wasn't there a Sam and Jon chapter that both described the same dialogue they had together?

It's Martin, he never knows himself what is he going to write. He may be planning to not add any new POV characters but when we buy WOW, we may find out that half of the POV characters are new. As I remember, Barristan was not going to be a POV but Martin had written himself into the corner and had to add him. Same can happen in WOW. Or, he may decide that he wants to write a story about, I dunno, Bear Island and add POV from there. Nothing Martin says is for certain and Martin himself had told that hundred of times.

I think it's because he doesn't want to start new storylines. he wants to finish ASOIAF with these POV, because, let's be honest, there are a lot of storylines that need to draw to an end (war WF, Victarion to Dany, Cersei and Margaery trial,... and so on)

It's Martin, he never knows himself what is he going to write. He may be planning to not add any new POV characters but when we buy WOW, we may find out that half of the POV characters are new. As I remember, Barristan was not going to be a POV but Martin had written himself into the corner and had to add him. Same can happen in WOW. Or, he may decide that he wants to write a story about, I dunno, Bear Island and add POV from there. Nothing Martin says is for certain and Martin himself had told that hundred of times.

This. I believe he said something similar of Arianne Martell in the next book. Let us hope any old character new POV chapters are brief and bring the story closer to conclusion.

Wasn't there a Sam and Jon chapter that both described the same dialogue they had together?

There was indeed. I always assumed the reason for this was because it had been like ten years since the previous book came out and Martin needed to remind you what the hell was going on. It's pretty ridiculous when you read the books back to back, though, and laughably bad when you do a read that combines Feast and Dance.

Archived