The Wire rewatch: I Went to Hampsterdam and All I Got Were These Lousy Spiderbags

all swedes are racist

For the 1st time?

More like fourth or something.

I don't know why but my rewatch of Sopranos was a little bit ruined by the wire - I think it was the fact that Tony is gunning down middling targets himself while its pointed out in S1 of the Wire that Avon's probably not even touched a gun in years.

so we all watch the first two episodes by sunday?

eta: whoops i missed the post about amazon putting them up in mid may

Can we take a poll, are there people who want to do the rewatch who don't have access to HBO on demand, HBO Go or the DVDs? If there are we should wait for amazon, but if there aren't why not start this week?

I noticed that because I know exactly who they are and what happens to them the dynamics between Avon and Stringer are much more interesting this time, also Idris Elba is an amazing actor and while he doesn't do Baltimore black perfectly his American black accent is very good (though to be fair most of the American black actors didn't do Baltimore black perfectly either, 'cept Snoop), but Domonic West who I remember also thinking had a really good American accent the first time around doesn't sound as good this time. Ok I'll save the rest for when we really start the rewatch.

I don't know why but my rewatch of Sopranos was a little bit ruined by the wire - I think it was the fact that Tony is gunning down middling targets himself while its pointed out in S1 of the Wire that Avon's probably not even touched a gun in years.

Don't forget - Tony follows white boy rules. You walk right up to them and ask to buy drugs, and then they give them to you. No codes, no bullshit. If white drug dealers are to survive, you need to make special rules for them.

Avon absolutely still handled guns himself. In S3 when they were trying to get Marlo he personally went along when they tried to set him up, he got shot himself. And then in the episode McNulty and Daniels raided there wartime spot Avon had a gun and was planning to go along again.

Avon, like Marlo in the end had no interest of ever leaving the street lifestyle.

Avon absolutely still handled guns himself. In S3 when they were trying to get Marlo he personally went along when they tried to set him up, he got shot himself. And then in the episode McNulty and Daniels raided there wartime spot Avon had a gun and was planning to go along again.

Avon, like Marlo in the end had no interest of ever leaving the street lifestyle.

And this was a sign of his deterioration and slide into "playing" gangster

And this was a sign of his deterioration and slide into "playing" gangster

I don't think he was "playing". Marlo had a similar finish to his storyline. He walked out of the fancy party with all the politicians and went down to the corner where he preferred to be.

I don't think he was "playing". Marlo had a similar finish to his storyline. He walked out of the fancy party with all the politicians and went down to the corner where he preferred to be.

And that was just as pathetic? It was essentially him running from a life where he felt trapped. Avon was also being reckless for no good reason. Season One Avon would never pull that shit. And Stringer never failed to remind him.

(Also, should we be discussing this yet?)

(Also, Also: I also (I now hate that word) have HBOGO)

Does anyone not have access to the Wire now or an objection to officially starting the rewatch soon?

I also took Avon's use of gun's in season 3 vs season 1 as a sign of his deterioration and how prison had changed him. Also after he got out in season 3 he made it clear he didn't want to be like Stringer, he wanted to be a gangsta.

I also took Avon's use of gun's in season 3 vs season 1 as a sign of his deterioration and how prison had changed him. Also after he got out in season 3 he made it clear he didn't want to be like Stringer, he wanted to be a gangsta.

And the deterioration of the larger Barksdale organization. Like Stringer said, "we ain't got Bird, Wee Bey, Stinkem" and the men who replaced them were less reliable. Avon and Stringer took the streets with muscle, and I'm sure they participated in it back in the day. Avon was desperate to bring his crew back, and was willing pick up a gun like the old days. But the mere fact that he had to just showed how far he'd fallen.

And the deterioration of the larger Barksdale organization. Like Stringer said, "we ain't got Bird, Wee Bey, Stinkem" and the men who replaced them were less reliable. Avon and Stringer took the streets with muscle, and I'm sure they participated in it back in the day. Avon was desperate to bring his crew back, and was willing pick up a gun like the old days. But the mere fact that he had to just showed how far he'd fallen.

Yeah the muscle in season 3 aside from Slim Charles was just incompetent and not reliable. Definitely another reason why Avon was out there

well no one has complained so i propose the following schedule for those who are in.

by sunday may 4th. watch episode 1. (short week and an odd number of episodes.)

we then discuss that until the next weekend. (personally, ill probably keep notes on episodes until each sunday

by may 11th episodes 2 and 3

my 18th, 4 and 5

may 25th 6 and 7

june 1st 8 and 9

june 8th 10 and 11

june 15th 12 and 13

well no one has complained so i propose the following schedule for those who are in.

we then discuss that until the next weekend. (personally, ill probably keep notes on episodes until each sunday

my 18th, 4 and 5

may 25th 6 and 7

june 1st 8 and 9

june 8th 10 and 11

june 15th 12 and 13

braw

my 18th, 4 and 5

may 25th 6 and 7

june 1st 8 and 9

june 8th 10 and 11

june 15th 12 and 13

Yeah, that works.

Archived