Supernatural 3

The Amethyst Empress

The most annoying thing is that they are insisting on making this a Supernatural spin-off and yet there was nothing Supernatural about it. It's like they threw their own canon and mythology out the window. The CW is sort of my guilty pleasure and I kinda think I would have been interested in watching another show that's similar to The Originals, but definitely no way would I watch something that meant to be part of the Supernatural universe.

Even more annoying is that there was no progression in the real show. They didn't even bother to show Dean suffering from any of the Mark of Cain stuff.

I didn't realise that Bloodlines was out yet. It seems like they were talking title name change and casting a few months ago.

So is it a don't bother thing. Or is it just suffering from pilot blues.

I haven't seen the recent SN episode yet.

Ok I just watched it. That was Jarring and a bit painful to sit through.

I guess airing that "pilot" in an established show might have helped the spin-off. I might not have not watched the whole episode otherwise.

I can't tell if the acting was bad or what was happening. There was more "soap opera" melodrama than a supernatural episode usually contains..

But I did have a few moments where I may have chuckled.

"Is this a joke?"

"Do you hear a laugh track?"

and calling Dean; Buffy. And Sam's reaction to that.

Quite a bit of info stuff was crammed into this episode. That could have aired out better over the course of a season.

I get they may have wanted to have a "Cliff hanger" to entice people to tune into their show.

But the father reveal was poorly used in my opinion. That is something that could have been played out along the line.

I almost want to pin it on bad writing. But it was written by Andrew Dabb. He has produced and written a fair few supernatural episodes.

Maybe it was that it was taken out of the Sam and Dean POV and sharply put into theirs for one episode in the middle of an established story arc.

I don't know. It felt off and I am trying to understand why.

It was horrible. I have never hated a Supernatural episode before now but that one did the trick.

I was wondering if I had accidently recorded an episode of Vampire Diaries until the boys showed up.

I could totally go for a Charlie spin off. I wasn't a huge fan of Dorothy, but it would be interesting to see a CW take on Wizard of Oz crossed with Supernatural. I also wouldn't mind a Jodi/Charlie team-up. I keep hoping they will write an episode with both of them in it. I could also go for Rufus and Bobby in Omaha, and probably Men of Letters.

I could totally go for a Charlie spin off. I wasn't a huge fan of Dorothy, but it would be interesting to see a CW take on Wizard of Oz crossed with Supernatural. I also wouldn't mind a Jodi/Charlie team-up. I keep hoping they will write an episode with both of them in it. I could also go for Rufus and Bobby in Omaha, and probably Men of Letters.

While I didn't consider a Charlie and Jodi team up. I do now. Thanks for that. I picked the ones you did.

I also was a little interested in the Cain story line. But that just might be me coming off of a Psych marathon and liking the actor. As well as the way Timothy Omundson played Cain.

Oh hellz yes!!!

I miss Charlie :crying:

I couldn't sit through Bloodlines. It was so out of place. All these young whippersnappers running around and then all of the sudden there's Dean and Sam.

Back up and start all over. Redo if you please.

But.... As I was driving home the other night I tried desperately to catch up with a woman driving a black charger with plates that said SPRNTL!!!! And the little border around it said something about team Winchester :d

I wanted to drive by and honk and go \m/

:D

What a waste of an episode

It wasn't very good, and this late in the year when they should be setting up the end of the year, Oh F it, it was a waste, don't know why I was trying to fight it. Not saying that they won't be able to make a show out of it, but this wasn't Supernatural. And the end both dumb, and boring. IMO still not as bad as the one w/ the F ing cartoons.

The most annoying thing is that they are insisting on making this a Supernatural spin-off and yet there was nothing Supernatural about it.1 It's like they threw their own canon and mythology out the window2. The CW is sort of my guilty pleasure and I kinda think I would have been interested in watching another show that's similar to The Originals4, but definitely no way would I watch something that meant to be part of the Supernatural universe.

Even more annoying is that there was no progression in the real show. They didn't even bother to show Dean suffering from any of the Mark of Cain stuff.3

1. Yea, it seemed forced, sometimes adding in something completely new to spin off works, but this seemed like the spin off w/ cameo's by Sam and Dean.

2, the only thing about the canon and mythology that really seemed wrong was SAM AND DEAN HAVE BEEN TO CHICAGO BEFORE, and didn't know about this. No Hunter did?

3. Totally agree, this late in the season, there should have been at least some movement towards the season end ( that phone call at the end did not count).

