Non book readers are starting to loose interest in the show

Barbossa

I suppose GoT/ASoFaI has a niche. Well, I would consider book readers that market. But also, perhaps GRRM's use of realism has worn thin on non-book readers. Maybe most "non-niche" people want the good old good vs. evil fantasy?

"Not as good as expected, Tyrian got out a bit too easy,"

"Why did Tyrion go back instead of just escaping?"

"What on earth was the whole Bran story about, that was so comical and stupid with the little girl with the grenades"

"Stannis turned up but he was mean to Jon and is still a mean grumpy man"

Quite simply, explain to your circle of friends most likely not on this site, that:

1) Jaime is Lord COmmander of the kingsguard, he goes where he pleases, and with Varys knowing the in's and out's of the red keep, Tyrion had all the opportunity int he world.

2) Because he's a true Lannister. His pride got in the way, as it might later on. He wanted his father, and he found shae (then his father).

3) The whole Bran story that he's been pursuing since his fall you mean back in episode what, 1? When Bloodraven came to him in his initial dream and told him to come find him?

4) Stannis is a cold, calculated strategist. The only warmth within him comes from R'hllor, and his R'hllorian advisor. Make no mistake, he's a machine -- that constantly needs an advisor, to make him human. Stannis is best when he has an advisor -- Davos, Melisandre, or whomever). That being said, The Night's Watch is beneath him, especially when he's confronted with a mere bastard. He's the one true king, what would he want with a bastard reject thats taken the black? Thats the thought process you have to keep in mind.

Tell your friend to open their minds -- not just their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it hard to believe non-book readers are losing interest when we see how incredibly well GOT is doing ratings-wise. The media buzz surrounding the show has burgeoned more than ever this past season. We don't know, however, if this season represents the show's peak. Media interest is a fickle beast.

Where I would worry for the show is when it inevitably expands the number of characters and locations. I have non-book reading friends who have only recently 'caught up' with GOT and a few are already floundering! Information overload... I'm not sure if this is just because they binge-watched and are overwhelmed.

As a book-reader, the more characters and storylines brought on board the better, but I can see how this will present big problems for more casual viewers. And as a consequence there will likely be savage cuts made to certain storylines to streamline the story which will also disappoint a lot of readers! It's a potential quagmire for D&D.

I suppose GoT/ASoFaI has a niche. Well, I would consider book readers that market. But also, perhaps GRRM's use of realism has worn thin on non-book readers. Maybe most "non-niche" people want the good old good vs. evil fantasy?

Oddly perhaps I'm finding the opposite with non-book reader friends! They want less of the fantasy and more of the 'realism' - particularly the KL politicking! The CotF and Bloodraven and, in particular, the skeleton wights, were a big turn off. The show is likely to venture deeper into fantasy from now on really (esp. once we hit what would likely be WoW material) so I know already of quite a few viewers who might well tune out at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course he will be in next season. AFFC and ADWD will be combined into mostly one season.

Yeah, the show isn't dumb enough to go an entire season without Tyrion, Dany or Jon.

Yeah, the show isn't dumb enough to go an entire season without Tyrion, Dany or Jon.

It's not really a question of being dumb, there was never the possibility of the show going without them. How could it? The show is chronological, and they don't disappear from the narrative from a while like, say, Theon, and they even invented torture scenes to keep him in

Non book readers love the show, I think, it's the book readers who are either baffled by the unnecessary (or just moronic) changes or claim to slop watching when show surpasses the books that I'd say are more likely to lose interest.

• 6 months later...

Not for nothing, and obviously Im bumping an old thread here, but GoT released a bunch of promotional screenshots from Season 5 on their official Facebook page which is just crawling with show only fans who normally say things that would make most book readers cringe. And yet, when they posted a picture of Missandei/Grey Worm, the general consensus, even among show only fans, seems to be "that storyline is boring/stupid/pointless". It was an encouraging moment I must say, and it just made me even more puzzled as to why D$D chose to continue that drivel into Season 5 if even their bulk audience didn't enjoy that.

Not for nothing, and obviously Im bumping an old thread here, but GoT released a bunch of promotional screenshots from Season 5 on their official Facebook page which is just crawling with show only fans who normally say things that would make most book readers cringe. And yet, when they posted a picture of Missandei/Grey Worm, the general consensus, even among show only fans, seems to be "that storyline is boring/stupid/pointless". It was an encouraging moment I must say, and it just made me even more puzzled as to why D$D chose to continue that drivel into Season 5 if even their bulk audience didn't enjoy that.

It's probably for the same reason they included the Robb and Talisa scenes in seasons 2 and 3. They're building his character so it would be more of an impact when he dies, which I believe will happen this season.

Not at all.

This tbh.

Game of Thrones is the most popular TV Show right now and with the positive changes that made AFFC/ADWD so poor it seems like it will grow even further in S5 considering that the last couple episodes are going to be insanely good based on what we know. If D&D survive this season which is adapted from the poorest books in the series, there's no risk of people losing interest in the show and I think it will be one of the best seasons yet.

In general the show is certainly more popular than ever (or it was last year, technically this year's hype has yet to begin.). But the actual hardcore Unsullied, as in the ones with their own little community on PTV - I think they're losing interest. More and more they just complain about too many people dying and the show being depressing, and the things that - unbeknownst to them - where changed from the books.

In general the show is certainly more popular than ever (or it was last year, technically this year's hype has yet to begin.). But the actual hardcore Unsullied, as in the ones with their own little community on PTV - I think they're losing interest. More and more they just complain about too many people dying and the show being depressing, and the things that - unbeknownst to them - where changed from the books.

The hype started weeks ago with the IMAX announcement and now the trailer. There's a 30 minute featurette on Sunday too. Season 5 is less than 70 days away.

Archived