Why do people hate the Tyrells?

The Bittersteel

This is something that I just don't understand all that well. Many fans of the books seem to despise them but Wilas, Garlan and Margaery all seem talented, attractive and a good deal nicer than some of the scumbags that infest Westeros. Even Mace has a certain charm, being a bit of a buffoon but being kind to his children and a popular liege lord.

So what's with all the hate?

Shortsighted flip floppers. Picked the wrong side both times.

This. Also they let KL starve when they decided to back the 5th in line (or 2nd legitimate, if they suspected about Joff, Myrcella, and Tommen).

Also their sigil. I don't understand why anyone routes for the Greyjoys, so I chalk it up to the kraken. Guessing it's hard to really rally behind a rose.

I like them. Olenna is really awesome, Loras, Willas and Garlan as well. Margaery, I'm not so sure about. She's either the awesomest of all or just a stupid vain child.

And I don't really see them as hated. They are (albeit only superficially) good to the small folk which goes a long way in the reception.

And I don't really see them as hated. They are (albeit only superficially) good to the small folk which goes a long way in the reception.

I'd agree. They're just relatively opaque in the books. Some people may be irritated with, but I don't think it's hate like we seen directed at other characters/houses.

This. Also they let KL starve when they decided to back the 5th in line (or 2nd legitimate, if they suspected about Joff, Myrcella, and Tommen).

Also their sigil. I don't understand why anyone routes for the Greyjoys, so I chalk it up to the kraken. Guessing it's hard to really rally behind a rose.

While the starvation is very true, it is too subtle for the average reader. I didn't really catch it the first time myself. Towards the end they seem to be those who fight the hunger.

Roses are better than random tough animals. "I'm a wolf!" - "I'm a lion!" - "I'm a dragon!" - "I'm a fucking rose, go fuck yourselves!"

They're pretty neutral in my opinion. They're ambitious, even a bit ruthless, but not way out there with the Lannisters, Boltons, or Greyjoys. What does that make them - morally equivalent to the Martells, or just a shade worse than the Tullys ?

If the Tyrells generate some hate, in my opinion, it is probably from the way they operate - the always-charming, tad arrogant and superficial style. (And how much of that is really Mace Tyrell dragging down the average?)

While the starvation is very true, it is too subtle for the average reader. I didn't really catch it the first time myself. Towards the end they seem to be those who fight the hunger.

Roses are better than random tough animals. "I'm a wolf!" - "I'm a lion!" - "I'm a dragon!" - "I'm a fucking rose, go fuck yourselves!"

Agreed...I personally love them, (can't decide between them and the Martells though), and I rather like the idea that their sigil isn't an animal. Animals die eventually, but roses can endure. They may not thrive in the winter, but as long as they're tended to, they endure and grow strong again each spring.

Archived