whats the significance of 1 out of 5 stark children looking like Ned?

Frey Kings

Could you explain how Ned and Sansa are similar, or direct me to a thread that discusses that? Because I never picked up on it.

I would say they are both naive, trust people who they have good reasons to mistrust, they are kind and compassionate, they don't feel joy over misfortunes of their enemies, they constantly feel dissapointed when the world is not as good of a place as they hoped it to be and they can be quite insecure.

eta: ninjad

She shares similar characteristics of Ned (and Lyanna as well Brandon).

TBH, I never saw much similarity between Arya and Ned. Arya and Brandon, certainly. Arya and Lyanna, to some extent. Arya even share a lot of her mother's pragmatism, so uncommon for Ned. Given that Arya is described as "wolf-blooded" and Ned as "quiet wolf", I would say they are on opposite ends of spectrum.

Ned and Sansa share rather idealized view on world. While Sansa in AGOT lives in a fantasy world from songs, Ned thinks everyone abide to the same code of honor he does. They are basically blind when it comes to love. Sansa never sees Joffrey's true nature, while Ned is quite OK closing one eye to numerous Robert's transgression. Then we have their introvert personality for while Sansa does seem like outgoing type of girl, as the story progresses we see her becoming more and more private, being the quiet wolf Ned is described in the Reed story. Ned, with his calmness, opposed Brandon and Lyanna as much as Sansa opposed Arya. They share rather same sentiment of mercy and compassion. Ned wanted to save Cersei's children and Sansa showed the compassion to many people in her surrounding: from Lollys, Sandor, Lancel, Margaery, even Tyrion when she bowed to him when they ridiculed him. Sansa is truly Ned's child, more than any other of the 5 of them (the only one that gets advantage in front of her is Jon)

Thanks so much, I never put the two together like that. :)

TBH, I never saw much similarity between Arya and Ned. Arya and Brandon, certainly. Arya and Lyanna, to some extent. Arya even share a lot of her mother's pragmatism, so uncommon for Ned. Given that Arya is described as "wolf-blooded" and Ned as "quiet wolf", I would say they are on opposite ends of spectrum.

I meant in terms of looks. Personally I though Arya shared the most characteristics with Brandon (from what we know) as well as Cat and Lyanna. Arya clearly doesn't share some of Lyanna's more romantic inclinations. I agree that there isn't much similarity between Arya and Ned besides their looks.

The main difference I see is that Ned is less "wild" then Brandon/Lysanna.Ned even states to Arya that she reminds him of his sister which makes him sad as he says her "wolfblood" led her and Brandon to an early grave.Arya seems to be a mix of all of the Starks.The "Quiet Wolf" the "She Wolf" and the "Wild Wolf"

Ned and Sansa share rather idealized view on world. While Sansa in AGOT lives in a fantasy world from songs, Ned thinks everyone abide to the same code of honor he does. They are basically blind when it comes to love. Sansa never sees Joffrey's true nature, while Ned is quite OK closing one eye to numerous Robert's transgression. Then we have their introvert personality for while Sansa does seem like outgoing type of girl, as the story progresses we see her becoming more and more private, being the quiet wolf Ned is described in the Reed story. Ned, with his calmness, opposed Brandon and Lyanna as much as Sansa opposed Arya. They share rather same sentiment of mercy and compassion. Ned wanted to save Cersei's children and Sansa showed the compassion to many people in her surrounding: from Lollys, Sandor, Lancel, Margaery, even Tyrion when she bowed to him when they ridiculed him. Sansa is truly Ned's child, more than any other of the 5 of them (the only one that gets advantage in front of her is Jon)

For me she seemed like an introvert already in agot:

-she often carefully planned and analyzed what she would say out loud, even when talking to a close friend like Jeyne

-even during an exciting event like the tourney she was very focused on her own reactions

-she was utterly overwhelmed by the some social situation such as arrival of Renly & Barristan and the trial after the Trident incident

eta:

introvert =/= antisocial

introvert = reserved, concerned over one's own mental life, prefers solitarity, overwhelmed by some social situations

I disagree that Ned and Arya arent similar

They both have a disdain for "dishonorable" people and respect those around them if they've earned it, in their eyes. FAMILY means a lot to them.