4 Totally did not think about that, and IMO that could have been a better place to spin this off of. Take a (lesser) character out of NO (the Vamp w/ the frow, or the one they just killed off) and up to Chicago would have been better all around. Because of the different legends w/ Vamps and WW, they won't be able to cross over. Having a shapeshifter or Gen showing up in NO could have been fun.

I have to agree with this article (well some of them)

10 Supernatural spinoffs we'd watch in a heartbeat

Any of those except the Mary or John ( both would be more trouble then they would be worth) could be really good.

This might have worked say the first 2 or 3 seasons of SN, when they were only monster hunting but now? With Angels and Demons the base storylines, it just an awful fit.

So We got the Gen, WW, and Shapeshifters. the 4th got to be Vamps (we did see one) so what is the 5th family going to be?

So We got the Gen, WW, and Shapeshifters. the 4th got to be Vamps (we did see one) so what is the 5th family going to be?

I vaguely recall the mention of Ghouls. I haven't deleted the episode yet. So I could go check. I'm just not sure I want to do that to myself...

ETA: I checked. I didn't have to re-watch the whole thing. I found the spot fairly quickly. Margo wants to know if the Ghouls are on her side. A few moments later she says to tell the Ghouls and the Djinn and whoever else that she runs the family now.

And in the Club we see Vampire, WW, Djinn and of course the guy that walks in is a Shifter.

But being a pilot. Anything can change.

I guess I'm in in the minority that didn't hate it. It wasn't great but I thought it did a decent job of setting the new series up. I probably won't watch it, it's a little too soapy for me, but I thought it was a decent episode.

Disappointing episode for me. I am absolutely certain that I will not be tuning in to watch this spin-off - too soap opera for my taste. That why I gave up on Vampire Diaries. More disappointing, similar to last weeks episode, was that there was absolutely no plot progression in this episode.

At this point in the season it was frustrating to watch another episode that had no bearing on the season's main story arcs. I just hope that the writers do not end up cramming too much into the final three episodes as a result of these "filler" episodes. These filler/MoTW episodes used to be a strength of this show at one point in time. I find myself enjoying them less and less these days.

That has been my big complaint on an otherwise good season. I found myself not giving two craps about the Ghost Facers or Sheriff Jodi. Just don't care, because I care about the actual storyline. Give us the filler episodes early on in the season, not down the final stretch.

I guess I'm in in the minority that didn't hate it. It wasn't great but I thought it did a decent job of setting the new series up. I probably won't watch it, it's a little too soapy for me, but I thought it was a decent episode.

I just find it very difficult to judge. If this show weren't connected to Supernatural, I probably would have been interested in watching it. But since it's meant to be a Supernatural show and was given a backdoor pilot in place of a spn episode, it becomes a mess because, apart from monsters and a cameo from Sam and Dean, it's not Supernatural. Two of the monsters featured didn't follow spn canon. Skinchangers are supposed to shed their skin (unless they are an alpha, but the alpha is dead) and werewolves aren't supposed to be able to change whenever they want unless they are closely related to the Alpha. Several of the monsters are meant to be living in wet, dank, underground places (though I can overlook that because the living preferences have always been sold as preferences rather than fact). These changes in monster canon could have been address with a random comment like "oh, different breed of shifter" or whatever. They've done it before. Not killing straight up humans has also been sort of a SPN mainstay. This season, Dean killing random humans has been noted to be worrisome because of the Mark of Cain. Ennis just shoots the guy and no comments are made, not even some snarky thing from Dean that would play in with the MoC so as to at least attempt to connect it to the main plot. Then there's this whole thing where apparently no hunter or Men of Letters has ever heard of monster mafias in the major cities. Seriously?

I'm pretty sure I would have been interested in this show just because it checks off enough on my guilty pleasure list. But as something being sold as part of the Supernatural universe, I'm just not interested.

This episode was horrific for a lead-in to a new spin off show. I think the entire premiss is ridiculous. Some of the lines used were absolutely awful, referring to the "five families" and other similar nonsense.

To be frank, Supernatural has been on a downhill slide since season 6 IMO. I know there is fierce debate about this, but ever since the end of the Apocalypse storyline, with fewer Castiel sightings, and especially with the departure of Jim Beaver - something has just been missing for me I guess.

It just seems that the writers, producers, show runners, everyone in charge has been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with this program. I predict the new Bloodlines will suffer because of this, the foundation upon which it is being built having rotted away somewhat in the last few years.

Archived