Real Meaning of "The Night's Watch"?

howardh51

The Others (Aryans) are actually a superior race of humanoids and built the Wall to segregate themselves from the lower barbarians like the Andals and the First Men. The entire Night's King thing was a debacle because they are strongly against interracial marriage as it goes against their practice of eugenics, so they have one of their minions (The King Beyond the Wall) build up an army and attack. Fortunately, the creatures from the South attacked as well and ensured that no such devilish interbreeding can take place again. In fact, the Great Other/current Night's King is Hitler incarnate.

RE: the Night's Watch purpose being to guard the Night's King

I know history is really blurry, but the timeline is quite off against this idea.

In CoK we see a song about The NW riding in the Long Night in the battle for Dawn against the Others. ('the Night that ended').

NK was apparently 13th LC and around after the Wall and the Night Fort were built.

Adding all that up, seems NW had a purpose before NK went to the blue side.

The Others (Aryans) are actually a superior race of humanoids and built the Wall to segregate themselves from the lower barbarians like the Andals and the First Men. The entire Night's King thing was a debacle because they are strongly against interracial marriage as it goes against their practice of eugenics, so they have one of their minions (The King Beyond the Wall) build up an army and attack. Fortunately, the creatures from the South attacked as well and ensured that no such devilish interbreeding can take place again. In fact, the Great Other/current Night's King is Hitler incarnate.

Uns Arya Stark is obviously their queen, die princess that was promised, das champion of him of many faces.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins.

- Pledging loyalty to the NK.

It shall not end until my death.

- Only my death can pay for the King's life

I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory.

- For our true purpose is being of the night

I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.

- slight mistranslation it should say I am the sword of the darkness

I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn,

- Obviously a mistranslation

the horn that wakes the sleepers,

- I shall awake the white walkers

the shield that guards the realms of men.

- Slight mistranslation, it should say that guards the realm of the NK

I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

- The NK may be defeated but he'll return stronger and stuff.

Edit: coloring

RE: the Night's Watch purpose being to guard the Night's King

I know history is really blurry, but the timeline is quite off against this idea.

History can be sendstionlized.According to Old Nan"s retelling snow was 100ft deep.Given the events of the Fist and how conditions were nigh impossible to get around. We are expected to believe the NW rode out (from where? The Wall wasn't built yet) in 100ft or so snow and crazy conditions to push back sn army that out numbered them.That is a tall tale right there.

In CoK we see a song about The NW riding in the Long Night in the battle for Dawn against the Others. ('the Night that ended').

NK was apparently 13th LC and around after the Wall and the Night Fort were built.

Adding all that up, seems NW had a purpose before NK went to the blue side.

Perhaps the Night´s Watch was at first an organization of the Others... until the 13th LC, who crowned himself, and was eventually defeated by the Starks and the Wildlings.

Maybe the War for the Dawn wasn´t won by the First men, but actually a compromise.. setting a natural boundary (the wall) between the realms of men and the realms of the Others.. and the NW was supposed to guard the north (of the wall)..

when they defeated him history was rewritten, and men usurped the NW and reshaped it for themselves....

just a crackpot thought.

BTW, isn´t it suspicious that the CotF ended up actually on the wrong side of the Wall? maybe they didn´t help men built it,. Maybe we have it all backwards.

Isn´t it counterintuitive that the Wall is made of Ice and supposed to protect the realms of men against… ice monsters?

Posted something about this a while back, but I have a few crackpot ideas regarding this.

The Wall was built by, or with the help of the Others (There seems to be an extremely close tie to them and the Starks) to protect them from the South.

Since the Others require humans to make more of them (not just from the show, Crastor's wives basically straight out say it right before Sam and Gilly run off) it would be silly to wipe out their form of reproduction. Humans on the other hand are quite good at Crusading for causes.

The possessive form of Night makes me believe they are the watch of the night, rather than the Night Watch. Think of the linguistics, Demon's Guard as opposed to Demon Guard. Makes a big difference.

I'm pretty sure members of the Watch used to be able to be married (if not when the Night's King took a wife there would have been resistance off the bat, rather than down the line).

The Night's Watch may be there to watch the realms of men for the Others against the coming of the consuming flame (aka Dragons and the such). It may explain why the Valyrians never went to Westeros in force when magic was strong. Plus, what better way to keep people out of your territory than basically convince them that you are trying to get into theirs?

As far as the oath goes:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. - The Darkness gathers, they do all wear black and they begin their watch as brothers.

It shall not end until my death. - A pretty simple oath for life.

I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. - I'm pretty sure the wife section was added in later. Think the Catholic church as priests. They used to be able to marry but that created inheritance issues.

I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. - I am the sword in the darkness? Doesn't say whose sword it is, obviously they are fighting someone. May be fighting the flame. The watcher on the walls, doesn't say from which direction.

I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, - cold may burn, and bringing dawn may be what they mean to bring tomorrow. Tomorrow does require some preservation. Fire consumes, ice preserves.

the horn that wakes the sleepers, - I shall awake the white walkers

the shield that guards the realms of men. - The others need men to reproduce. They don't want them dead. Dragons on the other hand...out of control. Just saying.

I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come. - Another oath of loyalty.

Hurray heresy here.

In my opinion the real meaning of the Night's Watch is that they're watching or on the lookout for the great night. The theory that the wall was built after a treaty by the Others and the First Men/Children of the Forest that ended the first Other invasion in a draw is interesting but the wall being built at all would have suggested a win by the First Men/Children of the Forest.

He was the 13th. The other bit is that whole point plot of the story of life beyond the wall is that all of the tribes unite under mance because he promises to save them from the coming darkness. Tormond talks of the threat of the others. How they have to burn their dead or else they will rise again. The Others and woights cannot move beyond the wall. The wights have to be carried through the wall by the rangers. If the wall was built by the Others, why does it stop them and not the humans? Why are humans north of the wall at all, ever? Hella Cracky McCrackerton-pot

Archived