they certainly have a lot of differences but those two are HUGE, imo

The main difference I see is that Ned is less "wild" then Brandon/Lysanna.Ned even states to Arya that she reminds him of his sister which makes him sad as he says her "wolfblood" led her and Brandon to an early grave.Arya seems to be a mix of all of the Starks.The "Quiet Wolf" the "She Wolf"

Brandon/Ned wonderfully parallel Arya/Sansa... I imagine the way we think of two girls is the way GRRM intended us to think of two brothers. I don't think that Arya is mix of all Starks. She mostly has Brandon's nature, Lyanna's looks and Cat's pragmatism and smartness. I rarely see much Ned in Arya, TBH, if any...

For me she seemed like an introvert already in agot:

-she often carefully planned and analyzed what she would say out loud, even when talking to a close friend like Jeyne

-even during an exciting event like the tourney she was very focused on her own reactions

-she was utterly overwhelmed by the some social situation such as arrival of Renly & Barristan and the trial after the Trident incident

Yes, but as story progresses that became more and more obvious.

Brandon/Ned wonderfully parallel Arya/Sansa... I imagine the way we think of two girls is the way GRRM intended us to think of two brothers. I don't think that Arya is mix of all Starks. She mostly has Brandon's nature, Lyanna's looks and Cat's pragmatism and smartness. I rarely see much Ned in Arya, TBH, if any...

Oh, definitely it becomes more obvious, I was just pointing out that there were always some significant signs.

I disagree that Ned and Arya arent similar

They both have a disdain for "dishonorable" people and respect those around them if they've earned it, in their eyes. FAMILY means a lot to them.

they certainly have a lot of differences but those two are HUGE, imo

They certainly do care alot about family and Arya does take Ned's words about having a pack to heart. but I don't think Ned and Arya would share quite the same view on what is "dishonorable." Arya always seemed more lackadaisical when it came to killing and I think she's had a more pragmatic view of "honor" than Ned.

I agree with this. From what we know of Brandon I always thought Arya most resembled him in her nature. I think Bran has more of Ned's nature also.

While the other 4 look like a Tully.

That the (Tully) eggs are strong! ;)

Here's what I wanna know: Why did Cersei not say to Ned "Hey, man, you're gross. Why would I bang my own twin, you sicko? My kids look like me because they're mine, fool." Like, just, so much trouble could have been averted by this.

Because Cersei is stupid and thought that she could seduce Ned and make him her stooge.

The "Quiet Wolf" Arya has in her is her ability to bite her tongue.

An example is when she was in Harrenhall and you know she wants to say something but she thinks better of it and remains silent.Brandon and more then likely Lysanna didn't strike me as the type to not say what they want even if it is dangerous (Brandon yelling for Rhaegar to "Come out and die")

Arya has a lot of the "SheWolf" in her and a lot of the "WildWolf" in her but she also has Ned's ability to...for lack of a better word blend in by not standing out.

They certainly do care alot about family and Arya does take Ned's words about having a pack to heart. but I don't think Ned and Arya would share quite the same view on what is "dishonorable." Arya always seemed more lackadaisical when it came to killing and I think she's had a more pragmatic view of "honor" than Ned.

I agree with this. From what we know of Brandon I always thought Arya most resembled him in her nature. I think Bran has more of Ned's nature also.

:lol: I totally realized that after i posted. I shouldve added "(according to them)"

but yeah, your right. they definitely disagree on what that means

Arya has a much harsher sense of honor and justice then Ned ever did.Arya reminds me most of how I imagine the Kings of Winter used to rule.

I wouldn't discuss Arya's or Kings of Winter's code of honor, because Ned truly trumps them. I think he is one of those exceptions of House Stark in regard of his honor.

The "Quiet Wolf" Arya has in her is her ability to bite her tongue.

Arya has a lot of the "SheWolf" in her and a lot of the "WildWolf" in her but she also has Ned's ability to...for lack of a better word blend in by not standing out.

Well, for Ned it comes naturally, for Arya, she needed to be taught of that. The one who mimics Ned's behavior in that is Sansa. Arya learned how to keep her mouth shut and control the temper, but that is not comparable to Ned and Sansa's generally calm nature.

Archived