Why do people hate the Tyrells?

The Bittersteel

As we do know there were Houses from Stormlands, Vale and Riverlands who were supporting Crown in RR. I don't see that Stannis or Renly got their possessions while they are alive. What Tyrells did was actually killing two birds with one shot: they expanded their wealth and took out of equation the most powerful rival claimant for Highgarden and Paramountship of Reach.

As for Garlan, he could have done what thousands of second sons were supposed to do. I mean, it's not like Garlan is the only second son in the Kingdom. Tyrells, as I said, are a perfect mix of Lannisters and Starks. That makes them far more dangerous than either lions or wolves.

It's a completly different scenario - Robert was fighting s rebellion, even he uses that term to describe the conflict - that he successfully won. He and Jon Arryn knew he was seen as a usurper by some, so they weren't 'overly harsh' in most cases (though Jon Connington was permanently stripped of everything in absentia due to his closeness to Rhaegar). Contrast this with the situation post battle of blackwater - the forces aligned to the 'legitimate' King of the 7 Kingdoms has won. For the most part they are willing to accept oaths of loyalty from highborn prisoners who will bend the knee, but in the case of those not captured and now scattered to the four winds, possibly dead, why shouldn't they forcibly attain their lands.

Re the Florents being the most 'powerful rival claimant', they certainly have their historic claims, but if I remember correctly Stannis is pretty dismissive in the prologue of ACOK re their contemporary capacity to muster much military power. I see House Hightower as the most credible contemporary alternative to the Tyrells. House Redwyne also has a huge navy and plenty of stature.

When I think of House Florent I think of a fading second-tier house that is so desperate and grasping that they change their religion and become zealous followers of the Lord of Light overnight. Some will no doubt see this as some act of political genius, but for me I strongly suspect they weren't held in terribly high regard by genuinely formidable/ influential Houses like Tarly, Redwyne, etc who made a firm and wise decision to stay with the Tyrells.

Also, just a final point. The Tyrells didn't make a mistake to back Renly - without the plot gift of the Shadow baby, Renly would most like have crushed Stannis (who I like) in open combat and then laid siege to KL. While Tywin may have arrived to lift the siege with his Harrenhal based levies, I think they would have been massively outnumbered.

I'm not sure we would have had the amphibious assault either - Renly may have been prepared to do battle with Tywin outside KL and then build siege towers, etc and storm the city again and again, or alternatively just declare there will be no sacking of the city if the Gold Cloaks hand over the Lannisters.

It's a completly different scenario - Robert was fighting s rebellion, even he uses that term to describe the conflict - that he successfully won. He and Jon Arryn knew he was seen as a usurper by some, so they weren't 'overly harsh' in most cases (though Jon Connington was permanently stripped of everything in absentia due to his closeness to Rhaegar). Contrast this with the situation post battle of blackwater - the forces aligned to the 'legitimate' King of the 7 Kingdoms has won. For the most part they are willing to accept oaths of loyalty from highborn prisoners who will bend the knee, but in the case of those not captured and now scattered to the four winds, possibly dead, why shouldn't they forcibly attain their lands.

Re the Florents being the most 'powerful rival claimant', they certainly have their historic claims, but if I remember correctly Stannis is pretty dismissive in the prologue of ACOK re their contemporary capacity to muster much military power. I see House Hightower as the most credible contemporary alternative to the Tyrells. House Redwyne also has a huge navy and plenty of stature.

When I think of House Florent I think of a fading second-tier house that is so desperate and grasping that they change their religion and become zealous followers of the Lord of Light overnight. Some will no doubt see this as some act of political genius, but for me I strongly suspect they weren't held in terribly high regard by genuinely formidable/ influential Houses like Tarly, Redwyne, etc who didn't go over to Stannis to begin with...

How are situation different? Two claimants, lords supporting them. Plus Aerys stripped Connington of all his titles and lands, but as we have seen his family still ruled the Griffin's Roost. So, as we have seen, taking all possessions from the House wasn't always done. And Tyrells had a perfect cause to take down the House with biggest claim on Highgarden and Reach.

I wasn't speaking about military power of Florents, but their claim. Certainly Hightowers trump every House in the Reach, and with perhaps exception of Lannisters, every House in Westeros. They are highly valued Reach house. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to give a bride to the King's brother. We dislike Florents for their idiotic members, but they are regarded with some respect, according to their status.

How are situation different? Two claimants, lords supporting them. Plus Aerys stripped Connington of all his titles and lands, but as we have seen his family still ruled the Griffin's Roost. So, as we have seen, taking all possessions from the House wasn't always done. And Tyrells had a perfect cause to take down the House with biggest claim on Highgarden and Reach.

I wasn't speaking about military power of Florents, but their claim. Certainly Hightowers trump every House in the Reach, and with perhaps exception of Lannisters, every House in Westeros. They are highly valued Reach house. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to give a bride to the King's brother. We dislike Florents for their idiotic members, but they are regarded with some respect, according to their status.

Jon Conningtons ancestors hold Griffins Roost that is true though King Robert divided up a significant portion of his lands to other houses from the region that fought as rebels

The situation is different because Robert needed to consolidate his power after a rebellion. Joffrey/ the Lannisters have just put down the biggest direct threat. Stannis after Blackwater is seriously on the ropes. The Florents make a conscious decision not to return to the King's peace - if they had wanted to keep Brightwater Keep, they should have struck their banners and turned on Stannis, or fled the battlefield (The reason I say battlefield is because had Lord Alester been with the Blackwater fleet it would have been him commanding it not his son). Instead Lord Alester tries to go behind Stannis' back to broker a peace with KL in ASOS.

The backchannelling to Lannisters after they've lost Brightwater Keep is the crowning glory in terms of their stupidity. The Reach and Westeros will be well rid of them.

I don't mind them.

I like Garlan a lot and wish we could see more of him.

Loras is an interesting character, and I have not hatred for him.

Margaery is fun to read as well, and I think her best parts are yet to come.

Mace is a tool.

Olenna is intriguing.

Willas is unknown so I have no major problem with him other than it would be interesting to see him pop up.

Overall, I rather like House Tyrell. Garlan is my favorite of the lot. ANd the point ambi76 makes about no pov's is a great point. No real insight into how the family feels about certain things, or an inner monologue to get dirt on the rest of the family so that sucks.

Oleanna is one of my favorite character, I haven't gotten to her in the books but in the show she owns, outwitting Tyrion, Tywin, and even Varys.

Margery and Loras are alright, and I would love if Willas and Garlan had more focus.

The only one I mildly dislike is Mace and that's because the show (mostly through his mother) has made him look a fool

Archived