What will happen to Tormund? (Book spoilers!)

Dornishwoman's Husband

In the books Tormund does not attack Castle Black from the south. In episode 4x09 I expect Ygritte and Styr to die, Mance to be captured by Stannis, but what about Tormund? Is he going to die as well? Will he escape just like in the books? Or will he be captured?

My take: since there will probably be no Val, I think Tormund will be taken prisoner along with Mance Rayder. And during next season, Jon Snow could release him in order to rally the surviving wildlings and give them a shelter south of the Wall.

What is your opinion?

This is exactly what I've been theorizing for months, especially now that Kristofer Hivju has been added to the main cast (which has so far been completely unwarranted based on his presence this season). So I think they're preparing to give him a bigger role going forward. Having Tormund fill Val's role from the books would streamline the story and cast, and it would be an excellent way of developing the friendship between Tormund & Jon next season, which I love.

I agree

I think he'll be getting the Val and Thenn/Alys roles.

I like the idea of him taken the Thenn one but I think excluding Val from the show is a lost opportunity. I certainly don't 'ship' the pairing but her and Jon have some good chemistry.

....I don't think we'll be getting Satin either. :frown5:

I think the little kid from the Gift could fill the Satin role, as far as being Jon's squire anyway.

^This.

I thought from the get-go that Tormund would be taking over for Styr. It seems like there won't be a 'Jon in jail' episode, but maybe we'll see Jon talk to Tormund who's in an ice cell after the attack? Later to release him as LC?

Whether or not he marries an Alys character remains to be seen from his role in WOW.

What about Rickon? The fact that the Thenns are cannibals seems like they've merged them with the Skagosi. Does this mean Rickon is north of the Wall too? Or is Rickon really at the Last Hearth, like Osha said?

It's a solid theory. I'm hoping they get Val into the show at some point though. The show could screw with us though, adding Hivju to the main credits like they did with Oona Chaplin and then killing him off. I'm not sure how the regular thing necessarily works but Hivju might have a good agent who got him a regular role (and higher payment) this season as he'll most likely appear alongside Rose Leslie in all of her episodes.

I think that too. Maybe he even fills the Thenn's son's role by marrying a Northwoman to establish some ties? It would be cute if she's a bit of a spitfire and Tormund seems intimidated, a la Alys and the Thenn.

This. The Thenns are way too brutal in the show to establish a tie and form a new House like what happens in the books. The viewers wouldnt be behind the plan and find Jon pretty repugnant for even suggesting the idea to a Northwoman/Alys. "My uncle is an asshole and trying to make me marry my cousin. I dont wanna!"

Jon: "Marry this guy!" *presents Sigorn of Thenn

Audience: "Dude, what?"

But if Jon were like: "Here, marry him!"

Audience: "YEAH THAT JOLLY VIKING LOOKING MOFO! YEAH YEAH! THAT SHITS AWESOME!"

And thus House Giantsbane is born.

Im actively rooting for it, to be honest.

I would have preferred that the actor playing Tormund was instead portraying Mance. They seem to be shoving Ciaran Hinds to the wayside and I fear for the Mance Rayder storyline, his one dimensional portrayal...ugh.

House Giantsbane I am on board for. In a big way.

I think one thing that will happen is Jon is going to kill Thenn leader during a battle probably in a dual witnessed by Tormund and Thenn clan. That Thenn cannibal leader in the show in one bad dude, someone even Tormund seemed fears. So by killing him, Jon will earn respect from Tormund and other Wildlings, which willl make it easer for them to accept Jon as a letter. Also by Jon killing that cannibal leader, Jon would become something of a leader to Thenn, especially once Mance is no longer around the Wall, so that would make it possible for Jon to set up marriage between one of the Thenn (Signorn) to Alys Karstark in season 5.

Considering Tormund, I really hope we get more of his funny side ! Hivju is perfectly able of pulling it of ! Give him some more decent material !

Satin's role will be given to the new young kid from the Gift, as others have said, seems as obvious as him outing Ygritte.

I havent given up on Val yet. HBO tends to introduce characters only when they are necessary and Val doesnt do much until the Dance arc. They could have her show up at Castle Black next season with Mance newborn baby, saying the mother died giving birth and have Selyse (or Stannis) demands that she is imprisoned, thus creating some tension with Jon not comfortable with locking her up.

I love Jon and Val's chemistry and I really hope we get more of her in the book and her at all in the show !

We've had some funny Tormund, though I guess not enough to convey the same degree of heartiness as in the books. It does annoy me when people criticise show Tormund as just being a brute though because I think they've shown him to be both loyal and considerate if you think about him straining during the climb to save Join and Ygritte's lives and then him subduing Ygritte non-violently to convince her that Jon was a bad egg. This of course is all S3 stuff. This season he hasn't said anything since ep. 1 (though his warcries/grunts in ep. 3 were pretty awesome). I hope we get a scene between now and the attack on Mole's Town or even before they attack CB, where he makes the point that their fighting isn't about Ygritte's vengeance or about the show-Thenns getting some good eating; it's about getting their families safe behind the Wall.

I can get behind this, actually, especially with Tormund as a Val replacement (I shudder to think how the show will portray Val if they get the chance, tbh) - as long as we hear at least one 'Har!'

I shudder to think how the show will portray Val if they get the chance, tbh

A hot Scandinavian girl with cold features, eyes as ice, fierce and not having her tongue in her mouth, speaking up to Jon, Selyse and Melisandre ! I would definitly buy that !

Yeah, yeah, I know, I have a huge crush on Val, dont tell me about it ! ^^

Yeah, true, Konrad ! I loved when he tried Tormund tried to protect Ygritte and show her Jon's true color (Black) in 3x09 ! It was a great Tormund moment, as was the sex lesson to Jon ! ^^

I entirely agree with having at least one Wildling scene of dialogue before the rest of the fighting this season !

What about Rickon? The fact that the Thenns are cannibals seems like they've merged them with the Skagosi. Does this mean Rickon is north of the Wall too? Or is Rickon really at the Last Hearth, like Osha said?

Considering how Osha feels about it, I am pretty sure they are anywhere but north of the Wall.

Also by Jon killing that cannibal leader, Jon would become something of a leader to Thenn, especially once Mance is no longer around the Wall, so that would make it possible for Jon to set up marriage between one of the Thenn (Signorn) to Alys Karstark in season 5.

Given that the show has established the Thenn as a band of vicious cannibals, I highly doubt there's any plans to have Alys (if she's even on the show) marry one of them.

....I don't think we'll be getting Satin either. :frown5:

Nope - instead of Satin we get that kid from the hamlet that can shoot arrows (and will thus kill Ygritte, it is known!)

Equally bummed that we don't seem to get any Donnal Noye - ergo no epic, gate-guarding dual death wiht kind of the giants :frown5:

But all for Tormund having a bigger role - agree he'll likely be the one to be sent north to bring in the Wildlings instead of Val.

I just wish he got funnier!! I mean, with all the s*xposition and boobage that this show affords, we get no mention of Tormund's Member!!!!????? What a missed opportunity for comic relief

Equally bummed that we don't seem to get any Donnal Noye - ergo no epic, gate-guarding dual death wiht kind of the giants :frown5:

Most likely, Grenn will fill Donal's shoes. It is strongly possible he dies there !

Considering Tormund, I really hope we get more of his funny side ! Hivju is perfectly able of pulling it of ! Give him some more decent material !

The only episode he was funny in was the one that Martin wrote last season. Because Martin understands his own characters, and clearly (a lot of times) no one else does.

Archived