King's Landing and Pyromancers

sartre#1

I am rereading the books again and many things come out, but I wonder why does it seem like all of the pyromancers are located mainly at King's Landing? The Maesters seem to be in many courts but this guild does not seem to really give services like the Maesters do. I was have been thinking about some build up in the magic and the potent weapon that the wild fire can be. Does anyone have any other good leads for this guild? Also since they seem to have been quite close to the Targaryen family in the past I wonder why they have not tried to send anyone to Daenerys like so many other people seem to be trying to do.

I have a hunch that wildfire is a targ secret weapon and that to have a branch in the domains of other great houses would be dangerous for the ruling dynasty. Ditto for faith and maesters.

The Pyromancers are the "older order", compared to the Maesters. They (and their knowledge of making wildfire) predates the Conquest by quite a lot of time. But currently, they have fallen on hard times.

The master Pyromancers are called "Wisdom", the Green Grace is addressed in the same way. Is there a conection?

Or is it just Ser Grandfather using honorary titles that do not conflict with "Your Grace" being reserved for his true queen / king?

The Maesters predate the Conquest as well, since King Torrhen brought some to the negotiations with Aegon, we just don´t know how far back the history of their order goes and in what ways it changed over the centuries.

The Maesters predate the Conquest as well, since King Torrhen brought some to the negotiations with Aegon, we just don´t know how far back the history of their order goes and in what ways it changed over the centuries.

Of course they do. By many, many years judging from the information about the Citadel. The Pyromancers are still noticeably older though,

One could start speculating about the Long Night, Wights/Others and the effect fire (or wildfire) has on them :cool4:

It is interesting that the Wisdoms became very close to the Targaryen family and then so many were killed by Jaime. They must hate him quite a lot, yet the guild supplied the Lannisters with the wildfire for the Battle in King's Landing plus more to burn down the Tower of the Hand. Since what I have read the guild has a lot of history so they must nurse this hatred of the Lannisters so I am wondering what game they are playing. Still I wonder why they have not sent some one to Daenerys. Also I wonder why she seems so clueless about her family. She is definitely rich enough now in the Last book to hire some good council or at least some history lessons. But I agree having control of wildfire could really enhance some battle range opportunities.

One other point is they must know a lot about poisons too just like the Maesters. This is just one of the many things I am wondering about when I reread these books.

What is the Greenseer connection about?

I wonder Hallyne and the guild must have gotten quite a bit of money for supplying so many containers of wildfire and if Cerci begins to trust them a lot she seems to have a knack for choosing bad advisors so I wonder if the the guild will get some revenge against the Lannisters later on.

Why do you assume they hate him. I'm sure even the pyromancers indulge in their own petty Game of Thrones lite. Heck, for all we know, the ones that currently run the order might sing Lannister praises. They might hate Jamie, but Cercei brought them out of their retirement, sort of speak, after the lull during the Robert's rule.

Still connected to the Alchemist Guild I have looked through the wiki a little but does anyone have any good links for more information about them? They seem to be mainly located in King's Landing, Oldtown is the domain of the Maesters, but would there be any guild members in that town also since it is one of the biggest in Westerlos. Thanks for any information that you can share.

I may be the only one interested in this. So Jaime killed 3 of the top wisdoms to keep the wildfire plot from going forward and killed the Mad King also. What would the wisdoms and the Alchemist Guild get out going through with this plot? They would have destroyed themselves and also any chance of being a guild in the future. If the plot would have gone through King's Landing would be gone but so would they? So basically the top 3 Wisdoms that were doing this must have been psychotically insane??? Just like the Mad King himself or was there some out for them?? Also every alchemist wold have been hunted down and killed if the plot went through due to the total craziness of it, wouldn't they? All of these Jars of Wildfire made in the books certain caches were fond but still there must be many more. How many members in this guild I wonder.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pyromancers are the "older order", compared to the Maesters. They (and their knowledge of making wildfire) predates the Conquest by quite a lot of time. But currently, they have fallen on hard times.

If they are the older order than the maesters, and they only exist in KL, and KL was built after the conquest - they are not from Westeros at all.

???

And where do you think those headquarters were located before?

My hunch is Dragonstone, and before that Valyria.

Maybe Oldtown. Or Lannisport. Or Gulltown. Or maybe they lacked a headquarter as such, being spread across a couple dozen kingdoms.

That's pretty much impossible. The Pyromancers are a Westerosi order, no connection to Essos.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing. If the Pyromancers had a lot of older knowledge then why were they not in some other places? Kings Landing is a new city built up quickly so even their guild hall must be pretty new and then the Wisdoms kept a lot of knowledge to themselves, but they seem so small actually for a guild that has been around awhile. Oldtown to me seems the domain of the Maesters. I am going to read the conversatons very closely between Tyrion and the latest leader Hallyne.

Pyromancers' reputation had suffered after the Mad King and since the dragons had died out. Most of the other kingdoms in Westeros probably had no interest in their services.

Probably way earlier.

The Pyromancers dealt mostly with magic, relying heavily on it. I assume that after the Doom of Valyria (or even earlier), there wasn't enough magic to go around, reducing the Pyromancers attractiveness to customers and recruits, sending them on a downwards spiral.

Furthermore, the Maesters actively oppose magic, maybe they took a hand as well. It's a rival order anyway.

Archived